OpenGFX+ Industries

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Cecil Cityscape
Engineer
Engineer

Re: OpenGFX+ Industries

Post by Cecil Cityscape »

Bravo on this great set :lol: :lol: !! I was wondering if it is possible to have multiple destinations for a cargo enabled. For example, if it would be possible to enable a paper mill and a sawmill for lumber in a climate?
Cecil Cityscape is the name of an avatar in Chris Sawyer's Locomotion
Cheers from the Dominion of Canada! :lol: 8)
MrScruffles
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MrScruffles »

Would it be possible to let a bank generate valuables depending on the diamonds/gold intake?

Same as the factory does goods? Either diamonds deliverd or gold deliverd produces valuables ?
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

MrScruffles wrote:Would it be possible to let a bank generate valuables depending on the diamonds/gold intake?

Same as the factory does goods? Either diamonds deliverd or gold deliverd produces valuables ?
That would be possible with creating a new or replacement bank industry. Since you wrote in a different post that you like to play as vanilla as possible I'm not sure that is the direction where you like to go.

And for creating a new / replacement bank industry you need to have knowlegde of GRF coding or ask someone with that knowlegde for support.
CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CMircea »

Wouldn't it be possible to recode the industry in NML, with the same ID, in order to replace it in-game? Or is replacement of an object defined in another GRF only possible for vehicles?
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

Hello,

I'm currently using version 0.3.5 from Bananas, with the following parameters :
0 1 3 4 1 1 1 1 1 2 3 1 1 2 2 2

I'm playing temperate climate, starting 1925.

I always have two problems :
1/ I get a message saying there is no suitable place for bank.
2/ There is no wood producer. If I ask forests as wood producer it works, but lumber mill doesn't.

1/ What's wrong with the banks ?
2/ Why lumber mill doesn't work in temperate climate ?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

MrScruffles wrote:Would it be possible to let a bank generate valuables depending on the diamonds/gold intake?

That would be possible. The aim was though, to retain the original industry behaviour - but lift the climate restrictions.
MagicBuzz wrote: I'm currently using version 0.3.5 from Bananas, with the following parameters :
0 1 3 4 1 1 1 1 1 2 3 1 1 2 2 2

I'm playing temperate climate, starting 1925.

I always have two problems :
1/ I get a message saying there is no suitable place for bank.
2/ There is no wood producer. If I ask forests as wood producer it works, but lumber mill doesn't.

1/ What's wrong with the banks ?
2/ Why lumber mill doesn't work in temperate climate ?
ad 1) Any other NewGRFs? Banks have many special conditions. Usually they have the default temperate placement requirement which takes the town size (and it must be somewhere in their centre): "The temperate banks never appear on a newly generated map, but spawn during the game (in any year) in towns with 1200 or more population."

ad 2): you mean as in "doesn't produce any wood"?
vrn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by vrn »

MagicBuzz wrote: 2/ There is no wood producer. If I ask forests as wood producer it works, but lumber mill doesn't.
Lumber mills always have to be funded, just like in standard tropical climate.
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

Hello,

Thank you for your answers.

About the banks, no, I have not any newgrf that should change the banks behavior :
- OpenFGX Trains, Roads, Landscape, Airports and... I guess that's all

But you're right, may the banks should open later. But on the newly generated map there are cities with more that 2000 inhabitants, I though that should be sufficient.

And about the lumber mill, that is a behavior I didn't know.
In TTDX, Lumber Mill didn't need to be founded, I'm surprised that must be the case for OTTD.
Cryolaser
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Cryolaser »

MagicBuzz wrote:And about the lumber mill, that is a behavior I didn't know.
In TTDX, Lumber Mill didn't need to be founded, I'm surprised that must be the case for OTTD.
If you use the 'logging camp' GRF (available from ingame online content) with OpenGFX+ Industries set to use lumber mills, you'll have what are effectively naturally spawning lumber mills.
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

