slow game aka day lenght

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ANIKHTOS
Engineer
Engineer

slow game aka day lenght

Post by ANIKHTOS »

one of the frustrating things in game is that later one things speed up in introduction of new engines and you really do nto have time to enjoy playign with an engine and you are constant upgrade

even the monorail is so little use by the time i finish the upgrade i have to go to mangle !!!!!

and i know this is developed by the community so i said okey lets dig in and try to fix it.

i know visual basic and some languages for the internet but nto c++ so it will be a huge leap forward for me but lets see what will happen

apart from learning c++ i have to learn about git since i never used it before and find and learn to use a compiler for c++
the last one will be tricky since i have a laptop with windows 7 but not service pack 1 and i can not install the servise pack r

so by watching the forum and reading the online slaughter about the day length and the problems

what is the goal of my patch
1. do not break any mechanic of ottd and everything work as it is now
2. only change will be that year, day, moth will last longer and thus vehicles will introduce later

so in order to achieve both of this
i introduce a second clock and the concept of 2 days 2 months 2 years
a normal day, month ,year as we know it and a slower day, month year

there is a slow factor which will be able to be chosen by user choosing 1 will make game run normal speed
thus in effect day and slow day will last the same

since the mechanics of the game are based in day and 20day(month) cycle this remain the same

the patch s by adding days , months year in the game, with the slow factor you choose

for now i put a value of 2 since i am in test phase

so what works now?/
check that was done in 74 ticks aka 1 day will be done again at that time
check that was done in 30 days will be done again at that time

difference is that some things done in yearly base was moved to the new slow year
and some were left there

the date in the game is running slower in the surface since you will see the same day in the game for the duration of the slow factor
later on the date display will add an hour indicator where in effect you will see the normal days pass as hours

here is the file i change with the changed code
any thoughts??
Last edited by ANIKHTOS on 13 Jun 2018 11:46, edited 1 time in total.
markyisri
Engineer
Engineer

Re: slow game aka day lenght

Post by markyisri »

Why not just use JGR's Patch Pack?
ANIKHTOS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ANIKHTOS »

okey i manage to compile the code correct silly mistakes in syntax
and it worked as i wanted to work

i give you a compile version for people that can not compile and i will include you also the file for people that can compile

i would appreciate some testing and reporting for any bugs
and also for request ?

the idea was to make the game last longer but keeping the game feeling the same
thus everything in the game still run the same
apart from the display date where you see it going slower and since the introduction of new vehicles is link to that they will appear later.

for now it slow down game 2 times later it will be user defined
if you run the game you will see if you have auto save on every month that it save the game at mid of month because for the game perspective it has pass a month

all game mechanics are safe

even the vehicles age according to the normal speed you will see after 6 month of buying a vehicle that it will report 1 year aged because it has passed a year for that

so in effect i manage to do what i wanted to do
prolong the game without breaking any mechanics
Attachments
date.cpp
this is the alter file if you want to compile it yourself
(14.37 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
Last edited by ANIKHTOS on 13 Jun 2018 11:45, edited 1 time in total.
FulliAutomatix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by FulliAutomatix »

You do realise that this has been done before, and as markyisri said, is a big feature in JGRPPand other big patch packs?

I mean, not to say another attempt on how it should be done is bad, but that you might be wasting your time on something that is already readily available.
ANIKHTOS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ANIKHTOS »

the discussion is moved in development place
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=83372

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”