OpenTTD on macOS Mojave problems

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

sikkim
Engineer
Engineer

OpenTTD on macOS Mojave problems

Post by sikkim »

Hello,

I am under macOS Mojave and since the version 10.14.3 was published, I can not launch the game anymore. It crash instantly.

I did my little investigation and found out that in fact, the binary is compiled in PPC and i386 architecture. MacOS Mojave 10.14.3 (and later) is only compatible with x86_64 binaries.

In the future, to prevent people from having to compile the binaries themselves & install Xcode, could you compile OpenTTD into x86_64?

Code: Select all

admin@MBP:/Applications/OpenTTD/.releases/1.8.0/OpenTTD.app/Contents/MacOS$ ./openttd -d 0.0.0.0
Killed: 9
admin@MBP:/Applications/OpenTTD/.releases/1.8.0/OpenTTD.app/Contents/MacOS$ ./openttd 
Killed: 9
admin@MBP:/Applications/OpenTTD/.releases/1.8.0/OpenTTD.app/Contents/MacOS$ file openttd 
openttd: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures: [i386:Mach-O executable i386] [ppc]
openttd (for architecture i386):	Mach-O executable i386
openttd (for architecture ppc):	Mach-O executable ppc

planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: OpenTTD on macOS Mojave problems

Post by planetmaker »

Can you try with one of our recent nightlies whether they work for you?

The compile-farm has been completely rewritten since 1.8.0 was released and should produce binaries more suitable for modern macOS versions.

https://www.openttd.org/downloads/opent ... atest.html
sikkim
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sikkim »

WOW! Super-fast answer, thanks!

The proposed version works perfectly, great. I was afraid to use a "nightly" version; it is often said that they are unstable.

Thanks again!
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

well, "unstable" means completely different things across different projects.

as openttd is pretty mature by now, completely broken nightly builds are relatively unlikely, but errors can always slip in. also, as we are approaching a new release relatively soon, the most experimental features that could potentially break things if improperly tested, probably won't be merged before that release.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”