Random Transport Chatter

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Random Transport Chatter

Post by Kevo00 »

Why is this disruption happening around the new timetable? Asking out of genuine interest as have seen no clear media coverage of the issue.

Surely if trains and employees exist trains should not be disrupted? Has Northern faced a sudden drop in resources? Mysterious.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

Kevo00 wrote:Why is this disruption happening around the new timetable? Asking out of genuine interest as have seen no clear media coverage of the issue.

Surely if trains and employees exist trains should not be disrupted? Has Northern faced a sudden drop in resources? Mysterious.

It's not the new timetable that's caused the issues, it's Network Rail's inability to complete large scale engineering works on time (Blackpool modernisation and Bolton corridor). It's caused the latest timetable to be re-planned in half the normal time, it's delayed crew route refresh training. It's meant the planned introduction of new through services using EMUs has been delayed until at least December which has meant DMUs that were to used on new services or to strengthen current services, now need to be used on routes that should have been electrified.

It's a great ball of s***! I could go in to much much much more detail but I'm slowly losing my mind.
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

So basically Northern are just whipping boys. Hardly fair for the media and worse politicians to be calling for their removal from the franchise.

Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

Kevo00 wrote:So basically Northern are just whipping boys. Hardly fair for the media and worse politicians to be calling for their removal from the franchise.

Indeed, most of it is knock-on crap. I don't think it's been handled overly well by Northern (at times) and the infuriating RMT conductor strikes have just compounded issues.
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

The mayor of GM (Andy Burnham) is having a good old moan about Northern at the moment. As Kevo has said, politicians are calling for Northern to be stripped of the franchise, however, they obviously aren't realising that it's the Nationalised parts of the railway that are letting down the private parts. I mean, one of the rumours I've heard through the enthusiasts grapevine suggested that the entire timetable at Leeds was not validated, which is absolutely shocking if true!

As for Bolton/Blackpool, that's been a shambles, have Northern even finished getting enough drivers up to speed on Blackpool yet? Of course, I understand the reasons why they wouldn't have if that was the case! I'm sure Scotrail's 385 issues have further compounded Northern's issues as well.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Pilot wrote:they obviously aren't realising that it's the Nationalised parts of the railway that are letting down the private parts.
Interesting. Did the project slipped off due to something ? Has Network Rail gave advance warning or somesuch ? Seems like some communication problems.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

YNM wrote:
Pilot wrote:they obviously aren't realising that it's the Nationalised parts of the railway that are letting down the private parts.
Interesting. Did the project slipped off due to something ? Has Network Rail gave advance warning or somesuch ? Seems like some communication problems.
The Bolton electrification project was originally supposed to be completed in December 2016, so is roughly 18 months late at the moment. The original delays were due to old mine workings, as Bolton (and Lancashire as whole) was very big on Coal mining in the past. The collapse of Carillion, a major contractor on the project has further delayed it also. This has meant, like Badger said above, that diesel trains that were supposed to be released to other services are instead still in use on services via Bolton, and required a complete timetable rewrite about a month before it was due to come into effect.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Chris Grayling, the Secretary of State for Transport has annonced an inquiry into the exacts of what went wrong over the past few week.
BBC News.

Transpennine Express are under fire, after its been revealed they're going to be using trains that are known for being seriously unfriendly towards disabled users. The trains are due to be used between Liverpool & Scarborough from July.
BBC News.
TPE are having a few issues lately, a loss making franchise, poor timetables, and now a step backwards towards disabled users. Also underfire has been their new policy on carrying cycles, requiring them to be prebooked 24 hours in advance.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Pilot wrote:The Bolton electrification project was originally supposed to be completed in December 2016, so is roughly 18 months late at the moment. The original delays were due to old mine workings, as Bolton (and Lancashire as whole) was very big on Coal mining in the past. The collapse of Carillion, a major contractor on the project has further delayed it also. This has meant, like Badger said above, that diesel trains that were supposed to be released to other services are instead still in use on services via Bolton, and required a complete timetable rewrite about a month before it was due to come into effect.
Alright.

Still, I wonder why would they do something not really possible, and why there's no clear notice that stuff is slipping.

Hope you guys manage to keep the relic moving through !
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Thameslink - Now everyones favourite (?!) taxi service!

BBC News.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Meanwhile, a wild manager appears.

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Geo Ghost wrote:Meanwhile, a wild manager appears.

[video snipped to save scrolling fingers]
After dodging the question on the video you linked. Govia Thameslink cheif Charles Horton has resigned. This drama seems to have not quite stopped yet!

BBC News.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Redirect Left wrote:After dodging the question on the video you linked. Govia Thameslink cheif Charles Horton has resigned.
Oh, don't we know :P
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Is the travel disruption still being chaotic with Thameslink? It's fairly settled down up here, after Northern put in a different timetable...

Virgin Trains East Coast also go out of service in 7 days time now, long live LNER!
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

More or less!
There are better days and worse days, but overall it's still pretty rather hectic.
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

So the first incarnation of the LNER lasted 25 years. The ECML will soon be on its 7th operator in 25 years by my reckoning:

BR InterCity (1982-1994)
East Coast shadow TOC (1994-1997)
GNER (1997-2007ish)
National Express (c. 2007-2011)
Directly Operated Railways (c. 2011-2016)
Virgin Trains East Coast (c. 2016-2018)
LNER (2018-?)

Dates might be slightly out as that's personal recollection not rigourous research. This seems an incredible situation to me.

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Interesting article on the BBC today. Ministers seemingly were aware of the looming chaos of changing the timetables, at least on Northern routes.

BBC News.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Comments :
  • Good layout.
  • Horrible hanging handles, should be something more conventional.
  • Top of the vertical railings should be a luggage rack.
  • Bench armrest not really needed, you can pack more people that way.
But that is a welcome change that finally you're having longitudinal seats.
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

YNM wrote: But that is a welcome change that finally you're having longitudinal seats.
hahaha. No. Longitudinal seats are the worst.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

YNM wrote:But that is a welcome change that finally you're having longitudinal seats.
We've had them for ages, on the Class 378s, they're horrid.
YNM wrote:Top of the vertical railings should be a luggage rack.
Why? These are designed for short, commuter journey's, not really much of a luggage requirement.
YNM wrote:Bench armrest not really needed, you can pack more people that way.[/list]
At least let us have some form of comfort!

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”