Iron Horse "Quicksilver" Add-On

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Iron Horse "Quicksilver" Add-On

Post by SimYouLater »

With Pikkabird's blessing, I will be posting the source code here.

Meant to be used with the Iron Horse set, which does not and will not have a streamlined train of it's own.

ORIGINAL POST BELOW!
acs121 wrote:
PikkaBird wrote:
SimYouLater wrote:if Pikkabird is willing to lend me their sprites from UKRS1 I'd gladly edit them for you.
Andy has access to the UKRS2 sprites, and anyone else is welcome to modify them too. But I think you'd be better off starting from scratch, and trying to match the style of the existing IH big locos.
acs121 wrote:UK actually had a lot of streamliners
Ten LMS Coronations; two LNER B17s, six P2s and 35 A4s; 30 SR Merchant Navies and 110 Light Pacifics. And a few oddities like the W1 and GWR 6014.

Notable takeaways: more than 2/3rds of British streamliners were Bulleid's "air-smoothed" Pacifics, and only a dozen weren't either Bulleid or Gresley designs. On the other hand, the Gresley A4s were the only class that weren't substantially rebuilt to remove their casings later in life. So a "representative" streamliner really has to be based on either the A4 or the Bulleid Pacifics.
acs121 wrote:Typical british steam locomotives other than the streamliners would be the Gresley A3, the Stanier Crab or the 8P.
There's the voice of someone who learned all he knows from Transport Tycoon. ;)
Counting all streamliners you cited, it's 160 streamliners in total.
The PLM only had 6 streamliners. That's not very much for a country that is three times bigger than Great Britain.

For the british steamers, i don't know much, i could have cited the Tram Engine from UKRS2 though.
Access to UKRS2, but I was thinking UKRS1... I was thinking of combining the A4 and Wardale 604 graphics, but I guess you feel they're not a good fit for this set? At the very least, it would be nice if I could combine it with UKRS1 and not have alignment issues.
Attachments
qs6.0src.zip
v6.0, includes GRF and Source Code!
(182.09 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
IHAddon7_1src.zip
v7.1, includes license and source code.
(377.29 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
ihq77src.7z
v7.7, includes license and source code.
(320.92 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Last edited by SimYouLater on 23 Oct 2019 01:20, edited 41 times in total.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: "Iron Horse" - A modular train set based slightly in reality

Post by acs121 »

SimYouLater wrote:
acs121 wrote:
PikkaBird wrote: Andy has access to the UKRS2 sprites, and anyone else is welcome to modify them too. But I think you'd be better off starting from scratch, and trying to match the style of the existing IH big locos.

Ten LMS Coronations; two LNER B17s, six P2s and 35 A4s; 30 SR Merchant Navies and 110 Light Pacifics. And a few oddities like the W1 and GWR 6014.

Notable takeaways: more than 2/3rds of British streamliners were Bulleid's "air-smoothed" Pacifics, and only a dozen weren't either Bulleid or Gresley designs. On the other hand, the Gresley A4s were the only class that weren't substantially rebuilt to remove their casings later in life. So a "representative" streamliner really has to be based on either the A4 or the Bulleid Pacifics.

There's the voice of someone who learned all he knows from Transport Tycoon. ;)
Counting all streamliners you cited, it's 160 streamliners in total.
The PLM only had 6 streamliners. That's not very much for a country that is three times bigger than Great Britain.

For the british steamers, i don't know much, i could have cited the Tram Engine from UKRS2 though.
Access to UKRS2... I was thinking of combining the A4 and Wardale 604 graphics, but I guess you feel they're not a good fit for this set? At the very least, it would be nice if I could combine it with UKRS1 and not have alignment issues.
You can simply use GRFWizard to have the sprites directly though. IIRC UKRS is GPL v2 (maybe higher), so you just need to cite Pikka for the graphics.
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

Check your license! All UKRS's'ss are released with all rights reserved
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re:

Post by SimYouLater »

Gwyd wrote:Check your license! All UKRS's'ss are released with all rights reserved
How does All Rights Reserved work?
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

Basically, Pikka reserves all rights to modify, redistribute etc his software.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re:

Post by acs121 »

Gwyd wrote:Basically, Pikka reserves all rights to modify, redistribute etc his software.
Then you just need to cite him.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Re:

Post by andythenorth »

Please don't make guesses at licenses. It can cause boring forum dramas. It's easy to check the facts.
UKRS2-license.png
UKRS2-license.png (150.56 KiB) Viewed 10745 times
acs121 wrote:Then you just need to cite him.
No that's quite wrong. Please don't spread this misinformation. :roll:

"All rights reserved" means that nobody can use Pikka's sprites without express permission.

