Supplemental Unsurfaced Road Vehicles Set (SUV) (OpenTTD 1.10 required)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Auge
Director
Director

Re: Supplemental Unsurfaced Road Vehicles Set (SUV) (*NRT)

Post by Auge »

Hello
Kruemelchen wrote:I now finished the "out-commenting" of NRT-specific code in a subset of this set, so you may now play with a subset of the trucks of this set in vanilla OpenTTD or patch packs.
Thank you very much. ... Going to start a new game.

Tschö, Auge
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

Auge wrote:Thank you very much. ... Going to start a new game.
You're welcome :)
and greetings from the Mosel :wink:

Meanwhile I've been testing an amphibious car:
amphi-ranger amphibious car
amphi-ranger amphibious car
waterproof.png (29.36 KiB) Viewed 13442 times
:mrgreen: the "canal" looks still ugly though...
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Well, simply use those river graphics from OpenGFX for roads and aqueduct ones for bridges :wink:
It's too bad there can't be specific tiles for roadtype transition.
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

A very small update: Drew some PAZ buses tonight and sent them into the wasteland:
PAZ buses available from 1970s. Full off-road capability.
PAZ buses available from 1970s. Full off-road capability.
new paz busses.png (23.8 KiB) Viewed 13317 times
However, it will take some time until a new playable version will be ready...
I also want to refactor the project to use pnml / c preprocessor, before adding any new features, so the code will be easier to handle and the cargo graphics much more re-usable.

But before starting on that, I should first finish my other NRT Road Sets :lol:
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello

A short report about a small cosmetic issue with the non-NRT-set (should be the same with the NRT-set). It is a bit disturbing, that small transporters and vans produce a trail of smoke like a diesel driven locomotive. This might be ok for tractors but IMHo not for vans (F8, Barkas, etc.).

Tschö, Auge
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Auge wrote:Hello

A short report about a small cosmetic issue with the non-NRT-set (should be the same with the NRT-set). It is a bit disturbing, that small transporters and vans produce a trail of smoke like a diesel driven locomotive. This might be ok for tractors but IMHo not for vans (F8, Barkas, etc.).

Tschö, Auge
... shouldn't it be normal for old vans from the 50s / 70s ? Those ones do generate lots of smoke, and i know what i'm saying...
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

Auge wrote:Hello

Tschö, Auge
Thank you for your report :)

I will try to change that in a future release. I plan on coding custom smoke effects, that will also lead to better 'physics' (smoke only during acceleration). Until then all petrol driven cars will use the standard diesel smoke effect since there are no better fitting presets for petrol...
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
acs121 wrote:
Auge wrote:It is a bit disturbing, that small transporters and vans produce a trail of smoke like a diesel driven locomotive. This might be ok for tractors but IMHo not for vans (F8, Barkas, etc.).
... shouldn't it be normal for old vans from the 50s / 70s ? Those ones do generate lots of smoke, and i know what i'm saying...
No, not for the namely vehicles. They was driven by petrol, even it was mixed (the first 1000 km with a new motor with a ration of 1 litre oil on 33 litres petrol (1/33), thereafter the mix was 1/50). There was smoke and it was everything else than healthy but not that much smoke like seen in the game. :-)

And yes, I also know what I'm talking about. I grew up with these vehicles. Also the old models from the 1930-ies to 1950-ies (DKW F8, Multicar 21 (Dieselameise), Wartburg 311/312/313 and so on) was really common in my childhood in the 1970-ies and 80-ies.

Tschö, Auge
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

Of course from today's standpoint even trabis produce a huge amount of smoke :P

By the way, I've drawn two small Robur trucks from the 30s (Granit 30) and 50s (Garant 30K A) from the small but nice city of Zittau :)
small (off-road) Robur trucks from the 30s / 50s (the latter also has a bus version)
small (off-road) Robur trucks from the 30s / 50s (the latter also has a bus version)
new robur trucks.jpg (30.57 KiB) Viewed 13218 times
With a trailer they can heave up to 4 ton, so quite small but with 80 km/h pretty fast and handy.
Ingame they can be used to connect villages or deliver goods and the like.

