acs121's sprites

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

acs121's sprites

Post by acs121 »

It's no graphic development thread, but from this day i'll be posting all my sprites here.
My sprites only use Company Colors, generally 2, sometimes 1.
Sometimes they may be recolors of another sprite.
Be free to use any of them. You only need to cite me if you use my graphics in your NewGRF, unless another licensing type is specified.
Last edited by acs121 on 03 Jul 2018 13:00, edited 3 times in total.
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: acs121's sprites

Post by Erato »

Your lighting is off, please consult this:
http://users.tt-forums.net/purno/PDT/su ... fects.html
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Erato wrote:Your lighting is off, please consult this:
http://users.tt-forums.net/purno/PDT/su ... fects.html
I do know about this, but i'm really bad at doing lighting. Also, lighting is only esthetical - you can code sprites that don't have any lighting, i already done this many times.
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Erato »

acs121 wrote:I do know about this, but i'm really bad at doing lighting. Also, lighting is only esthetical - you can code sprites that don't have any lighting, i already done this many times.
Ofc. you're bad at lighting. The mirroring tool doesn't do lighting. For the train you were making, there really isn't an excuse not to try to properly do the lighting, seeing as the shape is rather simple.
And indeed. You can code sprites without lighting. But that's just cheap. At least put in a little effort.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Erato wrote:
acs121 wrote:I do know about this, but i'm really bad at doing lighting. Also, lighting is only esthetical - you can code sprites that don't have any lighting, i already done this many times.
Ofc. you're bad at lighting. The mirroring tool doesn't do lighting. For the train you were making, there really isn't an excuse not to try to properly do the lighting, seeing as the shape is rather simple.
And indeed. You can code sprites without lighting. But that's just cheap. At least put in a little effort.
Hey, remember this is a random sprite repository. 90% of the things i'll be posting will not and probably never be included in a NewGRF. They're here because i have a bunch of sprites that i won't include anywhere, and thus are good only for people that want to modify them, or use them directly in their sets.

I'll do the lighting on this engine later on though. I'll try doing it.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Erato wrote:Your lighting is off, please consult this:
Purno's diagrams are correct, but the 2nd diagram has caused a lot of sprites to be drawn with light from rear (north). This looks bad :)

The sun in most original TTD sprites is from about 5 o'clock position, and high.

The original sprites also ignore this often, in favour of 'do what looks best' :D
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Erato »

acs121 wrote:I done an ICE-1, using the ICE-3 from the Luukland Trainset. Dunno if i done the lighting right this time...
You mirrored it again. The diagonal views need to be lit from the right.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Erato wrote:
acs121 wrote:I done an ICE-1, using the ICE-3 from the Luukland Trainset. Dunno if i done the lighting right this time...
You mirrored it again. The diagonal views need to be lit from the right.
I see now.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

A french Corail car.
Attachments
CoRail.png
CoRail.png (1.47 KiB) Viewed 3815 times
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

acs121 wrote: I done an ICE-1, using the ICE-3 from the Luukland Trainset. Dunno if i done the lighting right this time...
Just for the record: that Luukland set is an unauthorised copy and minor modification of my tempset and DB set.
acs121 wrote: So to train myself at lighting, i done a DB VT-97 which is quite easy due to it's rectangular shape.
Same with that railcar. It is the recoloured VT 95 originally drawn by me.
vt95 copy.png
vt95 copy.png (901.81 KiB) Viewed 3758 times
regards
Michael
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

michael blunck wrote:
acs121 wrote: I done an ICE-1, using the ICE-3 from the Luukland Trainset. Dunno if i done the lighting right this time...
Just for the record: that Luukland set is an unauthorised copy and minor modification of my tempset and DB set.
acs121 wrote: So to train myself at lighting, i done a DB VT-97 which is quite easy due to it's rectangular shape.

vt95 copy.png
regards
Michael
In fact i did know the ICE-3 from Luukland came from DBXL, but what's that tempset ?
And forgot to mention it, but yes, the VT 95 is a recolour. Though what the hell are those light green pixels on the VT 95 sprite ? Aren't they supposed to be lighted on, or gray if they aren't lighted on ?
perverted monkey
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by perverted monkey »

acs121 wrote:Though what the hell are those light green pixels on the VT 95 sprite ? Aren't they supposed to be lighted on, or gray if they aren't lighted on ?
That's the art of pixel drawing.
White would be too bright. As to why green:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complementary_colors
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

perverted monkey wrote:
acs121 wrote:Though what the hell are those light green pixels on the VT 95 sprite ? Aren't they supposed to be lighted on, or gray if they aren't lighted on ?
That's the art of pixel drawing.
White would be too bright. As to why green:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complementary_colors
It can be white or other colors, i'll think next time about 32bpp...
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

