Road-Vehicle-Only Servers out there?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

DesertBus
Engineer
Engineer

Road-Vehicle-Only Servers out there?

Post by DesertBus »

Hey guys, after much time lurking around the forums for tips how to play, I created an account.
Any servers out there focused on Road-Vehicles? (at least some that have very limited number of trains and no airplanes, no ships)
I have currently been playing small 256x256 tropical maps against 2 AI companies: Bork AI and NoCAB. Airplanes and ships disabled, trains limited to 4 (so far 3 games went on and nobody used trains, even me) and road vehicles limited to 80 (last time there was no limit and they were spamming the roads and causing havok). Been having a blast, finally getting that thrill in the single player I was looking for. I feel playing with trains make the game too easy, too auto-pilot, specially with bigger "station tiles" limit. With buses you have to carefully monitor stations and routes. I just don't host my own server because I'm behind a router and I don't have access to perform port-forwarding, so I can only join games.
"Watch that s***, cowboy"
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Road-Vehicle-Only Servers out there?

Post by acs121 »

DesertBus wrote:Hey guys, after much time lurking around the forums for tips how to play, I created an account.
Any servers out there focused on Road-Vehicles? (at least some that have very limited number of trains and no airplanes, no ships)
I have currently been playing small 256x256 tropical maps against 2 AI companies: Bork AI and NoCAB. Airplanes and ships disabled, trains limited to 4 (so far 3 games went on and nobody used trains, even me) and road vehicles limited to 80 (last time there was no limit and they were spamming the roads and causing havok). Been having a blast, finally getting that thrill in the single player I was looking for. I feel playing with trains make the game too easy, too auto-pilot, specially with bigger "station tiles" limit. With buses you have to carefully monitor stations and routes. I just don't host my own server because I'm behind a router and I don't have access to perform port-forwarding, so I can only join games.
I can create a specific server with a few NewGRFs, if you would like it. Do you allow tramways ?
DesertBus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DesertBus »

Oh hello, sorry for the delay... I don't use any GRF's, when playing single-player I was just using some AI's. The most important aspects would be these:
1 - the map being small (256x256) in order to force players to interact with each others closely, sharing industries
Note: How we would avoid sabotage I don't know, for a while I can admin games, but does this mean that while I'm admin I can't play the game as well? For the moment I can guarantee to enter the server everyday but at random hours to watch for sabotaging
2 - Town and Industry quantity set to Very Low (this would make a map with only 1 industry of each type, and a few towns with water tower)
3 - Disable Airplanes, Ships and Trains (no Tram either), only allow Road-Vehicles with a limit of 200 vehicles
4 - Initial loan 200.000, no messing around, forces to be very cautious at starting profits. No inflation.
5 - Game duration? I don't have a clue. Maybe a cash goal that lasts for aprox 4 hours? I remember playing with these settings for 25 game-years and I had 10 Million in the bank, I guess 10 Mil should provide a nice challenge and make the game reset a few times a day.
I think that's it, anything else I forgot? Attached is my config file, if there's something that should not be seen publicly let me know and I take it off.
Attachments
openttd.cfg
My config file I was playing single-player against the AI's
(10.75 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Well, is it bad if i include like, five NewGRFs ? Respectively :

- OpenGFX+ Landscape
- Total Town Replacement Set
- Bob's British Buses
- Bob's British Random Vehicles
- Dutch Tram Set

I can set the same configuration for the advanced settings and the same map size.
I can be the admin, if you want, and can keep the server online anyways.
And 200k of what unit ? Personally i use €. I suppose you use £ ?
Maybe i can allow 3 or 4 trains like said, or if you want we can keep it to no trains too.
DesertBus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DesertBus »

GRF's? Go for it, no problem, more variety can't hurt.
I play in dollars here, I thought the currency was merely aesthetic? Whatever people use more is fine, I don't care, I suppose there are way more people playing this game in Europe from what I've seen.
Trams and trains, please leave disabled if you can, specially Trams make a mess in the city. This server would be played by people who wanna chill out taking care of their buses, very relaxing kind of match, and not messing around with a bazillion things on screen. It's for a very specific kind of player. From the forum's activity I see there's almost no demand for this, but maybe over time people will stumble on this thread and be instigated to play it out of curiosity. I can hope at least. When naming the server just make sure the words "Road Only" appear at the start so it can be read by everyone who's browsing the list, the character limit on that server GUI is very small, I wonder why it stays that way, it would be so much better to be able to read a long description, or at least a tooltip. Something like "Road Only - 10 MIL" or whatever the goal is, that goal should take a few hours to complete. And a limit of 4 companies I guess.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

I'm going to start the server at 3pm UTC +1.
DesertBus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DesertBus »

Thank you!! How is it called? So other people can also find it.
I'm having some severe sleep issues so I couldn't come earlier, now it's 7:30 UTC+1 ( = 3:30 PM UTC-3)
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

DesertBus wrote:Thank you!! How is it called? So other people can also find it.
I'm having some severe sleep issues so I couldn't come earlier, now it's 7:30 UTC+1 ( = 3:30 PM UTC-3)
I called it "Road Vehicles Only". It runs under OpenTTD 1.8.0. No patch, simply a few NewGRFs but no AI. I allowed five trains.
DesertBus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DesertBus »

I tried searching for it before with these exact words, and still can't find it now, not showing up on the server list.
I searched for "Road", "Only" and other queries, doesn't show up.
5 trains will havok the whole purpose of the server, specially in such small map (is it 256x256?). 2 trains maximum for an initial profit but nothing more than that. Otherwise it's just like any other server with rail crossing the map up and down and making it difficult to build road networks near cities.
Oh, and very important: if you're gonna enable trains (and to avoid cheating), train's maximum length 4 tiles and maximum station spread 4 tiles
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

DesertBus wrote:I tried searching for it before with these exact words, and still can't find it now, not showing up on the server list.
I searched for "Road", "Only" and other queries, doesn't show up.
5 trains will havok the whole purpose of the server, specially in such small map (is it 256x256?). 2 trains maximum for an initial profit but nothing more than that. Otherwise it's just like any other server with rail crossing the map up and down and making it difficult to build road networks near cities.
Oh, and very important: if you're gonna enable trains (and to avoid cheating), train's maximum length 4 tiles and maximum station spread 4 tiles
It seems it doesn't find it for me either on my other computers...
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

Could you explain the point of playing without trains? Just asking.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

odisseus wrote: 26 Nov 2019 02:28 Could you explain the point of playing without trains? Just asking.
It's just something different to do. In most of my games I actually use very little trains, most of my passengers are local circulation only and most of my cargo is transported by truck or ship.
DesertBus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DesertBus »

odisseus wrote: 26 Nov 2019 02:28 Could you explain the point of playing without trains? Just asking.
I had a blast learning how to play the game and overcoming every little problem, maximizing profits, etc, but then I guess I grew tired of becoming a millionaire within 15 minutes of gameplay with no challenge whatsoever.
Then, I downloaded different AI's to play against and I observed most of them could outperform my trains only using buses/trucks, so I started investigating how far could I get only with road vehicles.
Before that, I was reaching number 1 in a few servers limiting my trains to 3 tiles only, was a nice exercise. This game is surprisingly versatile. (could never master city-growing servers though... still going after that goal...)
And I found that road vehicles lead to a more relaxing gameplay, it's hard to explain. Less button presses to get a route going I guess. Who knows. It's fun :) And I like to watch the darn thingies moving, the truckies :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “General OpenTTD”