Usually, if people ask nicely, Pikka will give permission. But Pikka can also speak for himself on this. ;)
SimYouLater wrote:I was thinking of combining the A4 and Wardale 604 graphics, but I guess you feel they're not a good fit for this set? At the very least, it would be nice if I could combine it with UKRS1 and not have alignment issues.
I won't include streamliners in UK Horse. It would be a nice grf to make for yourself though. It's fun to make your own things :)
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

All rights reserved means that without express written consent it is not allowed to use the copyrighted material in any way, this includes adaptation for personal use
Keep up, Gwyd
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

acs121 wrote:
Gwyd wrote:Basically, Pikka reserves all rights to modify, redistribute etc his software.
Then you just need to cite him.
I want to be absolutely sure I'm doing this right. I've just done up the sprites (easy when most of the work is already done) for what I'm calling "Silver Streak", but I need to know Pikkabird is going to be okay with it before I post the sprites here.

Gwyd, is acs121 right about citations? I cited him with a "Credits to Pikkabird" on the sprite sheet.
Licenses for my work...
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

ACS is completely wrong. It could be considered you breaking the law of you posted it! I'd go check with pikka if he's happy or not.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re:

Post by SimYouLater »

Gwyd wrote:ACS is completely wrong. It could be considered you breaking the law of you posted it! I'd go check with pikka if he's happy or not.
Don't worry, I haven't posted it anywhere. Thanks for letting me know, though. I've PM'd Pikkabird with a copy of the graphics, but they will not be put anywhere else on the forum.
Licenses for my work...
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re:

Post by acs121 »

Gwyd wrote:ACS is completely wrong. It could be considered you breaking the law of you posted it! I'd go check with pikka if he's happy or not.
Somewhat i'm not completely wrong. You NEED to cite the original author of the graphics. It is an obligation.
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Erato »

acs121 wrote:
Somewhat i'm not completely wrong. You NEED to cite the original author of the graphics. It is an obligation.
If I, the copyright holder give you express written consent to publish without giving credit, then you don't have to give credit. The copyright holder can demand anything in order to allow you to use their work. This does not have to include giving credit.
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Dave

Re: Iron Horse license chatter

Post by Dave »

I’m really not best pleased about this discussion for reasons discussed in the IH thread, and will be drawing Pikka’s attention to it.

If you have a query about the conditions under which Pikka has granted you permission to use his sprites, you should speak to him privately.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Dave wrote:I’m really not best pleased about this discussion for reasons discussed in the IH thread, and will be drawing Pikka’s attention to it.

If you have a query about the conditions under which Pikka has granted you permission to use his sprites, you should speak to him privately.
I absolutely, positively did not post the edited graphics anywhere, and have PM'd Pikkabird about whether he is okay with my altered sprites before doing anything more than discuss the graphics I made.

I respect licenses, even though I have pointed out in the past that I don't like them. Please don't throw a fit over rules when no rules have been broken, again the graphics are only on my computer and in the PM I sent to Pikkabird, no one else has access to a copy and it will stay that unless and until Pikkabird gives the okay.
Licenses for my work...
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Funny thing about licenses ... We tend to forget about copyright which rests with the originator until his/her dying day, unless s/he transfers the copyright to another party. Barring transfer, the originator grants a privilege that is set out in a license. Always read the license. It might not be what you think it is. On a related note, GPL does not require attribution, but it does encourage it, and irregardless, it is a simple matter of common courtesy to cite attribution. The originator will appreciate the recognition and the knowledge that somebody else is sufficiently impressed with the originator's works that s/he would themselves like to work with it. 8)
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

I'm generally happy for anyone to use my older graphics as a base for their own OpenTTD sprite work. This includes UKRS1 and 2, NARS2 and Av8. NARS2 contains a lot of work from DanMacK, who has given similar general permission in the past. UKRS1 may contain elements from the original TTD sprites - how you deal with that is up to you.

I generally avoid legalese licences like GPL because, honestly, no-one's suing anyone over OpenTTD sprites, and as this thread aptly demonstrates most community members don't understand them anyway. For such a small community as ours, implied licencing and open discussion is fine. But I know a lot of people find GPL a convenient default, so including sprites or code derived from mine in GPL sets is fine.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: Iron Horse "Silver Streak" Add-On

Post by SimYouLater »

Anyone up for coding it?
Licenses for my work...
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

SimYouLater wrote:Anyone up for coding it?
Don't see why not, shouldn't be too hard. Although I don't have much time at the moment: it'll be slow.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Gwyd wrote:
SimYouLater wrote:Anyone up for coding it?
Don't see why not, shouldn't be too hard. Although I don't have much time at the moment: it'll be slow.
Fair enough. I'm looking into it myself but I'm not seeing anything useful in the NML Tutorial.
Licenses for my work...

Return to “Graphics Development”