American Bridge Replacement Set [0.5.0 Released 12-13-2020]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Gliptal
Engineer
Engineer

Re: American Bridge Replacement Set [0.1.0 Released 4-30-18]

Post by Gliptal »

Lovely bridges, they feel a lot more part of the graphics than TTRS (ARRS). I hope more is set to come in the future!
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Thank you, and there is more to come, I promise! :) Seeing GarryG make progress on his bridges lately has given me some inspiration to get back to working on some of my own. It's not anything new, but I've finally taken the mockup sprites for the previously shown plate girder bridge and put them in-game. Currently I'm working on fleshing out the bridge heads and pillar sprites and I think it's coming along nicely. :)
Frondinghall Transport, 11th Jan 3002#1.png
Frondinghall Transport, 11th Jan 3002#1.png (118.61 KiB) Viewed 15269 times
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Looking great! I love how the plat girder bridge looks with that little bit of rusting on it. I've never seen a plate girder bridge that isn't rusting to some extent even when they're painted (even black/dark grey bridges still show rust)

ALso, you should try showing off some bridges with my NARS Add-on set :) Might be nice to see a big ol Milkwaukee EP-2 or UP GTEL running across a bridge :P
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Gliptal
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gliptal »

:bow:

I'd also love to see the white concrete-ish bridge you showcase in the OP. It'd go nicely with highways and such!
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Do you think you could make it look like exactly like this bridge ?

It's the Bastille Line running through Paris. It's no longer active by now, but the viaducts and bridges are still in place :wink:
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

acs121 wrote:Do you think you could make it look like exactly like this bridge ?

It's the Bastille Line running through Paris. It's no longer active by now, but the viaducts and bridges are still in place :wink:
This is an american style bridge replacement set, not a French one :wink:
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Not specifically american, it's meant to go with ARRS.
I mentioned that bridge because it looks a lot like the bridge Andrew350 posted.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

acs121 wrote:Not specifically american, it's meant to go with ARRS.
I mentioned that bridge because it looks a lot like the bridge Andrew350 posted.
Sorry for not replying earlier, forgot after reading. I don't think I'm going to change this bridge to match the one you posted as it's not quite what I'm after. However, like you say, it's pretty similar in design so modifying the sprites wouldn't be hard, if someone else was so inclined :)
Gliptal wrote:I'd also love to see the white concrete-ish bridge you showcase in the OP. It'd go nicely with highways and such!
I agree, and the good news is I've been working on re-implementing it this last week. I've reworked it a little bit but basically it is the same as previously shown. I'm hoping to get this and the plate girder bridge finished up soon for another release :)
Attachments
Sinborough Transport, Apr 4th, 3000.png
Sinborough Transport, Apr 4th, 3000.png (297.7 KiB) Viewed 15052 times
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Nice work your doing .. making bridges wide where ever possible, especially the more modern type bridges look great side by side.

Cheers
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Very nice! My next game might have to include these!
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Thanks everyone :)
GarryG wrote:Nice work your doing .. making bridges wide where ever possible, especially the more modern type bridges look great side by side.
So far this is the only one I'm doing this way, but maybe more in the future. I'm just not sold on doing the railway bridges this way, they look too 'empty' to me. :?

Meh, we'll see. :)
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Think you could do another style of viaducts like this one, more adapted graphicly to urban environment ?
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Andrew350 wrote:So far this is the only one I'm doing this way, but maybe more in the future. I'm just not sold on doing the railway bridges this way, they look too 'empty' to me.
I agree on the empty bit about the wide bridges for rail and there isn't many designs where can do that and make them look nice.

An idea Wallyweb gave me and he has done so with the new set he working on ..

Most bridge surfaces same, just the pylons are different. He suggest make object pylons to go under the bridges too.

Looking at doing this with the wide bridges. Basically just have the one surface design road and a rail (so far I have 2) and default pylons, and then make a few object pylons so can have different effects.

Cheers
Soot Happens
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

GarryG wrote:
Andrew350 wrote:So far this is the only one I'm doing this way, but maybe more in the future. I'm just not sold on doing the railway bridges this way, they look too 'empty' to me.
I agree on the empty bit about the wide bridges for rail and there isn't many designs where can do that and make them look nice.

An idea Wallyweb gave me and he has done so with the new set he working on ..

Most bridge surfaces same, just the pylons are different. He suggest make object pylons to go under the bridges too.

Looking at doing this with the wide bridges. Basically just have the one surface design road and a rail (so far I have 2) and default pylons, and then make a few object pylons so can have different effects.

Cheers
I do really like the look of the wooden trestle you made, my wood trestle looks a little naked without the cribbing under it :P It is certainly a good idea to keep in mind!

========

Now, veering a little off-topic from the current conversation, I thought I might show off something new. :)

I've never been very satisfied with any of the cantilever bridges that are available, and a search for something like I wanted turned up empty (I hope I didn't miss one somewhere!), so I decided to make one:
Honfingburg Transport, 15th Jan 3000.png
Honfingburg Transport, 15th Jan 3000.png (93.99 KiB) Viewed 14918 times
As you can probably tell it is a modified form of the existing steel truss bridge, so I guess it isn't entirely new, but close enough :wink: Rather than take up another bridge slot I've opted to make this the 'rail' version of the steel truss, while keeping the old style for the 'road' bridge. I will probably recolor it as well at some point, and maybe try making it a little rusty like the plate girder bridge, but I think it is good for now. :)
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

I do really like the look of the wooden trestle you made, my wood trestle looks a little naked without the cribbing under it :P It is certainly a good idea to keep in mind!
Can send you copy of sprite if like as your welcome to use any thing I do and can change it to suit how you like..
I've never been very satisfied with any of the cantilever bridges that are available, and a search for something like I wanted turned up empty (I hope I didn't miss one somewhere!), so I decided to make one:
Join the club .. I not much into those cantilever bridges either. Are they really painted those colours in real?

Your idea is great ..
Soot Happens
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

I very much like this one and I also like to use them when possible.
Edit: Maybe its just me or the picture timing is spot on... Watched a bit to the foundation in water and it feels kinda straight and clean. If make it a bit rubbishy or something I would think that it wouldn't be very bad when used on grass.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Andrew350 wrote:Yes I think so, any ideas in particular?
I'd say a bridge quite similar to the concrete bridge in TBRS.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

GarryG wrote:Can send you copy of sprite if like as your welcome to use any thing I do and can change it to suit how you like..
Actually yeah, I'd appreciate that, might be something I'd like to play around with :)
GarryG wrote:Join the club .. I not much into those cantilever bridges either. Are they really painted those colours in real?
I don't know, every one I've seen is usually gray or white....or rust :lol:

========

While I'm here I might as well show off one of the new cable-stayed bridges I have in progress:
Honfingburg Transport, 15th Jan 3000#2.png
Honfingburg Transport, 15th Jan 3000#2.png (93.84 KiB) Viewed 14847 times
This is only a mockup mind you, so it is missing pillars and bridge heads, and the layout may change, etc, etc. I don't know why, but in my head I saw it with a sort of copper/bronze finish to it, so if you think it looks kind of "shiny"...it's not just you. Maybe not entirely realistic, but eh, it's fun to try it. :P

Return to “Graphics Development”