acs121 wrote:
mb wrote: Just for the record: that Luukland set is an unauthorised copy and minor modification of my tempset and DB set.
In fact i did know the ICE-3 from Luukland came from DBXL, but what's that tempset ?
And forgot to mention it, but yes, the VT 95 is a recolour.
And hence you´re not allowed to release them in any modified form as you proposed:
acs121 wrote: Be free to use any of them. You only need to cite me if you use my graphics in your NewGRF.
So, please remove that "ICE-1" and that "DB VT 97" sprites from your posts. It is a violation not only of my copyright but also against the forum rules:
forum rules wrote: g. Members are expected to respect the copyright of other users, sites, media, etc. Users linking to or asking for information on warez, cracks, etc. will receive a warning and their post will be removed.
In addition, your statement is grossly misleading, since third parties might get the impression that my graphics are "free" and might be used elsewhere.

Thanks for cooperating.

acs121 wrote: those light green pixels on the VT 95 sprite ? Aren't they supposed to be lighted on, or gray if they aren't lighted on ?
Those green colours will be recoloured in game, depending on direction of travel, resp front/back lights.

regards
Michael
Tony Pixel
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Tony Pixel »

You asked me for Z 20500, at this moment I drew carriage, will draw engine.
Attachments
France_SNCF_Z-20500.png
France_SNCF_Z-20500.png (1.67 KiB) Viewed 3612 times
Image Image
Sprite artist and NewGRF developer, coding in NML. My projects:
NewGRFs: Not Enough Subways Set | North American Passenger Railroads | Elevated Subway Bridge | Tony Pixel's Subway Equipment Set (frozen)
Screenshots: New York City Subway Episodes
trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainman1432 »

michael blunck wrote: Just for the record: that Luukland set is an unauthorised copy and minor modification of my tempset and DB set.
Since it violates copyright, why is it still on BaNaNaS, out of curiosity?
Sure, it's a few dots on a screen, but it makes me wonder.
Jetrain
YATTC
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

trainman1432 wrote: Since it violates copyright, why is it still on BaNaNaS, out of curiosity?
I don´t know. I am in no way related with that service and I have no authority to decide what might have been hosted there in the first place.

But now that you mentioned it, I´ve taken a look into that set. It is indeed based on my very old "TempSet", which in its very first version was GPLed. At least they included the very first readme text file with that set.

Since that set is so old, and there was indeed a very first GPLed version, I don´t care about any third party usage of original material (graphics or code) included in that set.

However!

Both that "ICE-1" and that "DB VT 97" posted here are not from that "Luukland trainset", nor the TempSet. That set included the ICE-3 (quite different graphics from the ICE-1), but it did not include the ICE-1, nor that "DB VT 97" (or VT95, or VT98).

Conclusion: "acs121" took the original ICE-1 and VT98 graphics from the DB Set, which is copyrighted by me. They´re not derived from the Luukland train set.

Both train graphics have to be removed, and should be replaced by his own graphics.

regards
Michael
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

michael blunck wrote:
acs121 wrote:
mb wrote: Just for the record: that Luukland set is an unauthorised copy and minor modification of my tempset and DB set.
And forgot to mention it, but yes, the VT 95 is a recolour.
And hence you´re not allowed to release them in any modified form as you proposed:
acs121 wrote: Be free to use any of them. You only need to cite me if you use my graphics in your NewGRF.
So, please remove that "ICE-1" and that "DB VT 97" sprites from your posts. It is a violation not only of my copyright but also against the forum rules:
forum rules wrote: g. Members are expected to respect the copyright of other users, sites, media, etc. Users linking to or asking for information on warez, cracks, etc. will receive a warning and their post will be removed.
In addition, your statement is grossly misleading, since third parties might get the impression that my graphics are "free" and might be used elsewhere.

Thanks for cooperating.

acs121 wrote: those light green pixels on the VT 95 sprite ? Aren't they supposed to be lighted on, or gray if they aren't lighted on ?
Those green colours will be recoloured in game, depending on direction of travel, resp front/back lights.

regards
Michael
I can remove them only if you de-quote them, or i can edit them to add your copyright.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hi,

I’m afraid your course of action isn’t enough to fulfil the copyright rules Michael has asked you to comply with. I’ve removed all posts with this material as a matter of course.

If you would like a copy of the images within please contact a moderator.

To add: regardless of the state of TTD and indeed OpenTTD, it is impolite to use another’s graphics without asking. In some jurisdictions as with Michael in Germany, it is explicitly illegal.

Therefore I must insist all future use is corroborated with the artist first.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

** removed: quasi legal defence **
Tony Pixel wrote:You asked me for Z 20500, at this moment I drew carriage, will draw engine.
Nice for the carriages ! Thanks !

I'll also have to contribute a DB BR 101, very close to the early TRAXXs.
Attachments
DB BR 101.png
DB BR 101.png (2.41 KiB) Viewed 3476 times
Last edited by Dave on 04 Jul 2018 22:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Copyright discussion

Return to “Graphics Development”