What happened to the old versions of the game on the US binaries server?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

DarkenMoon
Engineer
Engineer

What happened to the old versions of the game on the US binaries server?

Post by DarkenMoon »

I am trying to keep an archive of all the old OpenTTD versions, and it seems that the only server that has all the versions still is this one in the Netherlands. http://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/games/ope ... index.html

The US based binary server only has the latest version available (on release and trunk), are there any plans to bring them back? The Netherlands server is alright (thankfully someone still has all the versions), but it only downloads at about 17 KB/s, which will take quite some time to gather up all the files.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What happened to the old versions of the game on the US binaries server?

Post by orudge »

The UK and US binaries servers have never contained a full archive of OpenTTD, due to space limitations on the servers in question. I'm not sure if we have any other complete archives - ideally we probably should!
DarkenMoon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DarkenMoon »

Guess I was mistaken then, for some reason I thought that the US (and UK) based servers had archives of all the old versions for some reason. Anyway, thanks for the confirmation!
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

UK used to long ago, but that server was removed.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

I think I may have hosted a full binaries server in the US too, but due to server changes that was replaced with a "recent only" binaries server.
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

Please always use our main website to retrieve any binaries; please never use mirrors directly. We have some advanced tech that makes sure you end up at the right location depending on your request. Example URL to use:

https://www.openttd.org/en/download-stable/0.4.8

This archive goes back a very long time. In fact, it contains all releases we ever released.

Binaries from the nightlies are cleaned up from time to time; sources are archived for ever and ever too.

Depending on load, requests, space available, and a few more factors (geolocation, amount of mirrors that already replicate the binary, demand for that binary, ..), mirrors are loaded with different binaries. This might or might not have the version you want. Never depend on a mirror. Always use the URL above :) And you never wonder again! :D
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Return to “General OpenTTD”