[OTTD] Cpt. K's Heightmap Emporium

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).

Favourite heightmap

Mountains by the Sea
5%
Ridged Peninsula
No votes
Cliffside Hills
No votes
River Valley Floodplains
5%
Stardust Coast
No votes
Capstan Isles
No votes
Riverside Mountains
No votes
Mouth of the River
15%
Northland Coves
5%
Ridged Coastland
No votes
Windswept Valley
5%
Patchwork Isles
No votes
Morningstar Peninsula
10%
Volcanic Archipelago
5%
Archipelago
20%
Stripe Archipelago
10%
Tranquil Channel
5%
Meandering Islands
10%
Sealands
5%
Boundless Sealands
No votes

Total votes: 20

CaptainKlutz
Engineer
Engineer

[OTTD] Cpt. K's Heightmap Emporium

Post by CaptainKlutz »

BaNaNas is broken and Musa doesn't let you upload new heightmaps so here I am. (EDIT: these are now all available on Bananas)

Cpt.K's Mountains by the Sea 1.0

A rectangular 1:2 map of hills gently sloping into the sea between mountain ranges. Includes a river mouth and small islands. Suitable for all climates.
For 256x512 games, 20 max height is recommended. For 512x1024, 36 is a good starting point to finding a map style that suits you.
[+] Spoiler
Cpt.K's Ridged Peninsula 1.0

A square map of hilly ridges on a peninsula, jutting into the sea. Suitable for all climates.
For 1024x1024 games, a max height of 40 or above is recommended.
[+] Spoiler
Cpt.K's Cliffside Hills 1.0

A square map of rolling hills falling sharply into the sea. The sharp descent provides a challenge for servicing water-based industries. Suitable for all climates.
For 1024x1024 games, a max height of 36 or above is recommended.
[+] Spoiler
Cpt.K's River Valley Floodplains 1.0

A square map of a wide river valley and smooth floodplains flanked by steep mountains. Suitable for all climates.
For 1024x1024 games, a max height of 36 or above is recommended.
[+] Spoiler
All the above can be found in the attached .zip folder. Extract it inside your OpenTTD/scenario/heightmap directory.

Gingerly accepting requests and ideas but I rarely pull data from real-world locations.

Created using World Machine, L3DT, ASTER(30m) data and Paint.NET
Distributed under CC-BY 3.0
Attachments
Cpt K's Heigthmaps.zip
(4.88 MiB) Downloaded 1270 times
Last edited by CaptainKlutz on 18 May 2020 10:19, edited 1 time in total.
kokutetsu
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [OTTD] Cpt. K's Heightmap Emporium

Post by kokutetsu »

That second one reminds me of the outline of Michigan, minus the Yoop.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I'm a big fan of archipelago style maps, with one or two larger islands and several smaller. This is what both my scenarios in the signature include, for example.

In regards to the above, the first one looks neat but I'd like to increase the height of it even more the further away we get from the sea. Proper mountains, yay!
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

I like the river one. :)
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

Cliffside Hills reminds me a bit of Hampshire.
CaptainKlutz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CaptainKlutz »

4 new maps now available on Bananas:

Stardust Coast
[+] Spoiler
Capstan Isles
[+] Spoiler
Riverside Mountains
[+] Spoiler
Mouth of the River
[+] Spoiler
CaptainKlutz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CaptainKlutz »

3rd update now out with 4 new maps being added to Bananas!

