Euro Truck Simulator 2 and American Truck Simulator

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Chrill

Re: Euro Truck Simulator 2

Post by Chrill »

I figured this is as good a place to post this as any.

In Europe, you almost never see trucks with bonnets up front. In USA, you almost never see trucks with flat fronts. I assume this is partly regulation (truck length limits in EU maybe??), but what is the major cause for this difference? And why has no American brands adopted the European style so that the trucks can be sold on both sides of the little lake we call the Atlantic Ocean? I've never seen a Peterbilt or a Kenworth in Europe. The only brand on both sides is Volvo, and even they make specific trucks for Europe and USA.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Chrill wrote:In Europe, you almost never see trucks with bonnets up front. In USA, you almost never see trucks with flat fronts. I assume this is partly regulation (truck length limits in EU maybe??), but what is the major cause for this difference? And why has no American brands adopted the European style so that the trucks can be sold on both sides of the little lake we call the Atlantic Ocean? I've never seen a Peterbilt or a Kenworth in Europe. The only brand on both sides is Volvo, and even they make specific trucks for Europe and USA.
I guess it has something to do with axle loading. In the US the maximum axle loading is 7.7 tonnes, while in Europe it's up to 12 tonnes. So you end up with more axles, more spread wheels, longer vehicle length. You can sort of see the same with the heavy trailers.

On the other hand, due to the twistyness of european roads, short trucks are needed very badly.

There's some possibility that the Chicken War might also have something to do with so...
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Saibot
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Saibot »

There are many reasons why the vehicle design differs, the main one being that the rules for maximum lenght is different, I believe only the cargo area is counted over there but here we also count in the cab which means the bigger cab you have, the smaller the cargo space has to be - which is no way to make money. However a conventional (long nosed) truck is more aerodynamic and many americans also feels it gives them added security of having something between them and the object they might crash into. Surely there are many more other reasons as well, but there are americans trucks in europe - allthough they're very rare and privately imported. :)
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Saibot wrote:However a conventional (long nosed) truck is more aerodynamic and many americans also feels it gives them added security of having something between them and the object they might crash into. Surely there are many more other reasons as well, but there are americans trucks in europe - allthough they're very rare and privately imported. :)
I guess you don't need aerodynamics when the engine still do 2 mpg ! Also, I wonder how safe is it to be perched behind an engine block rather than above it, with the engine block needing to "crumple" for modern design (the VNL does so)...

In any case, there are COEs in the US. Some accounts give that Scania 4 COE were quite numerous, and there are some COE made by american manufacturers (like Freightliner). In reverse there was the Scania T in Europe.
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I've been driving again! My computer is a potato, but this game runs fairly OK despite this. Let's showcase some photos. This is ETS2 with all map DLCs (East Europe, Scandinavia, France, Italy) and the newest version of ProMods (which our dear Purno has contributed to!).

A weak DAF is not suitable for handling dual trailers, but we do what we can. Picture taken outside Linköping.
ets2_00004.png
(2.29 MiB) Not downloaded yet
A more powerful vehicle, the new Mercedes-Benz New Actros (with a delicious Swedish paint job) is not a small truck. Welsh roundabouts however, are indeed small. Fishguard (Abergwaun) presented a challenge but we made it through unscathed.
ets2_00271.png
(2.82 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Norway. What a beautiful country it is. This photo, featuring my newest Scania S with lots of lights and stuff, is taken at a resting place by the Gangåsvatnet west of Orkanger.
ets2_00277.png
(1.88 MiB) Not downloaded yet
The same Scania later found itself way further south, more specifically in Piatra Neamț, Romania. These rural run-down roads was a welcome challenge compared to the polished (albeit narrow) roads of Scandinavia.
ets2_00279.png
(2.39 MiB) Not downloaded yet
It's funny how endlessly driving about can take you to such varying places. The southernmost portion of the map is the island of Sicily. In this photo, I've just picked up a digger from a mining site south of Palermo.
ets2_00282.png
(2.5 MiB) Not downloaded yet
My Scenarios:
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Some nice looking shots here, though a very Swedish truck in the Fishguard pic, surely it should be a Scania?! :P

This does remind me that I need to get Promods again however!
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Yes well, upon redownloading ETS2 there were new Scania and Mercedes trucks. The "new" Volvo had already been trialled.

My Scania features some Norse writing and a large image of Odin, so that's rather Swedish. Not to mention Scania is, well, Swedish too.

I'm a big fan of the new Scania, it's powerful and nice to drive. And the interior is decent to look at!
My Scenarios:
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Chrill wrote:I'm a big fan of the new Scania, it's powerful and nice to drive. And the interior is decent to look at!
It doesn't look quaint, but it looks brave :wink:

I have a Scania S730 (previously some RJL 6-series, previously a (RJL) 4-series and 3-series). I do like the shape of 3-series (as angled as the new, and very quaint) but given the limited options it have (definitely no-one is making a 730hp engine on it and the lack of good sounds) I finally upped to the 4-series, then when the new one is rolled out irl I like the looks of it, so I try to get the looks of it as close as possible by modding the 6-series. When it is actually rolled in game, it's clear as day I need one !
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
siu238X
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by siu238X »

YNM wrote:
Chrill wrote:I'm a big fan of the new Scania, it's powerful and nice to drive. And the interior is decent to look at!
It doesn't look quaint, but it looks brave :wink:

I have a Scania S730 (previously some RJL 6-series, previously a (RJL) 4-series and 3-series). I do like the shape of 3-series (as angled as the new, and very quaint) but given the limited options it have (definitely no-one is making a 730hp engine on it and the lack of good sounds) I finally upped to the 4-series, then when the new one is rolled out irl I like the looks of it, so I try to get the looks of it as close as possible by modding the 6-series. When it is actually rolled in game, it's clear as day I need one !
Yeah, I now drive a Scania S730 as well:

Frankly though, I am slightly disappointed by their plan to include the Baltics instead of Iberia or Balkans... I somewhat think they just follow where ProMods have completed now...
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

ProMods are doing the Balkans and Iberia though. :wink:
My Scenarios:
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

siu238X wrote:Frankly though, I am slightly disappointed by their plan to include the Baltics instead of Iberia or Balkans... I somewhat think they just follow where ProMods have completed now...
I think it's because the thing has been cooking for a good while. I'm not sure of their arrangments, but all DLC so far released has been directly connected to the "old area" - this Baltic DLC will be the first that requires another DLC for proper gameplay (barring unusual ferries).