Edit: And here come's the last Robur truck of this set:
Robur 3000A (mesh up)
Robur 3000A (mesh up)
robur.gif (13.44 KiB) Viewed 13187 times
Available from the 60s and capable of heaving 3 ton through the mud*

*well, kinda
Lesarthois
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lesarthois »

Nice idea, and nice to see some "exotic" cars and trucks here. :P

For some reason, East German vehicles never really reached France, unlike several other Soviet/Satellite brands (Lada of course, but also Moskvitch, ARO, FSO, Zastava, Skoda, and for tractors, TUB and MTZ - thinking about it, light trucks never made it, either).

Tho, the Trabant and Wartburgs were exported, the Trabant for less than 6 months, the Wartburg for some years, but it failed to catch on, I suppose due to the antiquated engine. Why would you buy a noisy and smelly 3 cylinder two-stroke Wartburg when a Lada 1200s or a Fiat-Polski offered the same trimming and space with a more silent and much more common motor? :D

Anyway, I noticed an odd bug, in that on the list of roads, I now get 2 new road depots types.
They act like the standard road type, but it kinda clutter the road list uselessly.
SUV Bug
SUV Bug
OpenTTD SUVBUG.png (78.21 KiB) Viewed 13157 times
And you could add a French/Eastern vehicle in the roster ;)
Avai trucks were licenced copies of the SAVIEM trucks :
Last edited by Lesarthois on 18 Jul 2018 23:05, edited 1 time in total.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Lesarthois wrote:Nice idea, and nice to see some "exotic" cars and trucks here. :P

For some reason, East German vehicles never really reached France, unlike several other Soviet/Satellite brands (Lada of course, but also Moskvitch, ARO, FSO, Zastava, Skoda, and for tractors, TUB and MTZ - thinking about it, light trucks never made it, either).

Tho, the Trabant and Wartburgs were exported, the Trabant for less than 6 months, the Wartburg for some years, but it failed to catch on, I suppose due to the antiquated engine. Why would you buy a noisy and smelly 3 cylinder two-stroke Wartburg when a Lada 1200s or a Fiat-Polski offered the same trimming and space with a more silent and much more common motor? :D

Anyway, I noticed an odd bug, in that on the list of roads, I now get 2 new road depots types.
They act like the standard road type, but it kinda clutter the road list uselessly.

OpenTTD SUVBUG.png
Man, when Fiat-Polski existed no such French guy bought any of those cars. If they wanted cars from the same builder, they'd have to buy Simca cars.
Lesarthois
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lesarthois »

My grand-father owned a Fiat-Polski 128p.

Fiat-Polski were imported in France in the late 60's or eary 70's, and by this time, Fiat had been importing their cars under the Fiat name since the end of the war, and Simca was a totally independant company that didn't had much relationship at this point with Fiat.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Lesarthois wrote:My grand-father owned a Fiat-Polski 128p.

Fiat-Polski were imported in France in the late 60's or eary 70's, and by this time, Fiat had been importing their cars under the Fiat name since the end of the war, and Simca was a totally independant company that didn't had much relationship at this point with Fiat.
Simca was founded by Fiat, although later on it separated from Fiat, and even bought Ford France. I didn't even know Fiat-Polski cars were imported to France, you learned me something here.
And you have a point here, eastern cars were a lot imported here, mainly Dacia, but Lada too, i did see many Nivas running in France, with a French immatriculation.
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

Thank you for your comment, Lesarthois :)

I didn't know so many eastern European car makers exported to France too. Too bad Wartburgs etc didn't really catch on. I knew they were exported to Great Britain, but of course it didn't run too well either. The motor, well, they would have built more modern motors if they were allowed to do so by the central committee...
When I was small I rather didn't like trabants because they lack every possible comfort :lol: But the first car my grand-parents bought after the crumbling of the wall had been a Fiat Panda, so basically a trabant with a 'modern' motor :lol: (like the last produced trabant used to have) However, the 3-cylinder motor made it back after all, my last two cars have one of those :)
Lesarthois wrote:Anyway, I noticed an odd bug, in that on the list of roads, I now get 2 new road depots types.
This 'known bug' is unavoidable for now, since NRT does't support RoadTypes for compatibility yet. You see those two Roads in the Road Menu since this set uses 4 types of cars, from which 2 have their distinct road types, the other 2 serve as kind of 'compatibility layer'
This will be tackled in future versions of NRT though :)
And you could add a French/Eastern vehicle in the roster ;)
Actually this set is focused on off-road vehicles, though it is mainly focused on eastern German vehicles so it also contains non-off-road vehicles. This already seems a bit inconsistent, which is why there is a non-NRT version with only the eastern German vehicles.
If it fits well, I can also look to include some French vehicles, but I think they would deserve their own roster :)
Lesarthois
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lesarthois »

So it's a NRT problem, alright. I don't mind it so much since the depots and roads are compatible.