Northland Coves: A square map of fjord-like mountains and valleys sloping gently into a cove. Alpine climate recommended.
For 2048x2048 games, a max height of 50 or below is recommended.
[+] Spoiler
Ridged Coastland: A square map featuring long, steep mountain ranges separating smooth valleys leading towards the ocean. Suitable for all climates.
For 2048x2048 games, a max height of 50 or above is recommended.
[+] Spoiler
Windswept Valley: A square map full of small, round hills with ravines flanking a huge canyon-like valley. Suitable for all climates.
For 2048x2048 games, a max height of 50 is recommended.
[+] Spoiler
Patchwork Isles: A square map that's great for multiplayer games. A large variety of landscapes, from jagged coasts and smooth rises, to sharp peaks and rolling hills, populate an idyllic island chain. Suitable for all climates.
For 2048x2048 games, a max height of 50 or above is recommended.
[+] Spoiler
CaptainKlutz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CaptainKlutz »

4th volume out with 4 maps designed for and used on Olionkey's popular JGRPP server.
Morningstar Peninsula: A 1:2 rectangular map of a coastline where sloping mountains dissolve into a sea dotted with round islands. Suitable for all climates.
For 2040x4096 games, a max height between 20 and 70 is recommended.
[+] Spoiler
Volcanic Archipelago: A square map designed for multiplayer games. Large, windswept islands, dominated at their centres by volcanic mountain chains, provide varied terrain for all kinds of gameplay.
For 4096x4096 games, a max height of 30-80 is recommended.
[+] Spoiler
Archipelago: A 2:1 rectangular map containing many islands separated by large channels of water. Each island is unique, with a different steepness and difficulty of terrain.
For 2048x4096 games, a max height of 30-80 is recommended.
[+] Spoiler
Stripe Archipelago: A 2:1 rectangular map with a large mountainous island at its centre. Surrounding it is an archipelago that is diverse in both the sizes and terrains of the islands.
For 2048x4096 games, a max height of 30-60 is recommended.
[+] Spoiler
CaptainKlutz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CaptainKlutz »

5th volume of heightmaps out, inspired by Rico's suggestion that I've never released flat or almost-flat maps before.

Tranquil Channel: A 1:2 rectangular map of a slow flowing, wide river with plenty of islands and rivulets. Suitable for all climates.
For 2048x4096 games, a max height of 25 produces a fairly flat map with a few hills.
[+] Spoiler
Meandering Islands: A 1:2 rectangular map of a sparse chain of islands with plenty of flat land. A central dormant volcano is the only significant elevation. Suitable for all climates.
For 2048x4096 games, a max height of 25 produces a fairly flat map with a few prominent hills.
[+] Spoiler
Sealands: A square map of a lazy coastline with plenty of islands and a hardly noticeable slope. Suitable for all climates.
For 2048x2048 games, a max height of 15 produces a fairly flat map with a gentle slope.
[+] Spoiler
Boundless Sealands: A 1:4 rectangular map of an extensive coastline with plenty of islands. Suitable for all climates.
For 1024x4096 games, a max height of 25 produces a fairly flat map with a gentle slope throughout.
[+] Spoiler
DrCplKlinger
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DrCplKlinger »

Your heightmaps are fantastic! Just finished a really fun Multiplayer session using the Morningstar Peninsula! Thanks a ton - I hope to see more!
CaptainKlutz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CaptainKlutz »

6th volume of heightmaps out. These heightmaps are all 100% procedurally generated, i.e. I didn't draw a single part of them, and they were instead created by stringing together many procedural and random devices.

Alpine Islands: A square map featuring procedurally generated mountainous islands. Suitable for medium-large sizes and all climates.
For 4096x4096 games, a max height of 30 or above is recommended.
[+] Spoiler
Billowing Cliffs: A 1:2 rectangular map featuring procedurally generated mountainous islands. Suitable for medium-large sizes and all climates.
For 2048x4096 games, a max height of 30 or above is recommended.
[+] Spoiler
Splintered Peninsula: A square map featuring procedurally generated flat islands. Suitable for all sizes and all climates.
For 2048x2048 games, any max height is viable.
[+] Spoiler
Turbulent Estuary: A 2:1 rectangular map featuring procedurally generated hills and rocky outcrops along the sides of a river winding into the sea. Suitable for all sizes and all climates.
For 4096x2048 games, a max height of 20 or above is recommended.
[+] Spoiler
CaptainKlutz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CaptainKlutz »

7th and 8th volumes of my heightmaps are now available on the online content downloader.

