The Formula One Topic

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Chrill

Re: The Formula One Topic

Post by Chrill »

Indeed. I was talking with a friend about the weakest pairing on the grid and it's a hard one. Kvyat/Albon? Stroll/Perez? Sainz/Norris? Grosjean/Magnussen? None of these would have been the weakest in 2018. Despite losing Alonso and Ocon, I feel the 2019 grid is looking real competitive.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

The downside is that the top 3 teams probably will end up being one driver teams.

Bottas ... I don't know if he can recover from this season. It looked in the beginning as if he might achieve something, but he then got so thoroughly beaten down, I don't know ^^;

LeClerc is completely new in a top team. There's always the chance for an upset and sometimes they happen, but I'm kinda betting on Vettel coming back stronger next season. And with Ferrari and Merc both knowing that the title might be very tight early on, I doubt LeClerc will get many opportunities to prove himself.

Gasly isn't new to F1, but I doubt he can do much against Verstappen. Of course, whether Red Bull can do anything with the Honda remains to be seen anyway.

Renault probably has the most competitive pairing; unless HÜL has been hopelessly overrated all these years. Perhaps they can get close to Red Bull for some podium battles? Unlikely, but one could hope for the sake of variety.

HAAS still have their accident-prone line up, but at least the drivers are quick on a good day. Rest have some "newbies", so they are tough to judge, but they come as talents; and the other driver has shown that they are good enough.

Sauber and Williams of course are basically automatic fan-favorites with their driver line-ups, aside from the top teams ^^;
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I rate Vettel/Leclerc above Verstappen/Gasly or Hamilton/Bottas. I think Leclerc can give Vettel a run for his money, Vettel has been in a bad place during the second half of this season. If Leclerc gets 1-2 lucky races at the start of 2019, and forces Vettel to play catch-up, Vettel may go down like he did versus Ricciardo at Red Bull.

Perez/Stroll may prove to be the weakest pairing for 2019, or Kubica/Russell if the Pole fails to deliver. As it stands, I think Sainz/Norris and Kvyat/Albon(or Hartley) may also prove weak. Kvyat, if he returns to top shape, is dangerously fast however. Almost like a torpedo... :mrgreen:
My Scenarios:
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Looks like a great line-up for next year, I hope teams get a bit closer together so that we can also enjoy the competition.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Albon has been confirmed:
https://scuderiatororosso.redbull.com/e ... rosso-2019

Well, was the speculation already. Don't know the guy, but RB usually doesn't pick anyone too rubbish ^^;
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Pyoro wrote:Well, was the speculation already. Don't know the guy, but RB usually doesn't pick anyone too rubbish ^^;
They sure struggled to find strong drivers in 2018, and they went back for Kvyat for 2019.

Albon is definitely a good driver, but surely among the weakest to come through the Red Bull program. He finished P3 in Formula 2 this season, his second year. Before that, he's been P7 in Formula 3 and P2 in GP3. These are his strongest merits. He has never won any junior racing formula, and has won just 9 races in 7 years across multiple racing programs. 2018 was his strongest year for sure, but I can't see him doing better than Hartley.
My Scenarios:
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Part of the problem is that Ricciardo switched to Renault, while Sainz is not returning to RB from his stint with Renault. So in 1 year, they basically lost 2 drivers from their pool, with no replacements lined up for the next year. Ticktum does not have the license points yet, so they really had to scrape things together.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ticktum does get a seat halfway through the season if he has enough points and Kvyat or Albon disappoint.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Transportman wrote:Part of the problem is that Ricciardo switched to Renault, while Sainz is not returning to RB from his stint with Renault. So in 1 year, they basically lost 2 drivers from their pool, with no replacements lined up for the next year. Ticktum does not have the license points yet, so they really had to scrape things together.
Well, Red Bull did loan Sainz out before opting not to bring him back, so that one is on them. Dropping Sainz and losing Ricciardo for 2019, dropping Kvyat for 2018 to force Verstappen into Red Bull. It all went downhill when Vettel left really :P

We'll see what comes of Albon, but he seems as desperate a signing as Hartley did. At least it's a proper junior driver this time. If that does not work out, why not sign Scott Speed or Toni Liuzzi? :mrgreen:
My Scenarios:
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

With Stroll finally confirmed at Racing Point, the FIA has published the official entry list complete with numbers for all drivers except Albon as well as a non-Force India name for Force India. Ferrari includes "Mission Winnow" in their team name, Williams removes Martini, Haas adds Rich Energy, and Renault shortens their name to merely "Renault F1 Team". Good stuff.

