Aircraft, Airports & Pathfinders Reimagined

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Aircraft, Airports & Pathfinders Reimagined

Post by Leanden »

Juanjo wrote:I like the ideas in this thread. I would also add "airtypes". So you can have airport versions in gravel, asphalt or water versions. Each airtype can have a minimum length for its runways and other specs. Also, you can later decide aircraft compatibility with airport types.
I started doing some work to code it but I only work on it during summer.
I converted old airports (layouts) to the new system. In the end, movement of aircraft in old airports and modular ones will be controlled via a new pathfinder. You can also build an old layout and then modify it.
It is something much of us would like to see in OpenTTD, but remember there are people who prefer finite state machines.
Looks real nice, i havent managed to start any code yet as im away on Holiday at present, but from the screenshots that looks like a great start. Is it stable? Can you upload a copy of the diff/win32 build?

Looking at the screenshot though I can see we need to add a transparency layer for those track sections ;)
J0anJosep
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by J0anJosep »

You can find the code here. It is not stable and I didn't work on the graphics, as I am still working with the aircraft controller.
Formerly known as Juanjo
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Juanjo wrote:You can find the code here. It is not stable and I didn't work on the graphics, as I am still working with the aircraft controller.
Jusging by your commit history you came up with this idea aready sometime last year. Funny how two unconnected minds come up with the same concept.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Juanjo wrote:You can find the code here. It is not stable and I didn't work on the graphics, as I am still working with the aircraft controller.

Did you ever make any more progress with your patch?
J0anJosep
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by J0anJosep »

Leanden wrote:Did you ever make any more progress with your patch?
Yes, but at a very slow pace. I know what is yet to be done, but I just have little time to work on it.
Formerly known as Juanjo
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Nice to hear its still a work in progress :)
DerekCZ
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DerekCZ »

Juanjo wrote:I like the ideas in this thread. I would also add "airtypes". So you can have airport versions in gravel, asphalt or water versions. Each airtype can have a minimum length for its runways and other specs. Also, you can later decide aircraft compatibility with airport types.
I started doing some work to code it but I only work on it during summer.
I converted old airports (layouts) to the new system. In the end, movement of aircraft in old airports and modular ones will be controlled via a new pathfinder. You can also build an old layout and then modify it.
It is something much of us would like to see in OpenTTD, but remember there are people who prefer finite state machines.
I truly hope that you are still working on this, as it seems to be the exact thing I've always wanted.

I have downloaded and compiled the code you posted, but I don't see any difference except the version saying 'norev000'
J0anJosep
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by J0anJosep »

DerekCZ wrote:I truly hope that you are still working on this, as it seems to be the exact thing I've always wanted.

I have downloaded and compiled the code you posted, but I don't see any difference except the version saying 'norev000'
I will work on it this summer. I have no time for it right now.
In case you want to try what I have done so far, look for a branch named air-*, compile it and look for the setting allowing airports built tile by tile.
Formerly known as Juanjo
DerekCZ
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DerekCZ »

Juanjo wrote: will work on it this summer. I have no time for it right now.
In case you want to try what I have done so far, look for a branch named air-*, compile it and look for the setting allowing airports built tile by tile.
Oh yes, I've compiled air-15 and now it works. And it's even better than what I saw from the videos!
You really did a good job and I wish you the best of luck in further development. I will be looking ahead for any updates!
yodasws
Engineer
Engineer

Post by yodasws »

Leanden wrote: As this will be calculation based rather than simulation based, the aircraft will know before taking off and before landing whether the runway will accomodate that plane.

You should be unable to issue an order to fly to an unsuitable airport and if the runway is shortened midflight the plane will treat the order as if the airport had been destroyed.
Leanden wrote:Im considering an acceleration model based on power and weight where planes must reach a certain velocity before take-off and therefore larger planes would require longer runways, although whether this would provide too much of a challenge for the player is really a question. And if a plane fails to take off whether the penalty of losing your plane becomes a negative point against gameplay.
I would suggest not letting the user set or change the runway at all. Just forget all this complicated mess.

The game already places every airplane in one of two categories: small or large.

So, only let the user select one of two runways to place: a short runway for small airplanes and a long runway for both large and small airplanes. Like with the current airports, if the user needs to extend a runway, he needs to demolish it and build the long runway in its place.

This will be so much easier to code and will be perfectly acceptable to most every player.

You know the old saying: Keep It Simple Stupid
trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainman1432 »

Hey, speaking of terminal buildings... shouldn't we have that be the only things that have a catchment area since you can't really travel across a runway?
Jetrain
YATTC
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

trainman1432 wrote:Hey, speaking of terminal buildings... shouldn't we have that be the only things that have a catchment area since you can't really travel across a runway?
If you wanted to be really closer to reality and add a strategic challenge you could significantly reduce the catchment area of those buildings to force feeder services. Perhaps as a difficulty option?
yodasws
Engineer
Engineer

Post by yodasws »

Leanden wrote:If you wanted to be really closer to reality and add a strategic challenge you could significantly reduce the catchment area of those buildings to force feeder services. Perhaps as a difficulty option?
Airport catchment area set to 0. That should be default in OpenTTD ✌
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

except that's not how catchment area of a station works... if you add anything like a bus or train station to it, it's back to "normal", as only the largest radius of any station tile is considered for the whole station.
yodasws
Engineer
Engineer

Post by yodasws »

Eddi wrote:except that's not how catchment area of a station works... if you add anything like a bus or train station to it, it's back to "normal", as only the largest radius of any station tile is considered for the whole station.
Yeah, that's fine by me since the people are walking to the bus stop and then into the terminal building. People can't just walk from home straight to the airport! That doesn't make any sense…
EG0611
Engineer
Engineer

Post by EG0611 »

Leanden wrote: 24 Mar 2016 08:26
Transportman wrote:Looks very interesting. Do you also have a mock-up/idea on how players can build the airports in the new system?
Here is your mockup:

Airport Mockup.PNG

From Left to Right:

Taxiway, Dynamite, Hangar, Runway, Gate, Sign ("Signals"), Bulldozer, Buildings (Non-Track Tiles)

I'll do a mockup a bit later of how it looks building the airport. But pretty much imagine its very similar to how you place Railway Track/Stations.

Im wondering whether I should somehow try to keep the original airport layouts or just do away with them altogether in favour of the new style.
Hello everybody, it has been nearly 4 years since last reply on this topic but I was wondering if there have been any development on modular airports. There are some communities who work on multiplayer servers with infrastructure sharing and they all are wishing to have better airports for them and for other players who like to play with. Especially modular airports with crazy layouts like 4 runways and 30 gates or so.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

omer584 wrote: 05 Apr 2020 16:25 I was wondering if there have been any development on modular airports.
Juanjo has not logged into the community in over a year, and the last commit to his GitHub repo was 16 months ago.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”