Supplemental Unsurfaced Road Vehicles Set (SUV) (OpenTTD 1.10 required)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: SUV Version 0.2

Post by Kruemelchen »

So I've jumped into release preparation, though I've got barely the time for it :oops:

the change log so far:
  • 3 Unimogs (4 drawn)
  • 3 more cars (uncluding trabis)
  • 14 vans and small trucks as well as minibuses
  • 4 buses
  • 1 medium sized truck (those are the upcoming roster of v.0.3)
  • Japanese translation (by me, not mothertongue)
  • Sorted Purchase List (Engine ID field)
The current featured vehicles are:
  • full set of light and heavy multifunctional trucks from the 1940s until 2010s
  • full set of passenger cars and station wagons for light transports from the 1930s up to 2010
  • full set of small pickup trucks for express deliveries from the 1930s up to the late 1990s
  • full set of vans from the 1960s up to the 1990s
  • full set of buses from the 1920s up to the 1990s
For a full list of vehicles refer to the first posting!

Known issues are:
  • not good looking 1x zoom graphics
  • still no 2x zoom graphics of tracked traktors and no good cargo graphics for them either
  • still no solution for the unnecessary entries in the road building menu
And the next release (v.0.3) will probably see:
  • code restructure to make use of the C pre processor
  • better (or worse) 1x zoom graphics
  • full set of medium sized trucks
  • maybe some new futuristic vehicles...?
Find the download, source, and non-NRT-version (with less vehicles) below.

If you have any bugs or inconsistencies to report, recommendations for nicer game play to make or thoughts or feature requests, please take the time to write and tell me :)

PS: according to my vehicle list this set is now 56% complete :P
Attachments
SUV_0_2.grf
SUV version 0.2
(716.77 KiB) Downloaded 414 times
SUV_0_2_source.7z
Source code of SUV version 0.2
(993.21 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
EGRoads_0_2.grf
non-NRT version "EGRoads" version 0.2
(645.4 KiB) Downloaded 315 times
Valle
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Supplemental Unsurfaced Road Vehicles Set (SUV) (*NRT)

Post by Valle »

Nice work! I'm using the vanilla version (EGRoads 0.2) and noticed a bug when playing with OpenTTD JGRpp 0.10.0. This does not happen in vanilla OpenTTD 1.8.0.

I found that there is a rendering issue affecting the entire Multicar range of vehicles. As far as I can tell, the motorized vehicle consists of two sprites - one for the cab and one for the bed. In this case, unless you're looking at the purchase menu, the game only draws either the cab or the bed of the vehicle, depending on the view in which the vehicle is currently moving on the map.

For the vehicle heading south (from top left to bottom right) and west (from top right to bottom left), only the bed is drawn.
For the vehicle heading north (from bottom right to top left) or east (from bottom left to top right), only the cab sprite is visible.
This also changes in the vehicle details window and is not affected by the selection of a trailer, whose sprite is always shown correctly.

I'm trying to understand what is causing this bug - could it be the case that the older OTTD build that forms the basis for JGRpp 0.10.0 is not capable of showing a vehicle that uses two sprites inside the same "box" next to each other?

Puzzled regards,

Valle
Attachments
EGRoads 0.2 - half multicars.png
(529.86 KiB) Not downloaded yet
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

One possibility is that register 0x100 is being cleared by something in the sprite chain, which means sprite layers won't work as expected.

That might be irrelevant, but I got bitten by it recently, so worth mentioning.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Hey,

I might have some vehicles ideas for the 2000s - 2010s.
I thought about the Piaggio Porter (yes, Piaggio, the same brand that builds scooters !), a small van I have seen in Germany.
And then there's the Goupil G3, G4 and G5. Same thing : I have seen a lot in France, but a few others in Germany. I think they would look really great in 2x.
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

Valle wrote:Nice work! I'm using the vanilla version (EGRoads 0.2) and noticed a bug when playing with OpenTTD JGRpp 0.10.0. This does not happen in vanilla OpenTTD 1.8.0.
Thank you very much for your bug report, Valle! :)

Is this correct, that you tested the GRF with JGRpp 0.10.0?
Could you try if this bug also occurs in the latest version of JGRpp (0.28.0)?

I tested it right now in 0.27.1 and it works as it should.

