would like some suggestions on networks

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

mynamewontfi
Engineer
Engineer

would like some suggestions on networks

Post by mynamewontfi »

First of all if this should be in the saved games section would it be possible for a mod to move it, i am kind of asking for advice and ideas though so i thought it would be fine here? it just has a game attached :lol:

I have been playing this current game for around 3 months now, and currently have all industries apart from oil connected (I plan to do oil later in the game). I have built a separate network for each industry type so the lines do not get too congested, and I have spent a lot of time “trying” to make everything look authentic and nice.
My next planned network that I have started to build (Gonnton) is the passenger/mail network.
ANYWAYS…. I will get to the point!
As the passenger network junctions will need to give trains options to travel in every direction should I integrate the passenger lines into the industry lines, I plan to make the passenger network quite large so over time I would imagine that it would give other trains new route options, but will the passenger route suffer from the excess traffic ?(
I suppose the only way to find out is to build it to find out for sure but what are your personal experiences and what would you guys suggest?
Attachments
Precision Transport (UK).sav
(235.42 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: would like some suggestions on networks

Post by Alberth »

I guess it depends on what you consider fun.

I usually don't bother about passengers, and slowly build a single network for all cargo traffic. (Busy Bee gives me random connections to make, and whenever I can re-use some existing part of the network, I attach to it rather than build new tracks.)

If I do build passenger networks, I normally keep them separate from the cargo traffic, pax trains typically run on electric rather than diesel (or worse, they use mono-rail or maglev which is even faster), so getting them onto a single network is, let's say, a challenge, and I don't always want to have that problem.

On the other hand, yes it's fun (for me at least) having a network with problems so I can re-design and expand it, until it runs smoothly.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
mrjack2
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mrjack2 »

You'll generally find that lines get overloaded. As such it's better to give some independence between different lines. Personally, not only is my passenger network separate from the freight network, but my passenger lines rarely have ANY junctions at all where tracks split or merge (and my freight networks have few either)... Passengers transfer between lines at stations, but trains are confined to a single (double tracked) line with its own platforms. This might sound excessive, but it makes it much easier to use the full capacity of a line.
ANIKHTOS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ANIKHTOS »

mrjack2 wrote:You'll generally find that lines get overloaded. As such it's better to give some independence between different lines. Personally, not only is my passenger network separate from the freight network, but my passenger lines rarely have ANY junctions at all where tracks split or merge (and my freight networks have few either)... Passengers transfer between lines at stations, but trains are confined to a single (double tracked) line with its own platforms. This might sound excessive, but it makes it much easier to use the full capacity of a line.
well last time i played i went to very compact high output lines and stations
with some extreme stations which had a very nice input output

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=83287

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”