Server List question - different version of OpenTTD

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

trpyed
Engineer
Engineer

Server List question - different version of OpenTTD

Post by trpyed »

At https://www.openttd.org/en/servers I noticed that there are servers with different versions of OpenTTD.

I am not asking why there are different versions, but what purpose does it serve to list the different versions?

Please and thanks
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Server List question - different version of OpenTTD

Post by planetmaker »

trpyed wrote:At https://www.openttd.org/en/servers I noticed that there are servers with different versions of OpenTTD.

I am not asking why there are different versions, but what purpose does it serve to list the different versions?

Please and thanks
You can connect to a server only if you have that exact same version of OpenTTD.

OpenTTD runs basically everything locally and only exchanges the commands. And as different versions progress the game differently, the game state would eventually differ between client and server if you had a different version than the server.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

if you look at the server list from your client ingame, instead of on the website, it will sort the ones matching your version at the top, so you can easily see if there are compatible servers out there.
trpyed
Engineer
Engineer

Post by trpyed »

planetmaker wrote:
trpyed wrote:At https://www.openttd.org/en/servers I noticed that there are servers with different versions of OpenTTD.

Please and thanks
You can connect to a server only if you have that exact same version of OpenTTD.

OpenTTD runs basically everything locally and only exchanges the commands. And as different versions progress the game differently, the game state would eventually differ between client and server if you had a different version than the server.
Yes, I am aware of that.

But why are the other servers listed in the first place that a player can not connect to unless the same version? Red vs green.

Note when you answer the question, be sure to exclude (not include) NewGRFs. Green vs yellow.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

trpyed wrote:But why are the other servers listed in the first place that a player can not connect to unless the same version? Red vs green.
Because often players are looking for a particular server (eg they want to play with a friend), and it is useful for them to know what newgrfs or game version they need. If unjoinable servers were simply hidden, it would be far harder for players to diagnose the problem.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

And when you are looking at the server list on the website, it has no way to know what version you want to run, of course.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.

Return to “General OpenTTD”