Interestingly, it lists Perez as "Sergio Perez Mendoza" which I have not seen before but shall oblige with.

Norris takes 4, last used by Max Chilton. Giovinazzi opts for 99, formerly of Adrian Sutil fame. Albon has not yet confirmed a number. Russell goes for 63, never before used, but sure aligns with his own logo that makes 63 look like GR. GR also happens to be his initials, clever that. Kubica selects 88, either to pay homage to Adolf or to Rio Haryanto who previously used it.

Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport:
44. Lewis Hamilton (link)
77. Valtteri Bottas (link)

Scuderia Ferrari Mission Winnow:
5. Sebastian Vettel (link)
16. Charles Leclerc (link)

Aston Martin Red Bull Racing:
10. Pierre Gasly (link)
33. Max Verstappen (link)

Renault F1 Team:
3. Daniel Ricciardo (link)
27. Nico Hulkenberg (link)

Rich Energy Haas F1 Team:
8. Romain Grosjean (link)
20. Kevin Magnussen (link)

McLaren F1 Team:
4. Lando Norris (link)
55. Carlos Sainz (link)

Racing Point F1 Team:
11. Sergio Perez Mendoza (link)
18. Lance Stroll (link)

Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team:
7. Kimi Raikkonen (link)
99. Antonio Giovinazzi (link)

Red Bull Toro Rosso Honda:
26. Daniil Kvyat (link)
?. Alexander Albon (link)

Williams Racing:
63. George Russell (link)
88. Robert Kubica (link)
My Scenarios:
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Well, it's time again. :)

Looks like a good season. Ferrari looks strong, Merc inevitably will be strong, Red Bull seems confident Honda isn't going to destroy any chances they have. The midfield seems as tightly packed as ever, except for Williams, of course.

Fastest lap point seems pointless (ha), but we'll see. Either way I think this promises to be a good season in many ways :)
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Pyoro wrote:Well, it's time again. :)

Looks like a good season. Ferrari looks strong, Merc inevitably will be strong, Red Bull seems confident Honda isn't going to destroy any chances they have. The midfield seems as tightly packed as ever, except for Williams, of course.

Fastest lap point seems pointless (ha), but we'll see. Either way I think this promises to be a good season in many ways :)
I'm also looking forward to this season, hope we see a lot of action.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Out of absolutely nowhere, Charlie Whiting passed away at the age of 66. Perhaps one of the most popular and uniting men in the F1 paddock, an absolute pillar of the F1 community. He seems to have suffered a very sudden Pulmonary Embolism.

https://www.racefans.net/2019/03/14/fia ... ting-dies/

He had a way of uniting drivers even when they didn't like what he said. Very calm manner, always extremely polite. He got respect from everyone in the paddock not because of his title or his role, but because of his manner. Huge loss for F1. He was walking around all happy and ready to go yesterday, so this indeed is very sudden.

I do hope we'll see a moment of silence on the grid ahead of the race.
My Scenarios:
Diesel Power
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Diesel Power »

Very sad news. As you say, he was always calm and open with the drivers and earned authority and respect. Never raised his voice in the face of "disagreements ", just calmly explained his reasoning for the decisions he made and that was that.
Very sad loss for the whole motorsport community.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Not a bad race, that. Bottas utterly dominant.

