Many Random Rivers tool in Scenario Editor

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Many Random Rivers tool in Scenario Editor

Post by supermop »

I was thinking again today that the scenario editor feels like it is missing a way to run the river generator in a similar way to the 'Many Random Industries / Towns" tools.

Sometimes a heightmap may require a bit of tweaking to sort out obstructed valleys, or other impediments to river generation first, so it would be nice to be able to run the generator manually after making these changes, rather than correcting or re-building odd and dead-end rivers manually. Additionally, the user may want to add more rivers than they got on an initial run.

Best,
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Many Random Rivers tool in Scenario Editor

Post by Alberth »

Scenario editor is in need of a lot of love from a programmer to make it easier to use.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Alberth wrote:Scenario editor is in need of a lot of love from a programmer to make it easier to use.
Indeed this is true, and the river generator itself could use some work (I know there have been various efforts by others to create improved river generators). That said, even something as basic as a command or button to just re-run the generator would help a lot, similar to how the world generation steps of town and industry placement can be run, and re-run within the SE with the "Many Random ..." buttons.
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

Alberth wrote:Scenario editor is in need of a lot of love from a programmer to make it easier to use.
There was once a programmer named Wolf which wanted to give some love to the scenario editor... :roll:
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

I wonder what happened to him.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Truth is here, especially since the scenario editor can't handle things as simple as lowering / leveling / etc terrain in the same way as during a game, thus making creation of mountains or other landscapes quite long.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”