These maps all had a similar method of creation, which resulted in mountainous terrain with areas of flat land, suitable for challenging gameplay. I consider these to be among my best works.

Carved Archipelago: A 1:2 rectangular map of the 'Carved' series, which is designed for large maps and max heights of 80 and over. Several mountainous islands.
[+] Spoiler
Carved Canyon: A square map of the 'Carved' series, which is designed for large maps and max heights of 80 and over. A wide river flanked by steep mountain ranges.
[+] Spoiler
Carved Coastline: A square map of the 'Carved' series, which is designed for large maps and max heights of 80 and over. A windswept and rocky coastline.
[+] Spoiler
Carved Highlands: A 2:1 rectangular map of the 'Carved' series, which is designed for large maps and max heights of 80 and over. Three coastlines border these impressive mountains.
[+] Spoiler
Carved Peak: A square map of the 'Carved' series, which is designed for large maps and max heights of 80 and over. A lone island with a sharp peak at its centre.
[+] Spoiler
Carved Ridge: A 2:1 rectangular map of the 'Carved' series, which is designed for large maps and max heights of 80 and over. A lone island with a huge mountain ridge along its centre.
[+] Spoiler
Carved Valleys: A 2:1 rectangular map of the 'Carved' series, which is designed for large maps and max heights of 80 and over. A turbulent, steep valley.
[+] Spoiler
Carved Volcano: A square map of the 'Carved' series, which is designed for large maps and max heights of 80 and over. A lone island with a rocky peak at its centre.
[+] Spoiler
CaptainKlutz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CaptainKlutz »

The 9th volume of my heightmaps is now available on the online content downloader.

These maps all feature huge rivers at height level 0, intended for large-scale gameplay, but they can be cropped and resized to smaller sizes for smaller games.

Broad Channel: A 1:4 rectangular map of the 'Grand River' series, which is designed for large maps and max heights of 127 and over. A wide river runs the length of the map, with several small riverine islands offering valuable crossing points.
[+] Spoiler
Eleven River Island: A 2:1 rectangular map of the 'Grand River' series, which is designed for large maps and max heights of 127 and over. A huge, mountainous island with 11 great rivers engraved into the landscape.
[+] Spoiler
Grand Floodplains: A square map of the 'Grand River' series, which is designed for large maps and max heights of 127 and over. As mountains slope gently down to the coastline, streams become vast rivers which carve their way round the flat plains of this map.
[+] Spoiler
Meandering Valleys: A square map of the 'Grand River' series, which is designed for large maps and max heights of 127 and over. An impressive river and its tributaries wind their way along the diagonal of a series of rocky valleys.
[+] Spoiler
DrCplKlinger
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DrCplKlinger »

The latest batch of river maps are great! I hope to use them in a new MP Soon.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Beautiful maps, also playable without editing, which is otherwise missing elsewhere (not everywhere, of course)
CaptainKlutz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CaptainKlutz »

Hi folkx,

Sorry for no updates in a while. Over the past weeks I've stealthily uploaded new maps without announcement, which include beauties such as:
Alpenträumen:
[+] Spoiler
Tony's Confluence:
[+] Spoiler
Cliffy Coastline 2:
[+] Spoiler
And plenty, plenty more. Make sure to take a look!

Also, I've started to use OpenTopography to make real-life heightmaps. Today I added this Taiwan heightmap to Bananas, which, if you use 4k by 8k size, has a 1 tile:50 metre scale.

Enjoy!
CaptainKlutz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CaptainKlutz »

Hey guys,

while I'm on the topic of real-life heightmaps, I decided to make one for the Czech Republic as well, in 1 tile:67m scale.

Enjoy!
Simeon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Simeon »

Your confluence map is really a lifesaver and perfectly got the aesthetic that I really wanted from this game: that of a flat plain with sensical rivers.

Without it, I would have never gotten out of the hell that was the scenario editor.
dol422
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dol422 »

Hmmm. Might have to try one of these. I like the terrain
Take a look at: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=74993
Why do it tomorrow when you can do it today

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”