For the Truck, Avia trucks were made in Czeckoslovakia, so they "fit" in your roster, and those Avia certain saw more dirt roads in their time that paved roads ;)
Regardless, it was just a suggestion. Purely French vehicles would deserve their own roster indeed.

(haha, you can see that the truck bear the Renault logo and the French "Super Goelette SG2" name. most likely they used a French ad)
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

Yes, of course you're right about Avia trucks :)

I think the 32 bpp Czech set already has Avia trucks in its roster...

But I'll see what I can do :D
It would be especially nice to feature Czech light trucks from the 1990s onward :)

PS: if you load this set together with country roads AND supermop's Unspooled GRF you won't have empty Road Type entries, as I use the labels of supermop's set for compatibility :wink:
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

I've drawn them a while ago, but had no time to post them here.

AVIA trucks of the D series, available from 1999:
Avia D120 4x4 + D60
Avia D120 4x4 + D60
avia trucks.png (25.76 KiB) Viewed 12961 times
(left) long sized D120 with 4x4 support
(right) short sized D60

There are still glitches with the cargo graphics, that'll need some fine tuning to resolve, though :lol:

Also I've become lazy in drawing 1x zoom sprites, so they look rather ugly at the normal zoom level :lol:
Don't really know how to solve that. Maybe I'll ditch hand drawn 1x zoom sprites altogether and just use resized sprites instead. As the vehicles are pretty small compared to trains etc., who looks at them at normal zoom level anyway? :twisted:
The positive side of resized sprites is that they don't have slightly different measures as they do now due to me not having being too accurate in drawing them (lot's of work drawing everything twofold ....)

Alternatively I can ditch company colours and encode them in 32bit, so the resized sprites look a bit smoother but meh ... fan of 8bit here :P

PS: Not sure if I'll also add previous Avia trucks, as the set will already feature Werdau trucks, which have about the same size/power but better off-road support
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Kruemelchen wrote:Alternatively I can ditch company colours and encode them in 32bit, so the resized sprites look a bit smoother but meh ... fan of 8bit here
First, going to 32bpp graphics doesn't meant you have to ditch 2CC. You just need to do a little more work to make it happen. Second, 32bpp graphics only affects the number of colors. You can still use pixel art to create your graphics, you gain greater control over gradients in order to create a smoother appearance.
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

as long as the CC mask doesn't allow alpha (transparency) it doesn't necessarily produce better results than 8 bit. Again, who sits just in front of the screen to look at the tiny pixels at 1-zoom, when you have 2 zoom graphics anyway :wink:

Meanwhile I drew an Unimog from the 40s/50s:
unimog2010.png
unimog2010.png (26.15 KiB) Viewed 12849 times
It's more expensive than the Multicars of this set, but at least the early models can pull quite some log through the mud* -- almost like a 'real' tractor but 'faster'

*theoretically, also this set assumes all trailers have breaks :P
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

An update regarding the unimogs :)

Models are now available from 1948 onwards. The last model is avialable from 1989 and has over 200 hp which is quite nice as it can pull two trailers of 7t each (adjustable) @ 80 kph. The earlier models don't reach that speed but can pull the same amount of cargo.
from left to right: unimog from 70s, 50s (two very similiar models) and 90s
from left to right: unimog from 70s, 50s (two very similiar models) and 90s
unimogs.png (35.65 KiB) Viewed 12802 times
I hope they will fit this set well as a compromise between multicar, truck and tractor :)

Also, there is only 1 vehicle left until I've drawn all cars/vans/small trucks of this set, so I can work on the next release soon, which however still needs some polish as well. It will take some time as I'm about to move abroad, though, but it should come this year :P
Attachments
all vehicles so far (work in progress)
all vehicles so far (work in progress)
tech-sheet.png (21.9 KiB) Viewed 12802 times

Return to “Graphics Development”