Railtype selection sprites & GUI

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Railtype selection sprites & GUI

Post by Erato »

peter1138 wrote:Don't forget to draw and include your custom toolbar icons. This looks a bit bland:

I have never seen such a thing. Is this a patch, or part of the latest update, or...
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Ufiby's Road, Tram, Trolleybus and Rail track (renewed)

Post by michael blunck »

Erato wrote:
peter1138 wrote:Don't forget to draw and include your custom toolbar icons. This looks a bit bland:
I have never seen such a thing. Is this a patch, or part of the latest update, or...
Yeah. Makes no sense and it's pretty much redundant.

regards
Michael
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Erato »

michael blunck wrote:
Erato wrote:
Yeah. Makes no sense and it's pretty much redundant.
Quite the contrary, this seems like an amazingly useful feature to make it easier to scroll through all the tracktypes you have installed. I'd love to have this, it seems extremely useful, especially now that OpenTTD allows for up to 64 railtypes. So I was wondering what this is from.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Either the latest version of RATT, either the nightlies, but I haven't played any of them.

EDIT : Turns out it's from the latest nightly. Quite cool actually.
Last edited by acs121 on 13 Mar 2019 17:06, edited 1 time in total.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Erato wrote: Quite the contrary, this seems like an amazingly useful feature to make it easier to scroll through all the tracktypes you have installed. I'd love to have this, it seems extremely useful, especially now that OpenTTD allows for up to 64 railtypes. So I was wondering what this is from.
LOL. For what purpose would you "need" 64 railtypes? And seriously, information derived from a 16 x 16 icon would be quite limited. Especially in contrast to such large number.

regards
Michael
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

michael blunck wrote:
Erato wrote:For what purpose would you "need" 64 railtypes? And seriously, information derived from a 16 x 16 icon would be quite limited. Especially in contrast to such large number.
I admit it... 64 railtypes is about useless, as even with this GRF, Maglev Track Types, Vacuum Tube or others, you're not even at 32, so unless you want to make very special-looking railtypes, 64 isn't useful.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

Probably nobody needs 64 right now, however there were requests for more than 16.

When provided with appropriate icon it's somewhat prettier, as below. These icons are not new, they are provided by the default rail types and rail type sets are able to (and should) provide them too, but it seems many authors did not do so.

It's possible to provide 2x zoom icons for the GUI as well, if you want even more detail...

He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Erato »

peter1138 wrote:<snip>When provided with appropriate icon it's somewhat prettier, as below. These icons are not new, they are provided by the default rail types and rail type sets are able to (and should) provide them too, but it seems many authors did not do so.
<snip>
How would one provide such sprites? There is no such callback in the NML Specs. When included, how would they be made visible?
Michi_cc
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Michi_cc »

Erato wrote:How would one provide such sprites? There is no such callback in the NML Specs. When included, how would they be made visible?
It is simply one of the gui sprites (you can probably guess which from the screenshot).
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

michael blunck wrote:LOL. For what purpose would you "need" 64 railtypes?
See, also: "There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home." - Ken Olson, Digital Equipment Corporation, 1977

Give it five years and we'll have players pushing up against the 64 limit. :)
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

kamnet wrote: Give it five years and we'll have players pushing up against the 64 limit. :)
I have seen Peter's screenshot of a 256 railtypes menu. :P

Given that nobody wants to use all 64 railtypes in a single game, the underlying problem seems to be that you can't pick single railtypes from a bunch of loaded railtype sets.

Would it be possible to "hide" railtypes like it is possible for vehicles? Seems to be the same motive here.

regards
Michael
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Erato »

Michi_cc wrote:
Erato wrote:How would one provide such sprites? There is no such callback in the NML Specs. When included, how would they be made visible?
It is simply one of the gui sprites (you can probably guess which from the screenshot).
I thought as much, but I already have all 16 gui sprites drawn & defined and still nothing.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

Erato wrote:I thought as much, but I already have all 16 gui sprites drawn & defined and still nothing.
This minor feature is not in any release yet. However if the icons appear in the construction tool bar correctly, it will also work in the list when it does get released. It will NOT be in 1.9.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Railtype selection sprites & GUI

Post by planetmaker »

On request I split this off from the original thread at viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84591
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

peter1138 wrote:
Erato wrote:I thought as much, but I already have all 16 gui sprites drawn & defined and still nothing.
This minor feature is not in any release yet. However if the icons appear in the construction tool bar correctly, it will also work in the list when it does get released. It will NOT be in 1.9.
Very interesting!
A tiny suggestion, could it be possible to choose what icon is shown? Either one from the gui-sprites or a custom one?

As I personally see the handyness with the 64 railtypes availability in having the same basic rails, but lots of differences in the look of signals/catenary/tunnel-entrances, etc.
So having a choice in icon would be handy (so for example tracktypes with only differences in the look of tunnels, can get a tunnel-icon in front of them).
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Erato »

peter1138 wrote:
How would I, as a developer, get the game to recognise these symbols. Are they a 17th gui sprite, for instance?
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

Erato wrote:How would I, as a developer, get the game to recognise these symbols. Are they a 17th gui sprite, for instance?
No, it's simply the existing second icon within the GUI sprites.
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Erato »

peter1138 wrote:
Erato wrote:How would I, as a developer, get the game to recognise these symbols. Are they a 17th gui sprite, for instance?
I see. Seeing as it is still in development, can it be made into a separate GUI sprite, which would default to the second icon when not defined specifically?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

peter1138 wrote:
Vehicles have a provision to provide separate GUI sprites for purchase list and different GUI purposes... via callback or extra_callback_info1 in particular: https://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/N ... tes_in_GUI / https://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/Action2/Vehicles
Similar behaviour here sounds very reasonable.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

Quast65 wrote:tracktypes with only differences in the look of tunnels
That definitely sounds like a bad feature. A better feature would be the ability to specifically choose a tunnel head style.

Return to “Graphics Development”