I can only assume, that version 0.10.0 is too old and does not support sprite layers yet, so only the first layer is drawn (which is different in different angles as the cabin is either drawn first or last)

@acs121:
Thank you for the suggestions! The Goupil looks nice.
Valle
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Valle »

Thank you for your response and explanation, Kruemelchen. Your assumption is probably correct if that's a newer feature, given that JGRpp 0.10.1 is really old (sorry, I got the last digit wrong in my previous post). I cannot test it in 0.28.0 because I failed to compile more recent builds for macOS, let alone update this ancient game that had originated in S2013PP to a newer version of JGR's patchpack. For those two reasons, I'm still sticking with this old patchpack for now.

Guess I'll still end up inserting your set into this frankenstein of a save game if I don't find too many more vehicles affected by this issue. :twisted:

Just as a disclaimer: of course, I produced the reported error in a new game with no other NewGRFs loaded. Doing this in an ancient save that has gone through more NewGRF changes than the number of NewGRFs some people have saved on their computer would have been irresponsible.
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

To be honest, I cannot guarantee the set is working correctly in such an old build. So it might be possible that unforeseen errors occur, especially if inserted into an old save game.

Besides that, there will be no cargo graphics without the layer feature working. But all vehicles except the Multicars should be displayed 'correctly' as I only cut out the car cab in the Multicar base sprites, not in the base sprites of all the other vehicles. (No reason for that ...)

So, this version should fix that. But still no guarantee ;)
EGRoads_0_2_1.grf
multicar visual fix
(655.6 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
Valle
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Valle »

Kruemelchen wrote:To be honest, I cannot guarantee the set is working correctly in such an old build. So it might be possible that unforeseen errors occur, especially if inserted into an old save game.

Besides that, there will be no cargo graphics without the layer feature working. But all vehicles except the Multicars should be displayed 'correctly' as I only cut out the car cab in the Multicar base sprites, not in the base sprites of all the other vehicles. (No reason for that ...)

So, this version should fix that. But still no guarantee ;)EGRoads_0_2_1.grf
Wow, thank you for trying to fix this obsolence-based issue!

I just gave it a try (new game, no other GRFs). While I see complete Multicars in the views heading towards the player now, the beds still disappear when the vehicle is heading north (towards the top left) and east (towards the top right). What I just realized in a slightly more extensive test is that not only all Multicars are affected, but also a broad range of other open-bed trucks (which I had probably overlooked before as the missing cabs were more apparent). Sadly, you're also right about the cargo graphics - I hadn't even realized that yet. I feel like it would be too much of a struggle to make this set compatible with the past. Keep up the good work, though.

Just for the record, I found these vehicles to be affected by the issue described above (all tested with refit to coal):
- Barkas 1000 Pickup
- MB T2/Vario truck
- Phänomen Granit 30 truck
- Robur Garant 30K truck
- Robur 2000A truck (additional bug: trailer seems slightly misaligned to truck, seems most obvious in \ views - might be caused by the width difference between trailer & truck)
- Avia D60 truck (additional bug: trailer seems slightly misaligned to truck, seems most obvious in \ views - might be caused by the width difference between trailer & truck)
- Avia D120 4x4 (additional bug: trailer seems slightly misaligned to truck, seems most obvious in \ views - might be caused by the width difference between trailer & truck)
- Dieselkarre 2004
- Multicar 22
- Multicar 24
- Multicar 25
- Multicar 26
- Multicar 31
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2018-12-28 um 10.16.59.png
(161.71 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

Ah, yes, you are right about the N, NE and NW directions. I totally overlooked that!
It is because the cab is drawn first in this directions, then the bottom and above the cargo.

This version should fix that:
EGRoads_0_2_2.grf
grapihcal fix
(651.98 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
Thank you for looking into that issue :)

The misalignment issue is indeed because those trucks are broader and have bigger wheels than the actual trailer. I might look into that in another main release, but I can't promise.
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

Since I've been working on fords for the water way grf, I've started to insert the fording feature into this set, too.

