RIS: Recycled Infrastructure Set (3.9 available on BaNaNaS!)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

RIS: Recycled Infrastructure Set (3.9 available on BaNaNaS!)

Post by SimYouLater »

What is RIS?
RIS is an in-progress attempt to combine all the best-looking Road, Tram and Rail NewGRFs into a single, cohesive set.

Where's the source?
Look below for the source.

There's no vehicles for the Wooden Wagonway and Prototype Railway!
You can use the Early Rail Set with these two railtypes; download ERSw.GRF for the vehicles, and ignore earlyrail.grf which contains two tracktypes that serve identical purpose to the Wooden Wagonway and Prototype Railway.

Why didn't you include the Early Rail vehicles?
Because the OpenTTD community has, after some past events, become very protective of their mods in a way not seen in most other modding communities. All included content in RIS is licensed under GPL v2 and thus I am allowed to use it. Early Rail Set is not licensed at all, and the creator (Izel) has disappeared from the community years ago, so my only option was to make a better tracktype in RIS with my own graphics and leave the vehicles to a file that is still available as of this writing (see above).

Why is Wooden Wagonway so slow? 16 km/h?
Because the Early Rail Set horses can move at an unrealistically fast 40 km/h.

RIS 0.1 to 0.3 versus 1.0+?
[+] Spoiler
What was RIS 0.X?
Recycled Infrastructure Set was a road and tram track set for non-NRT/RATT OpenTTD installations, based heavily on the American Road Replacement Set (thanks, Andrew350!) and Foobar's Tram Tracks (thanks, Foobar!).

1.0?
See for my plans for version 1.0+, and feel free to give input.

Why make this roadset?!
Because I want nice-looking tram tracks that are compatible with JGR's Patch Pack. Instead of focusing on a region, RIS has the goal of not having graphical glitches like the issue of tram tracks that have a thin stripe of green when leaving the road with default tram tracks or which have roads peeking out from under them like all custom roadsets when used with Foobar's Tram Tracks.

What happened to the futuristic roads?
I've decided to limit RIS to tram tracks with wider grass, to enable compatibility with my favored NewGRF Combination; NARoads and the ARRS version of Total Bridge Renewal Set. The futuristic roads might be added in the future once NRT/RATT is part of JGR's Patch Pack.
They will be included in a future version of RIS as a roadtype...

Source code?
The source for the latest version can be found here.

0.3 is obsolete thanks to the actions of a certain someone, but the code can be found here. RIS is licensed as GPL v2.
NewGRF?
Available in-game from "Check Online Content".

Credits?
Credits to FooBar for making the tram track, as well as the trackbed and planning tracks.
Attachments
ris39src.7z
Source code for version 3.9
(1.14 MiB) Downloaded 450 times
Last edited by SimYouLater on 24 Oct 2019 18:34, edited 38 times in total.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: RIS: Recycled Infrastructure Set (Help with licenses?)

Post by wallyweb »

Try this.
The road and tram track tiles are overlays. The groundtile is not replaced. It is overlayed by the road or tram track sprite. Replace the grass part of Andrew's and Foobar's sprites with transparent blue. This has the added advantage in that you will not need an alternate set of sprites for other climates.

I don't know how it would resolve the road to off-road transition though. This could be a player issue in that the player would have to build the road with a stub for the turn out.

I hope this works.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

wallyweb wrote:Try this.
The road and tram track tiles are overlays. The groundtile is not replaced. It is overlayed by the road or tram track sprite. Replace the grass part of Andrew's and Foobar's sprites with transparent blue. This has the added advantage in that you will not need an alternate set of sprites for other climates.

I don't know how it would resolve the road to off-road transition though. This could be a player issue in that the player would have to build the road with a stub for the turn out.

I hope this works.
I suppose that using OpenGFX grass beneath the tracks but not taking up the whole tile will be a suitable compromise. Thanks!

EDIT: Previews below!

Attachments
crossings.png
Futuristic, glowing crossings
(19.98 KiB) Not downloaded yet
roads1.png
Futuristic, glowing roads
(31.78 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

SimYouLater wrote:I suppose that using OpenGFX grass beneath the tracks but not taking up the whole tile will be a suitable compromise.
If "one has a TTD Windows CD", one could always select the original-windows base set option. :mrgreen:
Thanks!
:bow:
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Not exactly. It sounds like SimYouLater is trying to do road graphics "the old way", i.e. not using NRT, in which case the above isn't true.

