[OpenTTD] Tōkaidō 4096*2048

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

[OpenTTD] Tōkaidō 4096*2048

Post by Erato »

For the past few days, I've been working on this scenario of Tokaido and I finally finished it. It has no industries, as I usually only transport passengers and find that the industries only really get in the way. (and I never really intended to publish it) If you do want industries, you should edit the scenario and add your favourite industries. I am sorry for the inconvenience.
The world population in this map is just under 2 million. I included a whole lot of towns and placed them all by hand as accurately as I possibly could. The map features several urban areas, both near the coastlines and hidden deep within the mountains. Some islands also have cities on them, so if you want, it is possible to create a ferry between them. Originally I only planned to make a map of Chubu, a region of Japan, but I accidentally happen to have included most of Kanto and Kansai, most notably Tokyo and Osaka, thanks to which it is completely possible to recreate the Tokaido Shinkansen. Aside from the Tokaido Shinkansen, the Hokuriku Shinkansen and the Joetsu Shinkansen (which apparently doesn't even touch Joetsu...) can be recreated thanks to the convenient size of the map.
Whilst I did my best to recreate the location of the towns and cities as accurately as possible, that might not be completely true for the cities, as I let the algorithm sort that out, I only made sure that Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto and Nagoya would be just a bit bigger than the rest.

The map starts in 1880, 9 years after the formation of the first Japanese Railway Company.

[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
Heightmap:
Chubu.png
(1.76 MiB) Not downloaded yet
I got the SRTM files from this website: http://dwtkns.com/srtm/ as I couldn't get the Google Earth thing working. So, if you also can't get the GE thing working, try that, it's got a nice globe and stuff.

Scenario:
I've made two scenario downloads, one with the Japan Set trains (and TIAS) and one with 2cc (and MMT):
Japan Set:
Tokaido JS.scn
(3.68 MiB) Downloaded 563 times
2CC:
Tokaido 2CC.scn
(3.65 MiB) Downloaded 434 times
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tintinfan
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [OpenTTD] Tōkaidō 4096*2048

Post by Tintinfan »

Thank you very much for sharing for this scenario! With a bit of town funding, google & JR railpass maps and a good crew on multiplayer, I'd say we've made the best of it so far! I think it is safe to say that we who've played the map have enjoyed what you have made, even if the missing towns and occasional wonky placement were drawbacks. We got dangerously obsessive with the Seibu and JR East lines, had some serious fun weaving through the valleys for the Chou Line and even got round to forcing trains up the Usui Pass. Anyway, some pictures...hopefully others might feel inspired to play this map too! :D
Attachments
JR East, 13th Mar 2003.png
Game map
(109.43 KiB) Not downloaded yet
JR East, 6th Apr 2003.png
Tokyo area
(345.89 KiB) Not downloaded yet
JR East, 12th Apr 2003.png
Chubu area
(580.91 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Regards,

Tinny/Tintinfan. :)
Densha
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Densha »

Even though TIAS is preloaded with this scenario, trains from this GRF never end up showing up on the vehicle buying list. I exported the GRF settings from this scenario to use with a random map, and then TIAS trains do show up properly. I have not been able to deduct what the cause of this problem could be. Any ideas?
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Densha wrote:Even though TIAS is preloaded with this scenario, trains from this GRF never end up showing up on the vehicle buying list. I exported the GRF settings from this scenario to use with a random map, and then TIAS trains do show up properly. I have not been able to deduct what the cause of this problem could be. Any ideas?
If the Japan Set Tracks aren't loaded or functioning properly then that might be part of the issue as the Japan set trains and possibly TIAS uses the japan sets tracks, which the normal tracks are likely set as Narrow gauge tracks and thus the Japan set and TIAS trains wont show up if they dont detect those narrow gauge tracks.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Densha
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Densha »

All other Japan Set trains, such as Shinkansen and the Trains Addon standard gauge trains properly show up including their respective tracks. Actually everything seems to behave like it should, except for the fact that TIAS (also a standard gauge set) does not work.
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

I wonder whether I too be missing those trains. Anyhow, although still early on I'm trying out doubling the depots prior to large train stations.
Attachments
Zayushi Saba, 12th Nov 1926.png
(2.89 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Zayushi Saba, 12th Nov 1926#1.png
(3.68 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Erato »

