Mass change of track type

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Lubos
Engineer
Engineer

Mass change of track type

Post by Lubos »

Possible? As? Nowhere I found anything and clicking the pieces is crazy :-( Thanks
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Mass change of track type

Post by jfs »

Use the convert tracks tool and just click and drag across the parts you want changed.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

1. scroll to one corner of the map, and open a second viewport ([V]-key)
  2. scroll to the other corner of the map
  3. select convert tool and drag from the main viewport into the second viewport
this should convert the whole map.
Lubos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lubos »

Trains I transfer as?
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Send all trains to depot before you convert tracks. Then go to each depot, sell train, convert depot and buy new train. If you do this without closing the depot, game will remember route etc. I think this is the 'easiest' way... Its how I do it :/ (Also why I never convert the full map at once).
..: Trond :.. because you deserve it! Image

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
and wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Mass conversion is very boring. I either use a trainset that avoids the entire problem, or I start building new connections with the new track type next to the existing tracks, and upgrade the service while keeping everything running, or make completely new (longer distance) connections, and enhance the network in that way.

More work, but much more fun playing :)
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

I think 2cc TrainsInNML with Finescale are great NewGRFs just for that. You don't have to care about conversion problems this much. With these, life becomes easier : you always know what engines are compatible with what track type.
For example : I have an urban steam line, and I want to convert it to 3rd rail. No worries : convert the tracks. During their replacement, they can go on 3rd rail tracks.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”