enabling multiple newgrf engine sets

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

enabling multiple newgrf engine sets

Post by trainrover »

Which setting corresponds to engaging multiple newgrf engine sets? I wish to buy some aircraft that aren't revealed in the purchase list. I have another game (world) with the same newgrf aircraft sets in the same order as well, but when activated the same way in the current world I get the fatal prompt as shown in the following screenshot; its peculiarity mystifies me!
Attachments
20190111_152524.png
20190111_152524.png (65.22 KiB) Viewed 2458 times
Sunmannus
Engineer
Engineer

Re: enabling multiple newgrf engine sets

Post by Sunmannus »

It may be refering to this
https://wiki.openttd.org/Settings/Dynamic_Engines

In short, check your openttd.cfg file (User/documents/OpenTTD/... on Windows), search for dynamic_engines and change it to TRUE if already is not.
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

Sunmannus wrote:It may be refering to this
https://wiki.openttd.org/Settings/Dynamic_Engines

In short, check your openttd.cfg file (User/documents/OpenTTD/... on Windows), search for dynamic_engines and change it to TRUE if already is not.
Hmmm..thank you, but my dynamic_engines has indeed been set to true all along.
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

Then it s because you are using an old savegame which did not have dynamic_engine true

It s very probably saved into the savegame, so changing your cfg won t change it.

the solution is to open the savegame ingame, then to open console and to type : set dynamic_engine true (or maybe it s "on", or 0/1, not sure, you ll find out i m sure )
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

You must be right. I downloaded the scenario (as in-game content). I get the error message, however, per the screenshot below. How do you players familiarise yourselves with commands via the console? Might there be guide sheets to refer to, or must being some tech wizard be necessary to use it at will for stuff other than calling up that errrr Cheats panel? At any rate I much appreciate what you've just happened to have taught me..I shan't forget that tip.
Attachments
20190111_200400.png
20190111_200400.png (424.66 KiB) Viewed 2408 times
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

Well i m still not so familiar with commands on the console so no need to become a tech wizard to use it ;)

there is a list of commands here wich might help : https://wiki.openttd.org/Console_Commands

and one more that seems to be missing from that list but that i find very handy mainly to tweak some pathfinding penalties when i need to : list_settings pf.yapf.rail (list_settings alone works too, but the list is quite big).
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

kamnet wrote:Which scenario did you download?
Why do you ask? Several years later now, I'm once again playing the UK v.3 scenario afresh, because I had *#@%£!× accidentally deleted my saved games back then..that stupidity of mine stung me awfully.
romazoon wrote:Well i m still not so familiar with commands on the console so no need to become a tech wizard to use it ;)

there is a list of commands here wich might help : https://wiki.openttd.org/Console_Commands

and one more that seems to be missing from that list but that i find very handy mainly to tweak some pathfinding penalties when i need to : list_settings pf.yapf.rail (list_settings alone works too, but the list is quite big).
Aha! ^^ bookmarked and bookmarked..thank you. Do you know whether there be any guidance out there on pathfinder penalty flags, or do you just try it by way of trial and error? I have no idea how to combine path signals and plain signals together, my trains always became lost, such that I've never bothered trying those priority signalling tips written about over at ottdwiki. I'm satisfied with how my trains find their ways, although how they steadfastly lock onto platforms can trouble me, plus how they don't use a freed, unobstructed, parallel adjacent track (4-tracking) to continue onward to the waypoint just beyond some dismissed station has now come to puzzle me.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

trainrover wrote:
kamnet wrote:Which scenario did you download?
Why do you ask? Several years later now, I'm once again playing the UK v.3 scenario afresh...
Looking to see if I can find a fix for your issue. As it is, somebody the other day needed help with this scenario and I uploaded an update to this scenario with some basic vehicles, but I didn't catch any errors. Opening it again, there is indeed the same error. Opening the console and running "set dynamic_engine true" fixed the problem, and I have no errors upon starting the scenario.
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

I remember a few years ago when multiple engine sets was a primary setting..I miss its being readily available. Running that through the console at the outset of a scenario, however, is nonetheless a handy tip..I wonder what other ones might also be worthwhile!

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”