Densha wrote:All other Japan Set trains, such as Shinkansen and the Trains Addon standard gauge trains properly show up including their respective tracks. Actually everything seems to behave like it should, except for the fact that TIAS (also a standard gauge set) does not work.
trainrover wrote:I wonder whether I too be missing those trains. Anyhow, although still early on I'm trying out doubling the depots prior to large train stations.
Densha wrote:All other Japan Set trains, such as Shinkansen and the Trains Addon standard gauge trains properly show up including their respective tracks. Actually everything seems to behave like it should, except for the fact that TIAS (also a standard gauge set) does not work.
To get TIAS to work you need a version of TIAS that works in the sub-arctic climate.
Attachments
tias-allclimates2.grf
(2.4 MiB) Downloaded 320 times
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

Erato wrote:To get TIAS to work you need a version of TIAS that works in the sub-arctic climate.
Thank you for sharing.

Might you know know, please, how come food is not accepted anywhere no matter winter or summer? You see, I activated the cold winters parameter within the Japanese landscapes newGRF (I also switched industries on).
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

You need a set of houses that accept food. Amongst others you have Total Town Replacement Set and Swedish Houses.
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

acs121 wrote:You need a set of houses that accept food. Amongst others you have Total Town Replacement Set and Swedish Houses.
Hmmm..is there a Japanese set that accepts food, do you know? What would happen were I to supplant the Tokaīdō houses with another set mid-game, wouldn't I thus corrupt my game (I've taken a liking to the cozily clustered wooden houses, and am keen to see how the set evolve)?
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

JapanSet 3 Houses provides houses accepting food, too.
However, adding building NewGRF buildings in-game may corrupt your savegame.
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

acs121 wrote:JapanSet 3 Houses provides houses accepting food, too.
However, adding building NewGRF buildings in-game may corrupt your savegame.
This scenario is loaded with plenty of other JapanSet 3 newGRFs including its lot of Buildings but none labelled Houses, plus searching external websites reveals no such corresponding file. Where must you have found it yourself, please?
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Yes, it is Buildings.
But i'll have to say : if it does not work with JapanSet 3 : Buildings, try with Total Town Replacement Set or Swedish Houses.
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

acs121 wrote:Yes, it is Buildings.
But i'll have to say : if it does not work with JapanSet 3 : Buildings, try with Total Town Replacement Set or Swedish Houses.
Even having TTRS supercede the original buildings yields no change in food acceptance..oh well.
vrn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by vrn »

trainrover wrote: Even having TTRS supercede the original buildings yields no change in food acceptance..oh well.
By default, food is only accepted by small houses in the arctic or tropic climate and most town grfs mimic that behaviour. I guess the first houses replaced are the ones in the town center, so you won't notice a change in food acceptance until new houses in the outskirts are built. Of course it may also be possible that the game is corrupted due to the added grfs.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Gave it a try and the food requirement works perfectly fine when towns are above the snowline. So must be something on your end ^^;
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Well it only works when it's over the snowline.
rowdog
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rowdog »

In Sub-Arctic, there are new industry chains available, including the paper chain and the new food cargo which must be delivered to towns above the snowline to enable them to grow.
https://wiki.openttd.org/Climates#Sub-arctic
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

Pyoro wrote:Gave it a try and the food requirement works perfectly fine when towns are above the snowline. So must be something on your end ^^;
Which towns?!

This is mystifying. I loaded the save of my first day, 1 Jan 1880, and none of the towns appears above the snowline, which the author has set to 30. Again, I activated the cold winters parameter within the already-loaded Japanese landscapes newGrf. What setting triggers the snowline into becoming dynamic, because (years ago) my other sub-arctic scenario was the other way around, wherein I'd adjusted something(?...) such that the snowline surprisingly became static?

Anyhow, querying the snowy house tiles back in these late 1940s shows none of them as bearing any food cargo factor. About 2 days ago I read somebody's posting in another thread on some board here, sharing his disappointment about there being no food chain with these buildings.

Edit: I'm sorry for soiling this very thread here with the following screenshot from another scenario! but I'd like to reveal how food is accepted below the snowline and well into spring .. is this normal?
Attachments
Voyageur Continental, 23rd May 2453#1.png
Voyageur Continental, 23rd May 2453#1.png (297.01 KiB) Viewed 20204 times

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”