Dynamic train composition? (Decoupling/Shunting/etc..)

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Dynamic train composition? (Decoupling/Shunting/etc..)

Post by romazoon »

i ve been silent since that patch came out but watched with interest, and i haven t tested it yet, so yes my comment won t be constructive at all, sorry for that :
- my mouth is watering since patch came out !

thanks for all the effort ! Now i return to silence
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Karn wrote:Maybe all we need is the current depot check and as a bonus check, if length of vehicle(s) changed. (Or capacity too, if any NewGRF does it without changing length)
Place to start looking is probably cb36 https://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/C ... s_.2836.29
There are a few other callbacks too that change properties and/or need cache re-rolled (10, 11, 12 etc)

I'm wrong person to trust on this, but afaik changing certain properties can cause:
- game crashes
- network desyncs
- invalid cache
- behaviour that's hard to explain and confuses player

TL;DR it's an interesting patch, if limiting some newgrf behaviour is needed, might be worth doing :)

Probably easier discussed in :wink: irc https://wiki.openttd.org/IRC_channel
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Changing length by CB (36) should be rather rare, in contrast to capacity change. I´ve done a quick look in DBXL, and there are 55 occurencies of capacity changes (by CB 36):

- using same passenger cars over different generations (remodeling)
- having/refitting passenger cars for differing comfort levels (cargo aging)
- freight cars with fixed volume but different loading weights for cargoes based on stowing factors

None of them depending on the engine, but rather on date/age, on refit cycle (var F2), or on cargo type.

regards
Michael
Karn
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Karn »

Seems OpenTTD already counts with those problems. We got ConsistChanged() method and ValidateTrains(). They both deal with cache and check everything needed. They handle decoupling in depot, which is same thing except the vehicle length change, which doesn't need to be forbidden in depot. But we even have flags for that for ConsistChanged().

I think only issue is vehicle length that needs to be checked. Capacity shouldn't matter, as it is allowed to change both in depot and during autorefit.

So using depot's ValidateTrains() and checking CB 36 and 11 for length change should be enough, otherwise only graphical glitch is possible with weird NewGRF.
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

michael blunck wrote:Changing length by CB (36) should be rather rare, in contrast to capacity change. I´ve done a quick look in DBXL, and there are 55 occurencies of capacity changes (by CB 36):

- using same passenger cars over different generations (remodeling)
- having/refitting passenger cars for differing comfort levels (cargo aging)
- freight cars with fixed volume but different loading weights for cargoes based on stowing factors

None of them depending on the engine, but rather on date/age, on refit cycle (var F2), or on cargo type.
I also use CB36 a lot. I change wagon length according to the leading engine in order to have multiple version of the same vehicle type without cluttering the purchase list; I also do it for the user's convenience.

One case is for railcar trailers; I've got different types, each matching to a specific railcar model. Of course, each trailer type has its own length. I think it's more convenient for the player to have one generic slot for "Railcar Trailer" in the purchase list, which can automatically adapt to the railcar it's attached to, rather than having to choose among 5 or 6 different types of trailers, each of which can be attached only to certain engines?
Another case is for mail wagons, all of which share the same ID and automatically match the style of the passenger coaches in the consist: I do this by checking the engine. Again, would you rather have multiple IDs for mail wagons, so that every time you'd have to choose the matching type to add to the consist? :roll:
The French Narrow Gauge Train Set is now released! Get it here
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Snail wrote:Again, would you rather have multiple IDs for mail wagons, so that every time you'd have to choose the matching type to add to the consist? :roll:
It's not really a critique of your newgrf design choice Snail ;) . The better question is, how would you support this behaviour with shunting, given that vehicle length absolutely *cannot* change outside a depot?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

an alternative to the manual "detach" nodes to be set by the players would be that upon shunting, the vehicle gets a "shadow" link to the original vehicle that it left the depot with. with that, it could be ensured that the callbacks always refer to the same vehicle, but it may cause issues if the vehicles are sold separately
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

andythenorth wrote: It's not really a critique of your newgrf design choice Snail ;)
No offense taken, we just have totally opposite ideas. You don't mind having a long purchase list, while I find it fine to use CB36 to change a vehicle's properties.
The fact we think each other's approach is silly is irrelevant :D we just need to find a solution for both.
Eddi wrote:an alternative to the manual "detach" nodes to be set by the players would be that upon shunting, the vehicle gets a "shadow" link to the original vehicle that it left the depot with. with that, it could be ensured that the callbacks always refer to the same vehicle
I think this would be a very good solution indeed.