If these graphics are indeed meant to just replace the baseset sprites then they will need to include the full tile, otherwise you will end up with weird graphical artifacts in the gaps. One possible option for this would be to modify the OpenGFX sprites to blend in a little better to the TTD landscape. It wouldn't be perfect, but with a little work you could probably get a decent looking result, and it would avoid having to include any sprites that might violate copyrights :)
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Andrew350 wrote:
Not exactly. It sounds like SimYouLater is trying to do road graphics "the old way", i.e. not using NRT, in which case the above isn't true.

If these graphics are indeed meant to just replace the baseset sprites then they will need to include the full tile, otherwise you will end up with weird graphical artifacts in the gaps. One possible option for this would be to modify the OpenGFX sprites to blend in a little better to the TTD landscape. It wouldn't be perfect, but with a little work you could probably get a decent looking result, and it would avoid having to include any sprites that might violate copyrights :)
In fact, there can't be old without new, and there's no such thing as "new way" in NRT...
Everyone is coming up and say "This, is a revolution". It is, but NRT is not stable yet and will not until a few months, or even a year. Until those days we must do it this way. Why ? Because JGR, Spring 2013 etc, and simply no other patchpack, don't support NRT yet.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

acs121 wrote:
Andrew350 wrote:

In fact, there can't be old without new, and there's no such thing as "new way" in NRT...
Everyone is coming up and say "This, is a revolution". It is, but NRT is not stable yet and will not until a few months, or even a year. Until those days we must do it this way. Why ? Because JGR, Spring 2013 etc, and simply no other patchpack, don't support NRT yet.
Well that's just perfect. How do you expect me to create a road and tram set that blends in? Why was Zimmlock allowed to use TTD graphics in TTRS?
Licenses for my work...
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Ok ... I just placed a road tile in OTTD. The sprite aligner showed me the grassy ground tile and the road tile overlaying it. Why would there be a glitch if the grassy part of the road tile were to be made transparent blue and substituted with an Action A? You can see the effect with my tile grids. No need to redraw terrain sprites.

Also, default sprites with a stub for a turn out already exist. Is there a problem if a paved road with a paved turn out stub abuts a dirt road?
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Alas! I must confess to the error of my ways. :oops:
Indeed there were artifacts.
My apologies to SimYouLater. I should have tested before I sent you down a dead end road.
Hopefully NRT will offer other possibilities and it will arrive in trunk to a rousing cheer from the crowd.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

wallyweb wrote:Alas! I must confess to the error of my ways. :oops:
My apologies to SimYouLater. I should have tested before I sent you down a dead end road.
Hopefully NRT will offer other possibilities and it will arrive in trunk to a rousing cheer from the crowd.
With no way to fix this issue, I've chosen to instead refocus RIS on having wider grass beneath tram tracks than Foobar's Tram Tracks, so that it can be used with North American Roads and TBRS for ARRS.

Attachments
Wider grass for NARoads, concrete for TBRS-ARRS bridges.
Wider grass for NARoads, concrete for TBRS-ARRS bridges.
track-ttd-temperate.png (10.97 KiB) Viewed 10521 times
Licenses for my work...
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: RIS: Recycled Infrastructure Set (Looking for coder!)

Post by SimYouLater »

Anyone willing to code these tram tracks, or should I start trying to do the code myself?
Attachments
ris_source.zip
Source Code so far, using ISR depots
(3.55 MiB) Downloaded 109 times
Licenses for my work...
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: RIS: Recycled Infrastructure Set (Looking for coder!)

Post by wallyweb »

SimYouLater wrote:Anyone willing to code these tram tracks, or should I start trying to do the code myself?
Give it a go yourself. We have lots of artists but can always use another coder. 8)
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

SimYouLater wrote:
With no way to fix this issue, I've chosen to instead refocus RIS on having wider grass beneath tram tracks than Foobar's Tram Tracks, so that it can be used with North American Roads and TBRS for ARRS.

