Diagonal Canals

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Diagonal Canals

Post by romazoon »

Only found a old thread talking about it

Where Yexo said : I haven't seen anybody who claims it's impossible. It's simply that A) nobody has created the graphics for it yet and B) nobody has coded support for it yet (no particular order).

We can now erase A), Diagonal Canal have now some graphics, not the best ever graphics (i made them and tried to match the existing canals graphics), but it s better than nothing, is there any volunteer to code them ?
The attachment Diagonal Canal Preview.PNG is no longer available

Fake Canal Diagonal Piece-With Overlap-for connection to other diagonal piece.png
Fake Canal Diagonal Piece-With Overlap-for connection to other diagonal piece.png (7.28 KiB) Viewed 1366 times
Fake Canal Diagonal Piece-for connection to straight piece.png
Fake Canal Diagonal Piece-for connection to straight piece.png (7.32 KiB) Viewed 1366 times
Fake Canal Enlargement-Straight Piece 1.png
Fake Canal Enlargement-Straight Piece 1.png (7.27 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
I first thought to use them as newobject, hence the "fake canal" name of the file...but i sincerely would prefer them usable for ships ;)

So i realise it s missing some end piece for diagonal canals, that would be really quick to do, but i don t see a use for it in newobjects, so i haven t made it yet...will do when someones is willing to code diagonal canals

Edit : All graphics i made are released under GPL v2 License

Edit 2 : corrected enlargement-straight piece
Last edited by romazoon on 17 May 2018 22:23, edited 2 times in total.
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Diagonal Canals

Post by romazoon »

Diagonal Canal Preview.PNG
Diagonal Canal Preview.PNG (38.7 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

andythenorth wrote: diagonal rivers
but don t we allready have diagonal rivers ? at least with ogfx landscapes that is
diagonalrivers..PNG
diagonalrivers..PNG (69.89 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Très très beau... if only i knew some about C++...
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

romazoon wrote:but don t we allready have diagonal rivers ? at least with ogfx landscapes that is
They're not strictly diagonal, it's a clever graphical trick with corners, and ships pretty much behave correctly when traversing them.

I wanted to put 'proper' diagonal rivers in the game without requiring a clever trick in a grf. I got a bit too attached to the idea and pulled a silly drama when some people said I was wasting my time on it :) .

Water under the bridge now :twisted:
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

Again those Developers holding our hopes :twisted: The game is Dyiiinnnnnngggg :mrgreen:
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Patchers exist, you know :wink: If someone codes this and manages to convince the devs then it may be included. That how NewObjects got implemented in TTDPatch : someone requested it, then eis_os did a patch for that and it convinced enough Drexler to implement this feature.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

andythenorth wrote:
acs121 wrote:Patchers exist, you know :wink
I think we're both pretty aware of that, but thanks :wink:
I love irony :twisted:
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

Ha yeah, thanks ACS, i would have lost all hope without you :mrgreen:

Also We Need Water type! Why isn t it already in game ? :mrgreen:
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Hmmm...this wouldn't be quite realistic. We have rail types, road types and tram types thanks to NRT. Runway types could be added, though watertypes don't exist IRL.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

acs121 wrote:Runway types could be added, though watertypes don't exist IRL.
Of course they do ;) Depth, wave-size, prospective weather, salinity, etc. Not all boats would travel on every bit of water ^^;

(and actually a difference for canals and sea is already in the game ;) )
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

Pyoro wrote:Of course they do ;) Depth, wave-size, prospective weather, salinity, etc. Not all boats would travel on every bit of water ^^
Indeed ! that s what i have in mind....water depth increments per 1 meters, salinity (different kind of salinity level impacting runningcost, mud , swamps, swamps with crocodiles,)

I think we can ask the devs to directly make maximum water type types 64

Of course i mean 64K :P
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Even though water types exist, unlike rail, road and tram types, they don't have real differences. Ships - at least baseset ships - don't have much speed differences so it's no real use. Planes, however, don't have much speed differences either except for jet planes - though most of av8 aircraft have different speed.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

silly.png
silly.png (417.56 KiB) Viewed 1210 times
:mrgreen:

Ontopic, very nice graphics, I hope they make it in the game (at least as objects, if so, I would like to recommend some with a bit of overlap, so they can be visually connected to actual canals)
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

Ferdinand.png
Ferdinand.png (100.92 KiB) Viewed 1201 times
of course Quast, i thought of that and will indeed make some tiles with more water overlaping in case it stays as newobject ;)
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

I wonder what the best method for this is. If you make them build-able on water, as water objects, and draw the land portion instead of the water, you could use them for a 4-tile canal like this:
because_we_love_work_arounds.png
because_we_love_work_arounds.png (13.16 KiB) Viewed 1191 times
You'd have a 1 tile line in the middle with proper water. But as you can see, depending on the canal graphics used, there'd still need to be more overlap ^^;
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Haha ! Très drôle ! Ferdinand de Lesseps ! Alors qu'il n'a jamais construit de canaux en France...
Back on topic... let's hope someone's going to come and maybe code it...
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

Indeed Pyoro

problem with drawing the land though is that it would loose the climate awareness of the ground tile it s suposed to be built on...also i was thinking if not drawing the land, the tile could be half slope making it also not really slope aware, but at least slope compatible ;)

so i think that making the water overlap more to cover the "real canal" is the best (it s what Quast mentionned, and what i had in mind when starting them as newobjects)

And about matching graphics, i like a lot the one you use too... which set it comes from ? depending on the licence i could maybe have a try at doing matching graphics

Edit : Question to the experimented people with overlapping tile...should i go for overlaping the canal only from one side, because, if i understood well, the overlaping sprite has to comes in front and not from the back right ?
Fake Canal Diagonal Piece-for connection to straight piece with Overlap.png
Fake Canal Diagonal Piece-for connection to straight piece with Overlap.png (8.38 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
am i right to think that in this case the sprite 0 don t need to be made overlap as it would glitch badly and make explode computers :mrgreen: ?

Edit, added the sprite 0 with overlap
Attachments
Fake Canal Diagonal Piece-for connection to straight piece with Overlap A.png
Fake Canal Diagonal Piece-for connection to straight piece with Overlap A.png (8.69 KiB) Viewed 1127 times
Last edited by romazoon on 18 May 2018 10:01, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Graphics Development”