Eurovision Song Contest 2018

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Griff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Post by Griff »

Mr. X wrote:It got me thinking though, maybe a global song contest would be cool to see as well. Invite every country and see what other continents with vastly different cultures can bring to the table. :)
You should get some of that if the Eurovision Asia Contest kicks off. You'll get the contrast between Oceanic countries and Asian ones.
Ukončete, prosím, výstup a nástup, dveře se zavírají
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Griff wrote:You should get some of that if the Eurovision Asia Contest kicks off. You'll get the contrast between Oceanic countries and Asian ones.
What ? XD

Hmm... Completely diferent stuffs... Can't imagine how that will go ! (hope everyone is making some slightly cultural things in, otherwise it's bland, or otherwise it'll be very bloody XD)
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Mr. X wrote: It got me thinking though, maybe a global song contest would be cool to see as well. Invite every country and see what other continents with vastly different cultures can bring to the table. :)
I did once consider trying to do that, however getting the startup costs together would be an immense challenge.

It'd be nice to try starting perhaps an American one, where every state has a singer, or perhaps a commonwealther ediition featuring members of the commonwealth, that'd be quite interesting as you have a lot of different cultures under that name, such as Canada, Jamaica, Bahamas, Kenya, Botswana, India, New Zealand, Australia - plus lots of small islands such as Tuvalu & Vanuatu. Imagine the huge differences between songs Canada would put out compared to those of say Jamaica. Would be a right laugh.
If i thought I could convince enough broadcasters to pool together and fund the first one, i'd totally try going for it.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

It's happening!
[+] Spoiler
Crikey. Stage invasion during the UKs performance. Someone grabbed the mic from SuRie and screamed into the mic words to the effect of "For the Nazis of the UK media, we demand freedom" - sentence quotes from the BBC, not my own hearing.
I'm not sure in what context the freedom is wanted

Israel the winners - the final scores are here; http://imghst.co/83/o&I54lwZtL.png
I'm not sure if the incident with SuRies stage invasion affected our points, but it was a poor showing from us.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Redirect Left wrote:I'm not sure if the incident with SuRies stage invasion affected our points, but it was a poor showing from us.
According to ECS, SuRie was offered the opportunity to perform again, she declined, she felt she gave her best effort and it stood on its own merits.

I missed today's performance, my daughter was getting married. I'm completely not shocked by Israel's win, I pegged it as the favorite. Czech Republic and Croatia were also two of my favorites, I'm glad to see they did well. I'm disappointed that Netherland's Waylon didn't do better. I've not seen his performance, but I have a feeling that it's because it's more American-style "hard country" than more traditional Americana that is working against it. God, I'd love to see him in American media, though - he'd pack out stadiums like crazy. I suspect, however, because he chose his name in honor of his mentor, the legendary Waylon Jenning, that this would hurt his marketing because people would be confused (I'm sure rampant rumors accusing him of being Jenning's illegitimate child, for example :roll: )

Who was your most disappointing performance?
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

SuRie definitely got more points than she would have without being the victim of that stage attack.

I liked Israel so I don't mind them winning it, but with Trump being all "Jerusalem is Israel", and Israel tending to host in Jerusalem this may turn into a very political 2019 contest. We shall see. How about letting Palestine submit an entry like Australia?
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Redirect Left wrote: I'm personally going to tip either Israel or Czechia to pull out the win this time around. Those songs are the unique ones I think for this years competition, and unique in a winning way, not a "just because you can, means you should" way. We've had plenty of Eurovision songs that prove just because you can, doesn't mean you should. I think Australia may round off the top 3, along with these two.
Well. Here we are. Going back to this post - seems I managed to call it, at least the winner.

Czechias artist, Mikolas Josef suffered an accident during the rehearsals and badly damaged his back, so he sang quite well, even if it was a little flat, considering his injury, he also still managed to perform quite well too. Of their 281 points, 215 came from the televoting - so it went down a lot better with watchers than the judges. They came 6th in the end - Czechias highest result to date.

Germany I found surprisingly nice, I didn't cover it in my original "yay these people" post, as it felt a little meh. But watching it being performed it was a pretty good and catchy song, and it certainly registered with viewers, coming 4th.

I am surprised Australia didn't come higher, at 20th its a bit of a poor showing. I wonder if they'll still be competing next year?
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Redirect Left wrote:
Redirect Left wrote: I am surprised Australia didn't come higher, at 20th its a bit of a poor showing. I wonder if they'll still be competing next year?
No word yet on whether they will be reinvited but they have been part of it for a few years now.

Iceland is petitioning to not join next year's edition. Over 23000 Icelanders have signed, which is just under 10% of the entire population. It's like UK having a petition with 5 million signatures. That's a lot.
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Chrill wrote: Iceland is petitioning to not join next year's edition. Over 23000 Icelanders have signed, which is just under 10% of the entire population. It's like UK having a petition with 5 million signatures. That's a lot.
Oh, why so? I hope they're not bitter about being the only Nordic country to never win it.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Redirect Left wrote:Oh, why so? I hope they're not bitter about being the only Nordic country to never win it.
Oh I don't know, I think it's something to do with Israel murdering 70 Palestinians whilst moving the US embassy to Jerusalem. Which is where the next edition of ESC will take place.
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Chrill wrote:
Redirect Left wrote:Oh, why so? I hope they're not bitter about being the only Nordic country to never win it.
Oh I don't know, I think it's something to do with Israel murdering 70 Palestinians whilst moving the US embassy to Jerusalem. Which is where the next edition of ESC will take place.
Israel are yet to select a venue, although some in Jerusalem are being considered yes. The seeming potential hosts currently are arenas in Beersheba, Haifa, Jerusalen, Petah Tikva & Tel Aviv. (Although the Petah Tikva bid requires the stadium to uh... be built first).
I find it unlikely they'll host it in Jerusalem, due to the arguements over its claim. They need to ensure everyone who attends the tournament will be kept safe at all times, so I suspect they'll try using Tel Aviv, it's fairly in the middle, and away from Palestinian arguments and the Gaza strip, which is also disputed.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

They did host it in Jerusalem last time around. Sweden won, then!
My Scenarios:

Return to “Off-Topic”