I would actually propose something similar, but maybe with a wider scope: it would be great if we had a function that not only returns the engine a wagon is currently attached to (as we have now), but also the engine it left the depot with, i.e. some sort of "original" engine. Such information could be cached and updated each single time the wagon leaves a depot.
Then, upon shunting, we would check the ID of the new shunting engine, and only allow shunting if the latter is compatible with the "original" engine.
This would solve most compatibility problems I can think about...
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Snail wrote:it would be great if we had a function that not only returns the engine a wagon is currently attached to (as we have now), but also the engine it left the depot with, i.e. some sort of "original" engine. Such information could be cached and updated each single time the wagon leaves a depot.
that needs some addition to the NewGRF system where a vehicle can have multiple "PARENT" references. i think frosch had a proposal about that a few years back.

anyway, during a discussion on IRC, a proposition came up:
during a shunting operation, the following 3 checks are made:
  1. CB36 and all related callbacks are run, and if "dangerous" changes (like length) occur, the shunting operation is forbidden
  2. the wagon-attach-callback is run as if it were in a depot, and if it fails, the shunting operation is forbidden
  3. if the engine uses wagon overrride, the shunting operation is forbidden
if the shunting operation is forbidden, the order fails, everything is reset to the original state, and the player gets a message about invalid orders. then the next order is executed.

this should catch all the worst cases, without outright forbidding shunting on all existing NewGRFs. then, some advanced tools might be needed for NewGRF authors to affect the way shunting works (like disallowing shunting in the middle of an EMU), which can be used to improve future NewGRFs
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Eddi wrote:that needs some addition to the NewGRF system where a vehicle can have multiple "PARENT" references. i think frosch had a proposal about that a few years back.
Yep, that would be quite helpful...
Eddi wrote:if the engine uses wagon overrride, the shunting operation is forbidden
There's more to it than wagon override... Recoloring and graphics can also be changed according to the leading engine. I think we should check for them as well.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Snail wrote:Recoloring and graphics can also be changed according to the leading engine. I think we should check for them as well.
yes, but it's not really game-breaking, so we could live with old GRFs being slightly wonky in this case. New GRFs should get the proper tools to specifically deny shunting if they want to rely on such things
Karn
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Karn »

There were some unexpected crashing bugs in 0.3. They should be gone now. I'm not aware of any game crashes atm.
I made something about NewGRF decoupling, it shouldn't corrupt game now.
Here is 0.4

Edit: binaries are in development thread
Last edited by Karn on 14 Jun 2018 14:00, edited 1 time in total.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Eddi wrote: if the engine uses wagon over[r]ride, the shunting operation is forbidden
Why should it? To avoid "unpleasant" livery changes? Or to safely reset property modifications?

Apart from simply changing the looks of wagons when being attached to certain engines, IMO the more important feature of "wagon override" is ignoring or resetting speed limits for trains (i.e. its locomotive) imposed by attached wagons.

E.g.,

Code: Select all

makevehicle(_E19,
	link(ref(6), MENU)
	default(ref(8))
	override(_PDISTLONG, ref(F_AUM))    // passenger long-dist LONG
	override(_PDIST, ref(F_))       // remove speed limit of 140 km/h
	override(_MDIST, ref(FP_))      // remove speed limit of 120 km/h
	override(_SPW, ref(SPW_))       // remove speed limit of 140 km/h
)
resets speed limits imposed on the E19 locomotive by certain long-distance coaches, mail vans, and dining-cars in a much more flexible and code-efficient way than doing the same thing explicitly by running CB36 for each of said coaches/vans/cars (and for different engines).

IMO, performing a shunting operation on such a train shouldn´t do any harm, rather than reset the original speed limiting effect for decoupled wagons when being attached to a different engine.

regards
Michael
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

the issue i have with "wagon override" is that it has too many side effects.

anyway, one thing that is probably going to cause trouble for shunting is "powered wagons"
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Eddi wrote: [...] one thing that is probably going to cause trouble for shunting is "powered wagons"
IIRC, I´ve never used that feature (MUs can be better modeled by articulated vehicles). Would be interesting to see which train sets are using it.

regards
Michael
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Maybe this patch should provide settings, if livery override is accepted for shunting or not?
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
Karn
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Karn »

I don't see point in wasting programming time on limiting anything. As long, as the game doesn't corrupt, there are no more limits needed. We have restrictive limits that apply in the depot. Same limits apply outside the depot, so I don't see point in making new special rules that adds nothing to gameplay or overall fun. Why is red box that tells user that he can't do something requested so much?
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

So perhaps instead, when a train attempts to couple to a different one, if any callbacks result in a risky/impossible change (e.g. wagon length) then just reject the coupling and cancel the order?
It will probably give strange-looking results that a bunch of cars suddenly change design but at least it shouldn't entirely prevent players from using any existing NewGRF.
Karn
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Karn »

That's already implemented. I'm not sure if without bugs. Some testing would be nice to see, if weird results are possible.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Honestly Karn, yet you're almost doing a revolution in OpenTTD with your patch. When people want, they have. ;)

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”