Like last year, me and some friends at an F1 forum are rating the drivers and I'm filling that into a spreadsheet. Please feel free to join, you do so by simply posting your ratings for every driver after the race. Here are my ratings, as well as a link to the spreadsheet. Don't worry if you forget a couple of races, or a couple of drivers. Contribute as much as you can! :)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Please guys, join us for this!

First, a template:

Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport:
Lewis Hamilton - /10
Valtteri Bottas - /10

Scuderia Ferrari:
Sebastian Vettel - /10
Charles Leclerc - /10

Pierre Gasly - /10
Max Verstappen - /10

Renault F1 Team:
Daniel Ricciardo - /10
Nico Hülkenberg - /10

Romain Grosjean - /10
Kevin Magnussen - /10

McLaren F1 Team:
Lando Norris - /10
Carlos Sainz Jr. - /10

SportPesa Racing Point F1 Team:
Sergio Perez - /10
Lance Stroll - /10

Alfa Romeo Racing:
Kimi Räikkönen - /10
Antonio Giovinazzi - /10

Alexander Albon - /10
Daniil Kvyat - /10

ROKiT Williams Racing:
George Russell - /10
Robert Kubica - /10

----

And my ratings:

Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport:
Lewis Hamilton - 5/10 (Lost at the start, and then drove a very uninspired race only just keeping Verstappen at bay)
Valtteri Bottas - 10/10 (He called it his best race of his career and I'm inclined to agree. 26 points, not a bad haul for a weekend. Obviously the first time leading the championship for Bottas)

Scuderia Ferrari:
Sebastian Vettel - 5/10 (Faded after his first stop and deserved no more than P5)
Charles Leclerc - 7/10 (Solid start to his Ferrari career, ending up clearly faster than Vettel but unable to attack him for position)

Pierre Gasly - 4/10 (Started way back through no fault of his own, but whilst others could overtake here, he just could not. Poor. Very poor, even. Stuck behind Kvyat despite having much softer and much fresher tyres. Not acceptable. Did he forget he was driving for Red Bull and simply settled? One wonders.)
Max Verstappen - 9/10 (Honda returns to the podium, and it is all becase of Maximus Verstappi. Strong race, beautiful overtake on Vettel)

Renault F1 Team:
Daniel Ricciardo - X/10 (Drove his car into a ditch, suffered rather severe damage, ended up retiring. Sad)
Nico Hülkenberg - 8/10 (Not a bad effort, P7. Kept Räikkönen behind him all race but never could challenge Magnussen)

Romain Grosjean - 6/10 (A Haas retiring after a failed pit stop? In Australia? That sounds familiar. Hounded Magnussen before retiring)
Kevin Magnussen - 8/10 (Best of the rest, and only 30 seconds behind Leclerc too. Also, the only "midfield" driver to remain on the racing lap)

McLaren F1 Team:
Lando Norris - 7/10 (Like Gasly, he struggled to overtake whilst others did it more easily. Still, a decent debut for sure and promises more to come. An extra point for an incredibly strong qualifying, P8)
Carlos Sainz Jr. - 5/10 (Was he in the race? Really? I remember his engine going smokey smokey but that's about it. Invisible)

Sergio Perez - 6/10 (Faded after a poorly executed strategy and got stuck behind Lando "How do I overtake?" Norris. Once Norris found his way past Giovinazzi, Perez did too and also passed Albon for good measure. By then, it was too late)
Lance Stroll - 8/10 (Huh. I was ready to write him off after a poor qualifying in Saturday. He redeemed himself nicely to take two points thanks in large to Norris hanging around behind Giovinazzi half the race. Strategy played to his advantage, but he was wise enough to use it)

Alfa Romeo Racing:
Kimi Räikkönen - 7/10 (Followed Hülkenberg all race, and ended up scoring some decent points. Aided by a slow team mate holding up most of the grid)
Antonio Giovinazzi - 3/10 (This was a proper rookie debut. My favorite moment? Oh, when Magnussen pretended to have a look down the inside causing Giovinazzi to literally drive off the circuit in panic. Proper rookie mistake, that. He needs to improve fast, this did not impress his friends at Maranello)