Here is a small sweet for the curious :wink:
tractor with trailers halfway fording
tractor with trailers halfway fording
fording.png (26.84 KiB) Viewed 16057 times
Keep in mind though, this is WIP, as it might turn out more visually refined :lol:

PS: Right now I only plan on allowing heavy off-road trucks (and tractors) to ford, even though some of the lighter vehicles might be able to ford in reality, too, I think it should be reserved to the heavier tier gameplay-wise

PPS: I plan on releasing the next iteration of my sets when the NRT feature is more 'setted' in the master, meaning likely around end of the year. Until then there should be new content in the pipe as well ;)
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

Just wanted to share the newest sprites I've drawn.
These are full 2x zoom sprites for the first heavy tractor with large trailers. The large trailers will be able to hold 14t to 21t and can be pulled by heavy trucks and tractors. With 3 trailers a powerful tractor will be able to pull up to 63t of cargo 8)
new 2x zoom sprites for heavy tractors
new 2x zoom sprites for heavy tractors
kettenschlepper.png (34.48 KiB) Viewed 15988 times
This heavy tractor will be available since the 1930s and can with its 60 HP motor pull 28t* at a steady 6kph uphill :lol: (normally it runs at 8kph)

*IRL this model could only pull 9t, so I might only allow 28t after an upgrade in the 1950s, which means until then it should be able to pull 14t uphill at max speed, which is quite nice for a nevertheless really really slow tractor :lol:

PS: Have been inserting some new Trabant prototypes as well, which isn't good for anything but it's a Trabant :oops:
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

...so I finished now all planned crawlers, which can be purchased from the 1930s, with their most recent upgrade in the 1960s. The speed ranges from 8 kph up to 12 kph and they can be loaded up to 28t or 42t. They are awesome at hauling big loads over a small distance, which works best with mines and forests. They can even ford waterways, but aren't allowed on roads, so you need tracks or hauling roads.
Here's the full roster:
East German and Soviet crawlers
East German and Soviet crawlers
roster_crawler.png (1.17 KiB) Viewed 15854 times
From the left: KS09, KS30, T100, DT75, DT75M

...also I implemented a tractor with articulated steering (which was easier than I thought :P )
Its the Ukranian T150K built in Charkow. It can haul up to 28t at a speed of 30 kph (uphill 15 kph).
Here's an impression:
articulated steering tractor
articulated steering tractor
t150k.png (46.23 KiB) Viewed 15854 times
The articulated steering tractor roster will include some Kirowez as well, but they are still to be drawn...

PS: Now finished 60% of all planned vehicles, with mostly tractors and trucks still missing for the next release
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

And here comes the next teaser for the next release ... Kirovets articulated tractors :D
articulated tractor roster 1962 to 2002 (latest model)
articulated tractor roster 1962 to 2002 (latest model)
articulated_tractors.png (2.45 KiB) Viewed 15681 times
These tractors can haul up to 3 trailers* with a maximum overall load of 63 ton at a max speed of 37 kph :o
Uphill they reach fully loaded a max speed of 15~18 kph with their heavy up to 500 hp engines and weights up to almost 20 ton

Awesome for heavy loads over medium distances I guess :wink:
(of course they can ford and use roads, except highways of course)

*5-vehicle-parts road train style :lol:

... secondly, I've finally implemented effect spawn model for all vehicles, which now gives different vehicles different exhaust effects, as can be seen in the following traffic jam behind a slow crawler :twisted:
Charkow, Unimog and Kirovets behind a slow pre war crawler
Charkow, Unimog and Kirovets behind a slow pre war crawler
new_smoke_effects.png (45.15 KiB) Viewed 15681 times
(however there is a small mistake in the above picture, this specific unimog is supposed to have exhaust like the kirovets...)

PS: but too bad you cannot control the amount of smoke and there is no preset for gasoline smoke :(
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

LATEST NEWS tl;dr: the roster is ever growing, but so are the bugs

So it's been awhile since I've been working in this set, even though I've added a vehicle or two at a time. So the roster for release 0.3 has grown quite a decent bit, leaving only some current-gen farming tractors open, as well as bigger cargo sprites for 10-20t.

But, I've been testing the GRF with the upcoming JGR patchpack release, and it's been a bug fest :lol:
Right now I've got several trucks which can pull large trailers with i.e. lumber or pipes, but can't load these on their own platform, so the JGR pack gives me an error message stating OpenTTD may get confused when it tries to autorefit from i.e. 1t+7t goods to 0t+7t wood. In fact it works like a charm ingame, so this might be a false positive?
Another thing is vehicle sounds are buggy. But this might really come from bad code :lol:

But let's get back to the new vehicles:
new medium trucks.png
new medium trucks.png (25.52 KiB) Viewed 15087 times
On the left hand side you can see two new farm tractors from the 80s-90s.
The other vehicles are all small and medium sized trucks in the set. They are all manufactured by IFA union (including IWL, Robur, Sachsenring), YAG or LIAZ/Avia. Can you guess which is which? :P
They have a load range from 2t to 8t and can pull one or two trailers up to 21t; thus have a gross load range from 4t to ~30t. Release 0.4 will then feature heavy Tatra trucks with loads of >=14t plus trailers and maybe also lumber truck tractors from MAZ...

