Manage List - Replace vehicles

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

sootynz
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Manage List - Replace vehicles

Post by sootynz »

Is there any chance of adding another option to the Manage Vehicles function, so that under Start replacing vehicles one can
Replace only vehicles with reliability less than x%
where x% is user specified, (even if only once in the Settings, constant thereafter).

This should be in addition to Replace only old vehicles
sometimes the reliability of a type goes dramatically down and stays down despite frequent servicing long before a vehicle gets old

:D
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Re: Manage List - Replace vehicles

Post by PikkaBird »

sootynz wrote:sometimes the reliability of a type goes dramatically down and stays down despite frequent servicing long before a vehicle gets old
'
That's bad design on the part of the vehicle coder, imo, and should be reported as a bug. In any case, it should be affecting all vehicles of that model equally, so why not just replace the entire fleet?
sootynz
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by sootynz »

Er, not quite bad design. I'm using one of yours, the UKRS, which is rather good, I think.

by dramatically down, I mean between 40 and 50 % but which can stuff up a busy line no end.

Replacing all of them isnt all that good, as I've built the vehicles over a longish period and the best are still at 80% reliability.
Also I dont have the money to replace all in a short period of time.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

sootynz wrote:Is there any chance of adding another option to the Manage Vehicles function, so that under Start replacing vehicles one can
Replace only vehicles with reliability less than x%
where x% is user specified, (even if only once in the Settings, constant thereafter).
You have the option of conditional orders. So far you could use the current reliability as a condition (e.g. send unreliable vehicles for maintenance to a depot). A few days ago also the maximum reliability was added as a possible condition (e.g. send permanently to depot vehicles which will never get a decent reiability again).
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

PikkaBird wrote:That's bad design on the part of the vehicle coder, imo
i'm pretty sure that's the behaviour of the original vehicle set.

not that that's a contradiction... :p

also, not a lot of coders know how to use the early retirement and model life properties properly.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Eddi wrote: also, not a lot of coders know how to use the early retirement and model life properties properly.
That's why m4nfo offers function

lifecycle(<introduction-date>, <last-building-year>, <withdrawal-year>)

incorporating said properties in a useful way.

regards
Michael

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”