Alexander Albon - 7/10 (Acceptable debut for sure, strong qualifying. Also caught behind Norris, and accidentally lost a place to Perez in the Trulli train. Decent)
Daniil Kvyat - 9/10 (The Torpedo is back, angrier than ever, but perhaps also more mature. He wanted that final point, and he made sure he got it)

ROKiT Williams Racing:
George Russell - X/10 (It's unfair to rate Williams because this was essentially a testing session. Ricciardo was a minute behind Russell but managed to catch and overtake him despite driving a broken Renault. Very last)
Robert Kubica - X/10 (Even laster than Russell. I don't know what to rate him, maybe low? How poor is the car, and how poor was he? I cannot tell yet)
My Scenarios:
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Chrill wrote:Scuderia Ferrari:
Sebastian Vettel - 5/10 (Faded after his first stop and deserved no more than P5)
Charles Leclerc - 7/10 (Solid start to his Ferrari career, ending up clearly faster than Vettel but unable to attack him for position)
... better qualifying, less mistakes all weekend, ended up in the better position, gets rated worse? ^^
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I'll happily explain:

Vettel was expected to achieve more than Leclerc since it was Leclerc's debut. Higher expectations for the German. Also, I feel like Leclerc drove a better race and deserved to finish in front of Vettel. He had the pace to do so.

The ratings are for Driver of the Race rather than Race+Quali, but feel free to post your own ratings so that I can add it to the mix. You'll influence who gets rated the best driver of 2019 by contributing. :wink:
My Scenarios:
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Factoring in expectations seems a really weird way to do ratings. It's like grading better students more strictly because you expect more of them, how's that fair? :p

And, naw. I considered it, just for the heck of it, but unlike, say, football the car factor is always too much too negate and thus rating drivers like this just seems dishonest to me. Why for example does Bottas get a 10? He's in the fastest car. The only one he had to beat was Lewis. Alright, he did that. Maybe that means it was "perfect". But then shouldn't everyone else who did as much as the car could do and beat their teammate also get a 10? Starting with Verstappen, but of course also KMag or Hülkenberg and probably Kimi (I suppose he might have made a small error so perhaps 9.5) and Kvyat. Possibly a bunch of others.

Even in good fun, my ratings would be pointless. :mrgreen:
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Thought we'd get a good season, but by now it's basically certainly it'll be one to write off. Oh well.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I agree with you. This race was boring. And I watched the IndyCar race on Saturday which was comparably a really good one, so it made Spain even worse. 2/10.
My Scenarios:
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

We've had some stunning races since May, and Singapore produced a massive upset when Ferrari snatched their first 1-2 since 2017, and won three races in a row for the first time since 2008. Not bad, that.

Kubica has confirmed he won't be at Williams for 2020, Toro Rosso have confirmed that Kvyat will remain for 2020, and a lot of other developments have happened in the so-called Silly season.

Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport:
44. Lewis Hamilton (link)
77. Valtteri Bottas (link)

Scuderia Ferrari:
16. Charles Leclerc (link)
14. Fernando Alonso (link)

10. Pierre Gasly (link)
23. Alexander Albon (link)

McLaren F1 Team:
4. Lando Norris (link)
55. Carlos Sainz (link)

Renault F1 Team:
3. Daniel Ricciardo (link)
31. Esteban Ocon (link)

26. Daniil Kvyat (link)
10. Pierre Gasly (link)
23. Alexander Albon (link)
?. Patricio O'Ward (link)
?. Sébastien Buemi (link)

11. Sergio Perez (link)
18. Lance Stroll (link)

Alfa Romeo Racing:
7. Kimi Räikkönen (link)
27. Nico Hülkenberg (link)
99. Antonio Giovinazzi (link)
?. Mick Schumacher (link)

Haas F1 Team:
8. Romain Grosjean (link)
20. Kevin Magnussen (link)

ROKiT Williams Racing:
63. George Russell (link)
?. Nicolas Latifi (link)
88. Robert Kubica (link)
My Scenarios:

Return to “Off-Topic”