Unspooled

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Diesel Power
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Unspooled

Post by Diesel Power »

That's a problem with the openttd code, not just this set. The original tram wires do it too.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Diesel Power wrote:That's a problem with the openttd code, not just this set. The original tram wires do it too.
Would it be possible to move all the poles to the front so that it's fixed?
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
ucetcislo1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ucetcislo1 »

Diesel Power wrote:That's a problem with the openttd code, not just this set. The original tram wires do it too.
oh, i didnt know that. Leave it as it is then.
SimYouLater wrote:Would it be possible to move all the poles to the front so that it's fixed?.
LoL why? I like it the way it is now.
===>>> Visit my youtube OpenTTD channel for more:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm1Xut ... FzK5x4xuVA
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Sorry ... I'm a little late to this part of the discussion.
A possible workaround has been described here.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

supermop wrote: ...
Can I get a copy of the source code, please?
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
Tsylatac
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tsylatac »

I'm getting an interesting bug with Unspooled 0.2.1 (can't reproduce when only RattRoads 0.4.1 is loaded) when trying to convert between roadtypes.

Company-owned roads are fine. I seem to be able to convert between types all day long with no issues.

For town-owned roads, though, it's inconsistent. I keep getting a red error message, "Can't convert road type here... ...incompatible road". Some types will only convert to some other types. Most visibly, once I convert a town-owned road to any flavor of road with Overhead Wire, it's stuck as an electrified road and can only be converted to any of the other types with Overhead Wire - but if I remove the (town-owned) road and rebuild it (as one owned by my company), I can convert back and forth at will between all roadtypes.

Behavior is the same in both nightly (20190914) and JGR's patch pack (0.32-rc4) builds.

Other than that, I'm loving the set, especially how the asphalt markings follow town zones. It does have some alignment issues with sidewalks, and I noticed the turnaround tiles for modern light rail are missing the triangle of support wire at the end of the track (leaving the catenary just floating in space), but those are minor things and don't affect gameplay.
Gadg8eer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gadg8eer »

I've added Unspooled to the GPL Roadtype Collection, Pt. 1 in such a way that it will not conflict with other roadsets. I've given full credits to supermop, since I just updated the code.
I have Asperger's, please be easy on me about stuff. My apologies if I've been a problem for you in the past.
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Hello,

Worked a bit on this today to bring it more up to date considering it's been nearly three years...

As NRT now allows flags to allow towns to build more than just ROAD, I've updated this set to take advantage. Towns choose the fastest type available to them, which is typically also the newest. For Unspooled this is used let towns switch from building stone paved roads to asphalt streets in modern times. Depending on the roadtype 'roster' chosen, new segments of road built by towns will be asphalt once the new roadtype becomes available (1915), while old existing streets will remain stone - lending a nice historic character to city centers. Old stone roads can be upgraded to asphalt either by the player, or by 'Fund Road Reconstruction'.
City building new asphalt streets
City building new asphalt streets
Roads 1922.png (612.26 KiB) Viewed 4657 times
Currently, when using the exhaustive roster, asphalt roads are represented by streets built by towns, and roads built by players. Both types allow houses, but have slightly different sprites and speed limits. With the other rosters, towns simply build the same asphalt road available to the player.

My next plans are to make a few graphical updates to catenary, depots, sidewalks, etc. I also want to resolve a way to use the level crossing overlays I've drawn, but it seems this is a railtype issue.

Best,
Attachments
spool040.grf
Unspooled 0.4.0
(396.66 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Another Update -

Version 0.4.1, This fixes extra "New" in new vehicle strings, as well as tram depots not showing rails inside correctly.

Also added is improved road markings for asphalt town streets with differentiation between modern and early 20th century versions.

Best,
spool041.grf
(441.09 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

unspooled_highway_bug.png
unspooled_highway_bug.png (36.18 KiB) Viewed 4417 times
I've found a bit of a problem with the Highway. :)

Do you plan to upload this to Bananas someday? I'd like to use it in a scenario (along with your Generic NRT Road Vehicles), and it's much easier for players to download grf dependencies through the in-game content downloader versus having to search out downloads on the forums.
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Nic
2TallTyler wrote: 06 Feb 2021 03:05
spool042.grf
(448.31 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
I've found a bit of a problem with the Highway. :)

Do you plan to upload this to Bananas someday? I'd like to use it in a scenario (along with your Generic NRT Road Vehicles), and it's much easier for players to download grf dependencies through the in-game content downloader versus having to search out downloads on the forums.
Nice! This has probably actually been broken like this for a couple years, I just never noticed because I don't really build highway myself. I do plan on uploading a current version to Bananas, but I can't log in because my GitHub account has been flagged as spam for a while, and I guess I just have to wait until customer service responds to me. I also hope to fix catenary sprites as the current sorting is not working - but again, the issue I opened on Github is invisible to everyone as my account is flagged...

Here is an updated version of Unspooled with the Highway underlay.
spool042.grf
(448.31 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

New Release 0.4.6:

This release adds menu and construction GUI sprites for all road and tram types! I think they turned out pretty nice for the small number of pixels:
Unspooled Menu Icons.png
Unspooled Menu Icons.png (32.89 KiB) Viewed 4166 times
Also adds a few small adjustments to dates, speeds, and costs, as well as some extra special functionality with new version 0.6.9 of Mop RVs.

Here and on Bananas:
spool046.grf
(532.81 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
iamhazel
Engineer
Engineer

Post by iamhazel »

Thanks for all these updates :D
ssmit132
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ssmit132 »

Hi supermop, it's been a couple of years since the last update but I had a request if you're still interested in changes to Unspooled.

Some AIs don't understand road types, and therefore build slow dirt roads everywhere and send fast buses and trucks crawling across the map on them. Therefore, I quite appreciate Unspooled's parameter to provide a minimal collection of road and tram types, as it lets me play with sets that include trolley buses and trucks without having to also have many different normal road types alongside the electrified road (as well as an unelectrified tramway).

However, even with the first parameter set to "Minimal Selection", the Asphalt Road you get, as well as its electrified companion, is still limited to 85 km/h. This isn't a game breaker since that isn't that slow for road vehicles, but several sets (including your own road vehicle set, which is also great and one of the reasons I like to have electrified roads) provide vehicles that go a lot faster than 85 km/h and it would be nice to make use of that speed.

Therefore, would it be possible for this NewGRF to remove the speed limit for the Asphalt Roads when set to "Minimal Selection"? The Basic Tramway (including the electrified one) already has its speed limits removed when that parameter is set so it would be nice for the roads to also get that treatment.

Thank you for your attention and for your nice NewGRFs :)
Lurkmore
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lurkmore »

Is it still possible to get the latest source code for this?

Return to “Graphics Development”