Whats coming next with OpenTTD?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Audiopulse
Engineer
Engineer

Whats coming next with OpenTTD?

Post by Audiopulse »

Hey all,

Thank you to everyone who's been contributing to make OpenTTD happen. I had had lots of fun playing solo, online or with my sister!

Ive seen the improvements over time with pathing, signals, cargodist... OpenTTD is quite good the way it is, but it seems there are still things happening. Where is the game heading to? Is there a big topic everyone is thinking about or is it almost there with not much left to give attention to?

cheers,

Matthias
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Whats coming next with OpenTTD?

Post by acs121 »

A version 1.9.0 is in development and will include more fun features, such as group colors, different ship movement on locks, etc.
If you want more features, try JGR's Patchpack (available on the forums) or Spring 2013 (available here) patchpack which contains more interesting features, although a few of the features from JGR also are in Spring 2013.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Audiopulse wrote:Hey all,

Thank you to everyone who's been contributing to make OpenTTD happen. I had had lots of fun playing solo, online or with my sister!

Ive seen the improvements over time with pathing, signals, cargodist... OpenTTD is quite good the way it is, but it seems there are still things happening. Where is the game heading to? Is there a big topic everyone is thinking about or is it almost there with not much left to give attention to?

cheers,

Matthias
As mentioned, 1.9.0 is set to be released in the next few weeks. You may want to go through the changelog to see what exactly has changed. The developers have also started publishing a new blog letting users know what features are being planned and coming up.
Audiopulse
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Audiopulse »

That blog sounds great - where can I find it?

Also thanks for pointing me at those patches. I had avoided patches in general so far ... thats just the way I go with most games: Mostly Vanilla with few, handpicked Mods/GRFs.
I will look into JGRs Patchpack and Spring 2013, though ;-)

Looking forward to 1.9!
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

The blog post is on the website
Audiopulse wrote:Ive seen the improvements over time with pathing, signals, cargodist... OpenTTD is quite good the way it is, but it seems there are still things happening. Where is the game heading to? Is there a big topic everyone is thinking about or is it almost there with not much left to give attention to?
You can make things happen. You can fork OpenTTD on github and contribute to it.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Audiopulse
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Audiopulse »

Not quite. Or at least not now - I got only very basic knowledge of coding and lack the time and need to learn it properly right now.

I am good with graphics ans might contribute with that some time, though.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Audiopulse wrote:Not quite. Or at least not now - I got only very basic knowledge of coding and lack the time and need to learn it properly right now.

Neither of us was born with any of this knowledge ;)
If you're good with creating graphics: by all means, please do so. Start drawing sprites - then half the task or more for whatever set is already done.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Audiopulse wrote:Not quite. Or at least not now - I got only very basic knowledge of coding and lack the time and need to learn it properly right now.

That's perfectly ok though. We contribute in any way we can. I cannot code, I cannot draw, so my contribution is to ban all the fools who upset me on this forum. :mrgreen:

In all seriousness, as long as we keep a friendly attitude to the developers who spend their free time voluntarily developing a free game, and give constructive and helpful feedback where requested, all is good.

If you feel like having a try at drawing, go create a topic and have a try at some trains or buildings or stations or whathaveyou. It is always very welcome.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Audiopulse
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Audiopulse »

I am superb at Banhammering. Care to have me as an evil Minion? :D

Ah well - I would love to try one or two ideas with Zephyrs Mars-GFX ... I cant find all GRFs on Bananas, though, to test the set first. I got only Landscapes.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Audiopulse wrote:I am superb at Banhammering. Care to have me as an evil Minion? :D

Ah well - I would love to try one or two ideas with Zephyrs Mars-GFX ... I cant find all GRFs on Bananas, though, to test the set first. I got only Landscapes.
There only exist some early development versions on the DevZone binary server: http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/ - the set is far from finished in any sense.
All sources (that is code and graphics) are - as far as I know - available at https://kallithea.openttdcoop.org/.

In either case, search for 'mars' or 'opengfx-mars' and you get a couple of repositories for the different NewGRF, including one which contains most (all?) graphics for the sets.
Audiopulse
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Audiopulse »

Yes - its unfinished - but is said to be playable. Zephyrs mentioned he'd need bugreports above all, so one way to contribute would be simply using whats there so far.

I would go with the second link and try them tonight. Can you help me with what "ogfx_mars_ext" and "ogfx_mars_ext_rv" are? I would gess them to be earlier versions of the set?
Same with "opengfx-mars" - the Summary reads as if this was only some type of container that would include the following GRFs.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I have done it before, so I assume it is still possible. There are many GRFs no this forum, some of them have licences where it can be implied they allow you to decompile the GRF back into NML (i believe it is NML), which allows you to look at how they're made, incase you're unsure how to put together a GRF.
GRFs can be anything from a single train reskin, to many dozens of new trains with their own unique stats, so don't be put off thinking you need to do some huge set to start with.

Unless its been altered, i don't think decompiled GRFs include any comments that were in the original, probably as the entire point of commented 'code' is to not be included in the compile.
I believe I decompiled a few GRFs when i was unhappy with their own settings for super slow (in some cases) vehicle loading. I can't think of any other way i would have achieved it, so i can only assume i somehow decompiled and recompiled it. Although this was many many years ago, it may have changed.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
CharlyHRO
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by CharlyHRO »

acs121 wrote:A version 1.9.0 is in development and will ...
... be released on April 1st 2019? Well, just a wild guess.
moe moe pipebomb
Audiopulse
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Audiopulse »

Redirect Left wrote:*snip*
Ill leave this here as reference: http://pikka.users.tt-forums.net/wiki/i ... GRF_coding

Return to “General OpenTTD”