I think you're mixing up the Sawmill and the Lumber Mill.
  • The Sawmill is a temperate industry that accepts Wood and produces Goods.
  • The Lumber Mill is a subtropical industry, which indeed must be funded by a player, and produces Wood by cutting the rainforest trees around.
The "OpenGFX+ Industries" parameter you mention only replaces the Forest with the subtropical Lumber Mill. If you chose the Lumber Mill as Wood producer, you'll have to fund it and replant trees from time to time.
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

arikover wrote:
I think you're mixing up the Sawmill and the Lumber Mill.
  • The Sawmill is a temperate industry that accepts Wood and produces Goods.
  • The Lumber Mill is a subtropical industry, which indeed must be funded by a player, and produces Wood by cutting the rainforest trees around.
The "OpenGFX+ Industries" parameter you mention only replaces the Forest with the subtropical Lumber Mill. If you chose the Lumber Mill as Wood producer, you'll have to fund it and replant trees from time to time.
I'm not mixing anything.

In TTDX, I'm 99% sure the lumber mill, in sub trocipal climate, don't need to be funded. I'm even almost sure you can't found industries in TTDX.
And thus, OTTD sub tropical doesn't look at all at the TTDX one.
In OTTD desert is everywhere where there is no sea/lake, and forest only arround water.
In TTDX desert is 50% of the map, and is mostly flat, while the forest is the other 50% part of the map, mostly mountainous. No any relation with sea/lakes.
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

MagicBuzz wrote:I'm not mixing anything.

In TTDX, I'm 99% sure the lumber mill, in sub trocipal climate, don't need to be funded. I'm even almost sure you can't found industries in TTDX.
Oh, you were talking about TTDX. My answer is totally irrelevant then, because I never played TTDX. Sorry about that.
MagicBuzz wrote:And thus, OTTD sub tropical doesn't look at all at the TTDX one.
In OTTD desert is everywhere where there is no sea/lake, and forest only arround water.
In TTDX desert is 50% of the map, and is mostly flat, while the forest is the other 50% part of the map, mostly mountainous. No any relation with sea/lakes.
In OTTD, trees grow on high mountains as well as near water.
You can have a TTDX-flavoured tropical map in OTTD if you use the original land generator instead of TerraGenesis. But you will have to fund the Lumber Mills.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

MagicBuzz wrote:I'm not mixing anything.
You're certainly misremembering though. You absolutely could fund new industries in TTDX, and the lumber mill did not spawn naturally. Per page 46 of the manual, which you can easily find online:
Rainforest areas are very expensive to clear, but can be cleared for profit by funding a lumber mill.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Wow, thank you Pikka for that dig in ye ancient manuals! :) I was wondering already whether there was lurking something old and ancient, bug or not.

What I take from this discussion is, to consider a switch to allow lumber mills being built upon game start as well (it makes sense to have MagicBuzz' expectation IMHO, espially for a NewGRF)
Skarfester
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Skarfester »

Digitalfox wrote: 17 Jun 2014 21:21 I love this GRF so much :)

But two things, since I'm using 32bpp graphics is a bit of a shame that it changes the Iron Mine and the Farm to the OpenGFX graphics, the other Industries still maintain the 32bpp Graphics of Zbase.
I edited the nml file (latest v6945) deleting all references to sprite replacement so it uses default graphics, making it compatible with a/zbase 32bpp. The animations for the oil well, diamond mine and forest are lost though. The store sprite is kept because there is no equivalent in Vanilla industries.
Attachments
ogfx-industries32bpp.grf
OpenGFX+ Industries for use with 32bpp
(296.46 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Skarfester wrote: 24 Feb 2023 03:00 I edited the nml file (latest v6945) deleting all references to sprite replacement so it uses default graphics, making it compatible with a/zbase 32bpp. The animations for the oil well, diamond mine and forest are lost though. The store sprite is kept because there is no equivalent in Vanilla industries.
If you bundled it with the original license and a modified readme and changelog file, this would be an awesome edition to the in-game content download service.
Skarfester
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Skarfester »

kamnet wrote: 24 Feb 2023 05:02 If you bundled it with the original license and a modified readme and changelog file, this would be an awesome edition to the in-game content download service.
Indeed. Right now it's just a quick and dirty fix, but with proper coding and a 32bpp sprite for the shop it could be a nice adition.

Return to “Graphics Releases”