bancs valuables

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ANIKHTOS
Engineer
Engineer

bancs valuables

Post by ANIKHTOS »

i was playing a game and i focus only in a city development to make a monster city so far 81.ooo peopel but we get there with a growth rate per 2 days.

as my town grow i had a banl but the problem was i could not transport the valuable anywhere since there was 1 bank in the game.

also i know that banks are industry which make them follow other rules than houses

so here is my idea

1. banks will be consider a house not an industry and as such we can have more than 1 in a big city which will be more realistic and also will give you transport options for within a huge city
it will be like the shopping center will be build more than once per town
2. also the house produce 2 values and accept 1 more is it possible to add 1 more value the valuables to be produced?? lets say the biggest of the building 1/16 or 1/32 or even 1/64 which will make many building needed to have a station to accept provide valuables.

i think solution number 2 is more elegant but i do not know if you can have the production acceptance in the city building other than 1/8

and i have also an idea for a disaster
ROBBERIES
you can get a message robbery at the bank .... which will make the bank no operational for a period of time
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: bancs valuables

Post by Eddi »

there is a setting for "more than one industry per town"

as for 2: how is that different from mail?
ANIKHTOS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ANIKHTOS »

Eddi wrote:there is a setting for "more than one industry per town"

well i know there is a setting for more industries of 1 kind
but i do not want to end up having the towns building multiple industires in the map that will block things to build a rail network

so i was thinking to avoid that aspect

as for the other question how it will be different from mail
well it will work like mail but it will not be mail

now we have buildings generatign 2 things passangers and mail, is it possible to make them generate 3??? passangers mail and valuables??
that will be the difference you will have 3 thigns to transport in the city not only 2
ANIKHTOS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ANIKHTOS »

Eddi wrote:there is a setting for "more than one industry per town"

hwo is coal different form iron ore? wood?

if valuables are more in town then it add another problem for you to solve,
how you will transport it inside a town

if you use road vehicles or trams that will put more pressure and stress in your roads which may end up collapsing from the extra vehicles

if you try to build rail to transport it then you will loose passengers, mail and also valuables,

while in coal and wood they are in many cases in different routes

adding more cargo in the same route will make the route to choke and give one more aspect of difficult if you want to play a town game

now imagine
that we have in the city not only passenger mail and valuables but a 4th cargo how more complicated things will become
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

IMO the current game isn't adapted to road vehicles anyway.

As soon as you setup a road vehicle service, it's overflowed.
Trucks have too small capacity and industries (and houses) produce too much cargo for trucks.

This idea about bank could be nice, but the valuable quantity should be drastically reduced : so only a few trucks should be needed.

For the other industries, I still wonder how this can be fixed. I guess all industries should produce less, but payment rates should be increased.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

MagicBuzz wrote:As soon as you setup a road vehicle service, it's overflowed.
False. I made a big road station in my current game and despite all the passengers waiting at it, each time there's a bus that comes empty and returns full. It gets always emptied by a bus or a tram.
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

Play OTTD with no GRFs, normal settings and without "hacks" like "joint-stations", and this will be impossible.

From the begining of Transport Tycoon, buses and trucks are "buggy" as the production rates of industries/cities are tuned for train services.

The only way to "fix" this is to apply daylength patch to reduce those production rates, use hug joint-stations or GRFs that change bus/trucks capacities of industries/house production rates.
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

MagicBuzz wrote:From the begining of Transport Tycoon, buses and trucks are "buggy" as the production rates of industries/cities are tuned for train services.
I find they can be handy for small services at the beginning of the game, when money is tight.

ANIKHTOS wrote:now we have buildings generatign 2 things passangers and mail, is it possible to make them generate 3??? passangers mail and valuables??
According to the current NewGRF Specs Houses Properties, this doesn't seem to be possible at the moment. Just 2 cargo types produced (passenger and mail), and 3 accepted (passenger, mail and goods/food/fizzydrinks)
It seems to be possible to change which cargo is accepted, but these limits seem to be fixed: 2 cargos produced, 3 accepted.

I'm not an expert at house coding, though, and I may be wrong.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

MagicBuzz wrote:Play OTTD with no GRFs, normal settings and without "hacks" like "joint-stations", and this will be impossible.

From the begining of Transport Tycoon, buses and trucks are "buggy" as the production rates of industries/cities are tuned for train services.

The only way to "fix" this is to apply daylength patch to reduce those production rates, use hug joint-stations or GRFs that change bus/trucks capacities of industries/house production rates.
No, i didn't use any joint station. Just 8 bus platforms and 8 truck platforms + about 275 buses, about 260 trucks and 156 trams, not separating pax and cargo trams. Of course GRFs could be a "cheat" but i don't use the bigger-capacity buses i can have (i use 2cc Bus Set, 2cc Tram Set, Ikarus Set 6 and Hungarian Truck Set) because they are very slow and all my buses go at 100 kph and above in terms of maximal speed.
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

If you have more than 1 road station type in your station, then it's a joint station.

Disable the option (that is not present in TT nor TTD) and you won't be able to place more that 1 bus and 1 truck stop in the same station.

And at this time, you'll never be able to handle all the passengers or mails when the city have more that 1000 inhabitants
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

No, all of them are sticked together. It's not a joint station. When you have a 16-track station, it's not a joint station.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

MagicBuzz wrote:If you have more than 1 road station type in your station, then it's a joint station.

Disable the option (that is not present in TT nor TTD) and you won't be able to place more that 1 bus and 1 truck stop in the same station.

And at this time, you'll never be able to handle all the passengers or mails when the city have more that 1000 inhabitants
that is not "normal settings". and i don't think that even is still a setting anymore.
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

As I said, I speak about TT and TTD, as OTTD is based on the original TTD code.

TT and TTD don't allow to have more than 1 bus stop and 1 truck stop per station.
And railroad stations were also very limited as you weren't able to have more that 7 (or 9 ?) cases long station and 6 cases large (if I remember well).

The rail station limit was not very blocking, but the bus and truck station limit was absolute bulls*** making buses and trucks useless (you always has awfull rating).

As the fundamentals of cargo and passengers generating didn't change much in OTTD, I can conclude that TTD wasn't correclty tuned for buses and trucks, and this is still an open work on OTTD.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

MagicBuzz wrote:As I said, I speak about TT and TTD
uhm. no. let me quote this:
MagicBuzz wrote:Play OTTD with no GRFs, normal settings and without "hacks"
and everything after that was just more iterations of pointless tautological nonsense a la "if you disable every useful feature the remaining features are not useful anymore"

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”