I will release 0.3 when I can test it against JGR 0.32 stable or the upcoming mainline release and it doesn't pop up error messages :P
But it should come this year :wink:

PS: With version 0.3 and JGR patch pack this set finally works like a charm, as it's working best with daylength patch and articulated vehicles overtaking patch :D
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

A long overdue small update ...

As life is busy I had barely the time I wanted to spend on this GRF. So the next release will be a little bit delayed :(

However, I've added some small GAZ trucks with their bus counterparts in the last couple of days:
gaz and kavz.png
gaz and kavz.png (2.33 KiB) Viewed 14220 times
These small off-road trucks may not be able to lift much cargo (2t), but they can manage all terrains well :wink:
Also the small buses for 20+ passengers can come in handy for serving rural villages. They go even on HAUL :)

...which means I only need to add 2 modern Czech farming tractors to complete the roster for the upcoming release. Speaking of which, I'm trying to complete it in time for the upcoming 1.10 version, so you can play with off-road trucks in mainline OpenTTD.

PS: but as march will really be busy I can't promise anything ;)
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

... and another small update, on which I could work today since I caught the flu and couldn't pretty do much else :lol:

fording trucks.png
fording trucks.png (19.63 KiB) Viewed 14158 times
Here you can see a selection of trucks which can ford rivers 8)

The GRF lets all OFFR trucks or tractors* ford, adding some nice water animation to it while crossing the body of water ;)

*atm around 30

PS: I know the ford looks silly if placed like a street :P
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

I'm thinking about making this set more compatible with the ever growing list of NRT road sets.

I'd be nice if you could share your opinion about whether you would like to have a "simple" approach or a sophisticated "realistic" one like now? ?(

the current "sophisticated" logic:

Code: Select all

ROAD = 0,3 T.E. = vehicles that may only run on asphalt/paved roads
ASPT = 0,3 T.E.= vehicles that may run on normal roads and are slow on light roads, such as gravel or sand roads
DIRT = 0,5 T.E. = vehicles that run on any road except special heavy duty roads, i.e. mining roads
OFFR = 0,7 T.E. = vehicles that may run on any road except motorways/high speed roads (imagine a farming tractor on a motorway ...). They can ford
HAUL = 0.9 T.E. = heavy duty tractors, especially with tracks instead of tyres. They may only run off-road or on heavy duty roads. They can ford
a simpler logic with greater compatibility could be:

Code: Select all

ROAD = 0,3 T.E. = your usual road vehicle. May run slow on gravel roads.
DIRT = 0,5+ T.E. = slow vehicles that are forbidden on high speed roads but may run off road
OFFR = 0,9 T.E. = full off road vehicles that are forbidden on roads
*T.E. indicates Tractive Effort Coefficient. 0,5-0,7 have all-wheel driving. 0,9 has tracks. They have it easier climbing hills.

I'd be nice having a "norm" to work with :lol:

PS: Or do you think I should just make ASPT vehicles normal ROAD vehicles in 0.3, so at least they have a better compatibility for now? ?(

Kruemelchen
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

kamnet wrote: 21 Feb 2020 00:04 Can you make it a configuration option?
Thank you for your input, Kamnet!

That's a possibility as well, you're right :)

I think I'll try to combine ROAD and ASPT for now, and leave the rest as it is and see if any change is necessary :)

PS: Here is now the full vehicle list of version 0.3 with ~80 RVs :wink:
tech-sheet.png
tech-sheet.png (35.07 KiB) Viewed 13981 times
overview.png
overview.png (24.9 KiB) Viewed 13981 times
... which means, all that's left to add in version 0.4 are heavy duty trucks (40t) and modern track tractors (40t) :D
... and for 0.5 some horses

BUT, before I can release I'd like to draw the cargo graphics for the large trailers the heavy trucks and tractors of version 0.3 use :lol:

Kruemelchen
Valle
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Valle »

Spectacular stuff - keep up the good work!

Return to “Graphics Development”