Any way to have multiple Ship Docks for one station?

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Any way to have multiple Ship Docks for one station?

Post by NekoMaster »

I was wondering if theres any simple way to build multiple docks conected to one station with out getting an error stating that Im trying to add more then one dock.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Any way to have multiple Ship Docks for one station?

Post by Zuu »

Visually, yes, there should be a station grf that let you place railway station tiles that looks like harbour/dock area. Using distant join you can place a bus stop out of sight and then make a dock in your big harbour that will not be used but you'll get multiple docks.

Gamewise, no, only one dock can be present per station.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

You can't build more than one dock, no, and I don't know if that will ever change. However, it should be possible to make complex harbours with newgrf airports.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

When I ment having multiple ship docks, I ment through patching\modifying code.
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Of course if you include the option to modify the source and compile new binaries then *anything* is possible. The question is instead how long time will it take?
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

NekoMaster wrote:I was wondering if theres any simple way to build multiple docks conected to one station with out getting an error stating that Im trying to add more then one dock.
Your question is a bit off, people may misunderstand it. What you're asking is if you can build docks without getting an error message, which is very easily possible, but it won't acomplish what I think you're asking for. You want to actually build the docks connected to each other, not just remove the error message when it fails.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

petert wrote:
NekoMaster wrote:I was wondering if theres any simple way to build multiple docks conected to one station with out getting an error stating that Im trying to add more then one dock.
Your question is a bit off, people may misunderstand it. What you're asking is if you can build docks without getting an error message, which is very easily possible, but it won't acomplish what I think you're asking for. You want to actually build the docks connected to each other, not just remove the error message when it fails.
Yeah, I wanna build multiple docks so that not all the ships goto one but goto multiple docks if they're unoccupied(which looks weird having 10 ships in one spot at a dock)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

what you are trying is fairly difficult. if you are seriously attempting this, try to replicate the steps that were done with road stations...
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

As it exists right now, you can build multiple docks, even right next to each other (OTTD 1.0.0 RC2, anyhow). But they are going to be separate docks that will not share cargo. You can join train/RV/airports to those separate docks to separate your cargo if you wish, I'm not sure if the Cargodist or Cargodest patches could further help that.
CazadorSirenas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CazadorSirenas »

This is something I DESPERATELY want too! I'm a fan of ships so I play a lot on islands maps and use ships quite a lot. It frustrates me to no end having only one dock per harbour. I mean, really?

It is in fact very possible to put docks together while holding a keyboard, but they aren't considered to be the same station but two different :-(

And since this is a veeery old question, I'll be happy to know if any development has been made about it since...
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

It is entirely possible to have multiple docks in a harbour, but you have to specify which route will go to each one. In this example, ships with incoming wood and chemicals are directed to the leftmost dock "Furumo Papirfabrikk", while the products Goods and Packaging are loaded at the docks called "Furumo Papir" and Furumo Kartong" respectively. I've been playing around a lot with GarryG's AuzObjects in this scenery. The docks are the "ISR-style dock v 1.3" which are overlaid with cranes from the ISR/DWE object sets.
1896_papermill.png
1896_papermill.png (553.9 KiB) Viewed 3843 times
You can see more examples in my screenshot thread.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

NewMap genuinely allows multiple-docks-per-station similar like road stops:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=58420
So does JGR's pack:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=73469
CazadorSirenas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CazadorSirenas »

Uh... but Leifbk, what you show in your picture is exactly the problem I'm talking about :-(

Imagine you have a big bus station with several stops. Just because you put five stops together, doesn't mean each get its own name, right? All of them work as one. That's what I want to do with my ships. In your picture what I see is three different stations, game-wise. They don't share loads and have their own name.

In the same way as in my example about five bus stops together as one, that's what I wish to do with my docks in a single harbour.

And Pyoro, I'm not sure what I was supposed to see in that picture, but there are only railroads, no ships. However, in your second link (that I readed fully) there was this: "Fix ship pathfinder support for multiple docks. Ships can now head to docks other than the linearly closest one." I hope this means what I wanted to do???
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

CazadorSirenas wrote:And Pyoro, I'm not sure what I was supposed to see in that picture, but there are only railroads, no ships. However, in your second link (that I readed fully) there was this: "Fix ship pathfinder support for multiple docks. Ships can now head to docks other than the linearly closest one." I hope this means what I wanted to do???
Yes, this is what you want. Both NewMapFeatures and JGR Patch Pack are variations of OpenTTD that have implemented a patch which allows multiple docks to be built as one station. It is not a feature that is (yet) found in the standard OpenTTD package.

You use control-click to place the dock and select if it joins an existing station or is built as a new station, or you build it directly next to an existing dock or other type of station to expand that station (just like you do for road stations and rail stations).
CazadorSirenas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CazadorSirenas »

Yes Kamnet, I downloaded the patch "Openttd-custom-jgrpp-0.26.1-MINGW-win64" and immediately put it to test. It works awesomely! :-) Guys I'm SO HAPPY you wouldn't believe! It were so many years wishing for this!
I really thank you all you awesome people!
morzenmebs
Engineer
Engineer

Post by morzenmebs »

jgrpp already has this. just use that and turn on ships avoid collisions.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”