Mind giving up that black ballast on bridge surfaces, and rather give the default concrete bridge surface ? That black ballast really looks ugly though.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

acs121 wrote:
SimYouLater wrote:

Mind giving up that black ballast on bridge surfaces, and rather give the default concrete bridge surface ? That black ballast really looks ugly though.
Where do I get the sprites for the default concrete?
Licenses for my work...
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

SimYouLater wrote:
acs121 wrote:Mind giving up that black ballast on bridge surfaces, and rather give the default concrete bridge surface ? That black ballast really looks ugly though.
OpenGFX_extras has these:
Attachments
ogfxe_extra_Bridge_Tram_Tracks.png
ogfxe_extra_Bridge_Tram_Tracks.png (2.35 KiB) Viewed 10372 times
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

wallyweb wrote:
SimYouLater wrote:
acs121 wrote:Mind giving up that black ballast on bridge surfaces, and rather give the default concrete bridge surface ? That black ballast really looks ugly though.
OpenGFX_extras has these:
Thanks. Adding first version to the OP.
Licenses for my work...
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: RIS: Recycled Infrastructure Set (Beta available!)

Post by SimYouLater »

ATTENTION!

I've got some big plans for RIS now. 64 railtypes big. As the title has always suggested, instead of drawing things from scratch, I want to re-use graphics from GPL v2 NewGRFs. Here's what I've got...
[+] Spoiler
Roads
Dirt roads (Prior to 1960)
Futuristic roads (1960+) with glowing guide lines.

Early Rail
Wagonway, using ToyTrax as a graphical base.
Prototype Rail, also using ToyTrax as a graphical base.
Compatible with Early Rail set, just leave out "Early Rail" and use "Early Rail 2".

That's 2...

Standard Gauge
5 SG speeds and 5 electrified SG speeds, using the AuzTracks graphics.

That's 12...

Narrow Guage
2 NG and 2 electrified NG speeds. (Post if you would like your NG rails to be in RIS!)
600mm Narrow Gauge compatibility via triple-gauge tracktype. (600mm NewGRF sold separately, see fruit store for more details :P )

That's 17, 19 with 600mm...

Metro
2 3rd Rail speeds.
1 3rd Rail & Catenary speed.

20, 22 with 600mm...

Monorail
1 Monorail, borrowed from Wasteland.

21, 23 with 600mm...

Maglev
Compatibility with Maglev Track Set, including retractable road surfaces on some level crossings.
SMITS maglev as default.

26, 30 with Maglev Track Set and 600mm...

VacTrains
2 Underground railtypes, based on Underground Metro railtypes, compatible with all railtypes above and with VacTrains.
Compatibility with VacTrains.

29, 33 with Maglev and 600mm...

WIRED & Wires
Utility Wires overrides 4x zoom WIRED rails with older 1x zoom Wired Rails for graphical consistency.
Compatibility with WIRES for electrical transmission (requires ELEC cargo from Wires to be added to FIRS, ECS and AuzInd)

PIPE
Compatibility with PIPE by ensuring that at least one Railtype slot remains.

31, 35 with PIPE, WIRE, Maglev and 600mm...

Useless Tracks
Railbed, taken from Useless Tracks.
Planning tracks, taken from Useless Tracks.
Dirt Trail, taken from WIRED.

34, or 38 with PIPE, WIRE, Maglev and 600mm...

PURR & ToyTrax
Built-in PURR Rainbow Rails and ToyTrax, able to be denabled with "Silly Switch!" (off by default).

39, or 43 with PIPE, WIRE, Maglev and 600mm.

Other
Single tile-height tunnels, based on the Underground rails from the Metro track set.
ISR Depots (1965+), to make realistically-sized depots using a popular existing NewObjects set.
4 speeds of "blank bridges" that rely on NewGRFs placed below the bridge to provide appearance.
12 speeds of "normal bridges" meant for use with roads but fully compatible with all included railtypes.
Any thoughts?
Licenses for my work...
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: RIS: Recycled Infrastructure Set (3.0 available!)

Post by acs121 »

Hmmm.

I think you could take a few graphics from AuzRoadAndTownObjects, mainly for the unused tracks.

Return to “Graphics Development”