THE OPENTTD 1.9.0 TITLE SCREEN COMPETITION

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I am honored this year to organize the OpenTTD 1.9.0 title screen competition. The rules haven't significantly changed from past competitions, but due to the new features and changes to this year's release, you may want to download and play the current 1.9.0 betas to take advantage of them.

Deadline for submissions will be FRIDAY, MARCH 8 2019 23:59:00 UTC. Voting will take place for a one-week period between SUNDAY, MARCH 10 AND SUNDAY, MARCH 17[. If there is not a single clear winner then we will have a one-week run-off vote between the top vote-earners.

All entries will be posted to this topic, entrants should submit a savegame and a screenshot (800x600 max if you wish it to be displayed in the forum). You may change your entry at any time, but only one entry will be accepted by the close of entries. If updating, please post a new entry and either delete the old entry, or PM me to have it removed. Upon the close of entries, a Wiki topic will be published with all games showing both OpenGFX and TTD base graphics in multiple screen resolutions.

TITLE SCREEN COMPETITION GUIDELINES:
  • Think of this as a first impression of the game. Nice looks and appealing to as many people as possible is more impressive than trying to build the biggest stations or most complex junctions.
  • A map size of either 128*128 or 256*256 with a file size of ~150KiB is acceptable. Smaller sizes do not provide enough space on larger screens, but larger sizes are going to be wasted and not seen on smaller screens.
  • Remember that the viewport for the title screen will start in the top-left corner, and expands down and to the right as screen sizes increase. Try placing your most interesting stuff near the top-left corner, but also think about expanding your title game to include larger screen sizes.
  • Show as many different features as possible, and show how they should be use. For example, show the difference between block signals and path-based signals, standard road stations and drive-through stations, multiple rail types, etc. Don't forget ships and aircraft!
  • It should look nice in both OpenGFX and original TTD graphics. Also consider using other base graphics sets and environments to test how your game appears.
  • Breakdowns will automatically be disabled. Cheating for money is OK. Unprofitable companies are OK. Building with multiple companies is OK. Building the game in the Scenario Editor is OK.
  • Do not use AIs, GameScripts or NewGRFs. These are automatically disabled.
  • The game must be created in a clean, master branch version of OpenTTD or it's official binaries. The game cannot be created in custom modified versions of OpenTTD or in popular patch packs such as JGR Patch Pack, LtJoker's Patch Pack, Reddit client, CityMania client, etc.
Good luck to everybody submitting entries, and remember to have fun! We thank you for your continued support and contributions!
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: THE OPENTTD 1.9.0 TITLE SCREEN COMPETITION

Post by acs121 »

Here's my entry.
Attachments
S.T.R.A.F, 24 Mai 2042.png
(735.34 KiB) Not downloaded yet
titlescreen.sav
(90.16 KiB) Downloaded 300 times
ALEXbr
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ALEXbr »

Here I go, with an other entry for this contest. It's set in the subtropical climate (global warming is real!), and, any suggestions are welcome!
EDIT: Slightly changed the entry.
Attachments
TITLEME.sav
(59.76 KiB) Downloaded 241 times
Roșiorii de Vede Transport, 21 Nov 2041.png
(1.16 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by ALEXbr on 21 Feb 2019 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
ⒶALEX
My screenshots (OpenTTD); what should I do? Also, AltSFX!
I❤️OTTD
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

I made a Toyland game a little while back because it could be fun.
It may be too small or centered poorly.
Attachments
openttd_2019-02-17_21-08-20.jpg
openttd_2019-02-17_21-08-20.jpg (461.1 KiB) Viewed 1223 times
titlegame-toyland.sav
(72.76 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

jfs wrote:I made a Toyland game a little while back because it could be fun.
whenever anyone thought that in the past, the idea died very quickly after seeing a screenshot with original TTD graphics.
baysupercool
Engineer
Engineer

Post by baysupercool »

I like the current title screen so I made something similar. Here's mine.

Edit: small update (more vehicles)
Attachments
Unnamed, 13. Nis 2044.png
(1.25 MiB) Not downloaded yet
title190.sav
(56.51 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
Last edited by baysupercool on 25 Feb 2019 16:02, edited 1 time in total.
eV_Vgen
Engineer
Engineer

Post by eV_Vgen »

Seems like everyone decided to go tropical this time :)
I fluffed it a bit, though. Just realised that you cannot delete signs posted in the editor only after finishing the map. Well, anyway - feels dumb not to share after all the work done.
Attachments
Fatston Transport, 2081-06-17.png
(1.17 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Fatston Transport, 2081-06-11.sav
(141.7 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
Plus C
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Plus C »

Here's my large tropical city with an industrial sector and harbor but with some extra polish.
Attachments
Title Transport.png
(718.24 KiB) Not downloaded yet
1.9.0 Title.sav
(117.64 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

I thought I'd give this a go as well.
Attachments
JGR Transport & Logistics, 2039-06-15.png
(1.12 MiB) Not downloaded yet
JGR Transport & Logistics - Title Game.sav
(52.9 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
triolus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by triolus »

I liked the title screen of a few versions ago that had a lot of tunnels. I went for a mountain town with a rail network of tunnels underneath, road vehicles on the surface, and boats delivering supplies. A small monorail connects the main rail network to the nearby airport.
Attachments
Tunnel Transport TITLE GAME.sav
Tunnel Transport Company
(151.55 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
title screen competition.png
Representative screenshot
(1.65 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Sooo, is this still happening? It's been almost two weeks since the deadline...?(
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Andrew350 wrote:Sooo, is this still happening? It's been almost two weeks since the deadline...?(
It totally is happening. Screenshots and voting page will follow shortly. slightly delayed. But still in time :)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I apologize for the delay. I had a series of crises at work and I lost track. And then I had a death in the family.

I will try to get this organized in the next week.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

So meanwhile I created an overview for all savegames.
Deadline for votes is Friday, March 29th, 23:59:00 UTC.

Due to the release schedule there will be one round of votes only. Every person can vote for as many savegames as he or she likes. The savegame with most votes will win.
Please send your vote to info@openttd.org listing the savegame numbers which you vote for or send a forum message to planetmaker.

Pages with screenshots of all submissions can be found in the following resolutions. Each page has screenshots made with the OpenGFX, aBase, NightGFX and the TTD base set:
Find the overview here.

Sadly I had to exclude the entry from acs121 as it contained a NewGRF.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Somewhat last chance to cast your vote.

Please have a look at https://devs.openttd.org/~planetmaker/titlegame/round1/ and send me until tomorrow a list of your favourite candidates for the titlegame for the upcoming 1.9.0 release

Cheers,
planetmaker
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Thank you to all participants, especially the people who created the entries for this contest.

This year it was a particular close call as the entries are all great and do well in showing many aspects of the game.
Thus the winner won by exactly one vote more than 2nd and 3rd place. Congratulations, JGR!

A pull-request for the 1.9 branch with the savegame has been submitted and will become part of the release.

Count of votes is shown here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

An overview over the savegames can still be found at https://devs.openttd.org/~planetmaker/titlegame/round1/

Cheers,
planetmaker

Return to “General OpenTTD”