Diagonal Canals

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Diagonal Canals

Post by Quast65 »

romazoon wrote:Question to the experimented people with overlapping tile...should i go for overlaping the canal only from one side, because, if i understood well, the overlaping sprite has to comes in front and not from the back right ?
In this case it doesnt matter, as the overlaps wont reach so far that vehicles (or in this case ships) will cross over/under them, because you only need to overlap the land and shore-line, not the water.
The only problem that may arise is that overlaps at the far ends of an actual waterway may poke through ships that pass by. If that is the case then that can be solved by extending the boundingbox of the tile with the overlap.
That is a code-job, so the graphics artist doesnt have to worry about that.
You can safely draw all of the possible overlaps for all the sides, no computers will explode ;-)
And overlaps will probably always glitch, its a "feature" :tongue:

And I agree with your choice to draw the water and not the land, indeed you will then make them automatically compatible for each climate (and even snow-aware).
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

these look great, unfortunately I suspect it'll be one of the things that'll fall by the side and never be added to trunk...

Is there any patches that allow diagonal canals currently?
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

Quast65 wrote:You can safely draw all of the possible overlaps for all the sides, no computers will explode
thanks Quast !exactly what i needed to keep me busy today XD... And so, i put the fire extinguisher back to closet :mrgreen:

Don t be too pessimistic redirect left, first because there is already existing a newgrf hack that allow it for rivers so i don t see why it would not work for canals; Then the other reason, is if it doens t work as canal tiles, it could work as fake canal tiles (with overlaps) and so player will be able to cover the working canal.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Quast65 wrote: overlaps will probably always glitch, its a "feature"
"Overlapping" isn´t even a "feature", it is an ugly "hack". But probably a reciprocal addition to a buggy game.

regards
Michael
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

So here are the pieces with water overlap...i m just unsure how the overlap part should be, is that fine like that ?

(edit: updated previous post with other overlaping tile, not posted in this reply because limit of 3 file)
Attachments
Fake Canal Enlargement-Straight Piece with water overlap.png
Fake Canal Enlargement-Straight Piece with water overlap.png (8.24 KiB) Viewed 1592 times
Fake Canal Diagonal Piece-With Bank&Water Overlap-for connection to other diagonal piece.png
Fake Canal Diagonal Piece-With Bank&Water Overlap-for connection to other diagonal piece.png (8.8 KiB) Viewed 1592 times
Fake Canal Diagonal Piece-for connection to straight piece with Overlap B.png
Fake Canal Diagonal Piece-for connection to straight piece with Overlap B.png (8.5 KiB) Viewed 1592 times
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

romazoon wrote:And about matching graphics, i like a lot the one you use too... which set it comes from ? depending on the licence i could maybe have a try at doing matching graphics
That's just Japanese landscape with the classic TTD baseset. :wink:
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

Pyoro wrote: the classic TTD baseset
does japanset has customized canals ? i dont remember that, so i supose then your canals are from TTD baseset...and so are kinda licence limiting right ? even though i would do only the diagonal pieces with matching graphics (and so no problem as i would have to draw them from scratch, i could not reuse the existing ones for straight pieces and ship this in a newgrf publicly available... So i might prefer saving some time for now and try to see complete a first style of canals then will see later if we should add more (water type someone ? :mrgreen: )
Attachments
All Canal Diagonal Tile (With&Without Overlap).png
All Canal Diagonal Tile (With&Without Overlap).png (40.59 KiB) Viewed 1585 times
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

romazoon wrote:
Pyoro wrote: the classic TTD baseset
does japanset has customized canals ? i dont remember that, so i supose then your canals are from TTD baseset...
Well, bugger me, I poked around a bit and it's not either of those.

I tried a few other GRFs that seemed like but didn't figure out which one is responsible for the canals. Well, if you're curious here's the list ... ^^;
amconfused.png
amconfused.png (10.81 KiB) Viewed 1580 times
Maybe it's a parameter or something I forgot ^^;
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

I think you were right when you said TTD base set graphics, those are activated in the game menu "option" i believe (not in parametes, neither in newgrf)
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

romazoon wrote:I think you were right when you said TTD base set graphics, those are activated in the game menu "option" i believe (not in parametes, neither in newgrf)
Yes, I must correct my correction. The confusion happened because I tested in temperate climate. Temperate climate for some reason has different canals than arctic or tropic. So, yes, it's the TTD baseset. Sorry about the confusion ;)

Return to “Graphics Development”