True that a Balkan DLC would be directly connected to the base area, however I think that would draw criticism (why not release along with Italy ? why south ?). I also feel that they're familiar with the areas that they're making, so a relative neighbor of SCS' home country makes a bit more sense (at least compared to Iberia, Balkan should be their close neighbor, but geopolitics... ah, you know).

They just need to visit the place first, I'd say.
Last edited by YNM on 16 Mar 2018 00:03, edited 1 time in total.
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I'd honestly vote for them to pay the ProMods team for their development so far, bug test it inhouse properly, and release that as a DLC with a 50/50 split between Promods and SCS. The Promods guys are so productive and talented, and the ability to drive in Iceland or other minor locations is beautiful to me!

That way, SCS can focus on developing American Truck Simulator which currently seems to release a new state every six or so months. USA has 50 states, continental USA has 48. I don't want to wait 24 years before being able to play the entire continent :mrgreen:
My Scenarios:
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Chrill wrote:I'd honestly vote for them to pay the ProMods team for their development so far, bug test it inhouse properly, and release that as a DLC with a 50/50 split between Promods and SCS.
I think the point of these DLCs is not to bar any community-made modifications - DLC areas tends to be sparser than ProMods rebuilt areas, for once. The point is to give new areas to those that have hard times accessing the mods or somesuch (quite unarguable these days - I think it's closer to just pack in new models, assets and textures).

However, a ProMods ATS with SCS... given how sparse the US is anyway, it sounds like good calling for me.
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Doorslammer »

Plenty new toys coming shortly, Scania S gets an 8x4 heavy hauler, plus animated hoses for pretty much everything so far. Good stuff.
Lesarthois
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lesarthois »

Chrill wrote:(truck length limits in EU maybe??),I've never seen a Peterbilt or a Kenworth in Europe. The only brand on both sides is Volvo, and even they make specific trucks for Europe and USA.
In France, I can confirm that a heavy freight truck is limited to 16.5 metres.
https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichCo ... e=20080531
And the trailer itself cannont exceed 12 metres between the pivot to attach the trailer, and the back of the trailer.
So goven those measurement, a truck for the French market cannot have a cab that is longer than 4.5 metres (but apparently there are european rules that reduce that to 2.5 metres).
For the brands, much like cars, and even more than cars, national regulations are more stringent.

Also, let's be clear : nobody in Europe own any non-metric tools, except the UK, probably. So that would cause problem for fixing them.
After WWII, there were Dodge (and other brands, but people called them Dodge, even if there was a big GMC on them:p ) trucks everywhere, but merely 10 years after, only professionnal mechanics or people skilled enough or with non metric tools kept them running.

My father said he was still seeing them way in the 80's.

Also, US trucks and European truck are probably buildt differently, in term of power and such (taxes on horsepower.) and simply from the need and use :

France and Texas. France is the largest (by land) country of the European Union, one of the biggest one of continental Europe behind Ukraine (and Russia if you count it).
You don't need to scale your truck the same for a smaller average travel.
In France, most tarffic would be handled by train, so there were no large trucks before the 1960's. If you look at a pic of a French highway of the time, you might see light trucks, but no freighter.

https://youtu.be/WOVRPxtYay8
https://youtu.be/P9SaGpDIxSk
(very typical of the traffic of the era! 6 toll booth for light vehicles, and only one for "vehicles with trailer and other vehicles".)

If you're curious, and look at older European trucks, you can see that up to the 70's, trucks used to have a standard "front engine", and that by the 70's, the engine creeped under the cab.

rbos86
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by rbos86 »

rbos86' Screenshots thread is here
rbos86' Unrealistic Dutch games -thread, on the other hand,is this button
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Just download Promods. They've done all this already :mrgreen:
My Scenarios:
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Lesarthois wrote:France and Texas. France is the largest (by land) country of the European Union, one of the biggest one of continental Europe behind Ukraine (and Russia if you count it).
You don't need to scale your truck the same for a smaller average travel.
Not necessarily, many truck usage in Europe are also cross-border traffic. There's a reason why the Netherlands, despite being rather small and transit and cycle oriented, has to make a lot of motorways.
Chrill wrote:
rbos86 wrote:Me happy! Very much!
ProMods could still use the new assets though.

I also wonder whether SCS rebuilds the routes. Quite a number of them weren't representative of any routes.
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

Chrill wrote:
ProMods is too much faff for me. I tried it and then ETS was updated and you've gotta download it all over again... To much effort for too little gain, IMO.
Last known as: Weirdy
rbos86
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by rbos86 »

SkeedR wrote:
Chrill wrote:
ProMods is too much faff for me. I tried it and then ETS was updated and you've gotta download it all over again... To much effort for too little gain, IMO.
I've tried Promods, but I wanted to play World of Trucks assignments. So, I've played basemap all the time since. With the DLCs, in my case.
I think great about this new update SCS has announced.
rbos86' Screenshots thread is here
rbos86' Unrealistic Dutch games -thread, on the other hand,is this button

Return to “Off-Topic”