NotRoadTypes

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: NotRoadTypes

Post by acs121 »

STD wrote:
Wolf01 wrote:
STD wrote:When auto-updating of trams and trolleybuses, a message is issued: update failure (insufficient money).
You should check what's the autoreplace money limit you set on the settings, not the cost of a single vehicle.

Also thank you for the testing you are doing :)
Thanks for the help! I checked and changed the parameter. This time the replacement was successful. Until the new problems I have not noticed. If anything, I would tell you in this thread :) .

I hope that soon new types of roads will appear in the trunk. I have big plans for the gameplay will be implemented, if this happens. Although I will still play on this special version of the game, where there is everything I need for a more interesting gameplay :)

Ideally, I would like to see new road types in any of the existing patchpacks :wink: .
While four road / tram types are present by default, OpenTTD doesn't provide any vehicle for them in the baseset.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

acs121 wrote:While four road / tram types are present by default, OpenTTD doesn't provide any vehicle for them in the baseset.
It doesn't have to provide new vehicles. The existing default vehicles will run just fine on the default road/tram types.

OpenTTD trunk merely has to provide the code which will support the creation of new GRFs that will feature new road/tram types and new rv/trams that are to be restricted by any newly created road/tram types. 8)
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

wallyweb wrote:
acs121 wrote:While four road / tram types are present by default, OpenTTD doesn't provide any vehicle for them in the baseset.
It doesn't have to provide new vehicles. The existing default vehicles will run just fine on the default road/tram types.

OpenTTD trunk merely has to provide the code which will support the creation of new GRFs that will feature new road/tram types and new rv/trams that are to be restricted by any newly created road/tram types. 8)
No, i mean, by default, OpenTTD doesn't provide any tramway vehicle or ELRD vehicle.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

acs121 wrote:
wallyweb wrote:No, i mean, by default, OpenTTD doesn't provide any tramway vehicle or ELRD vehicle.
No problem. Current RV/Tram set GRFs that were created before road types were available will function just fine. 8)

If I understand the new specifications properly, someone would finally be able to create a trolley bus for the ELRD type which is not now supported by trunk. 8)
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

wallyweb wrote:If I understand the new specifications properly, someone would finally be able to create a trolley bus for the ELRD type which is not now supported by trunk. 8)
Already done ;) viewtopic.php?f=67&t=75963

Not sure exactly which labels supermop used, but eh, trolleybuses ;)
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

wallyweb wrote:
acs121 wrote:
wallyweb wrote:No, i mean, by default, OpenTTD doesn't provide any tramway vehicle or ELRD vehicle.
No problem. Current RV/Tram set GRFs that were created before road types were available will function just fine. 8)

If I understand the new specifications properly, someone would finally be able to create a trolley bus for the ELRD type which is not now supported by trunk. 8)
Tramways are a part of base graphics, but they don't have any vehicle provided in the baseset. It's what i'm trying to explain !
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

acs121 wrote:
wallyweb wrote:
acs121 wrote:

Tramways are a part of base graphics, but they don't have any vehicle provided in the baseset. It's what i'm trying to explain !
You didn't have to explain it. Not only is this universally known, nobody even questioned it or brought it up.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

kamnet wrote:
acs121 wrote:
wallyweb wrote:No problem. Current RV/Tram set GRFs that were created before road types were available will function just fine. 8)

You didn't have to explain it. Not only is this universally known, nobody even questioned it or brought it up.
No, what i'm trying to say to STD is that new road types surely won't be added into trunk, and vehicles will stay the same.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

There seems to be some confusion as to exactly what NRT does and how it will be implemented in Trunk if the Trunk developers/maintainers decide to accept it.

We all know that NRT is a developmental platform that introduces road and tram types to the OpenTTD community. At the moment, the concept is still in the development stage and is not yet ready for trunk.

A note on OpenTTD and features: OpenTTD does not implement the features. OpenTTD doesn't provide any tramway vehicle or ELRD vehicle and it never will. It merely provides the platform that supports the features. There is an instruction to artists and coders on how to access OpenTTD's feature support. It is called "NewGRF Specifications".

A group of artists and coders have provided a basic set of features that are distributed with OpenTTD. They are called basesets. There are two of them: OpenGFX and original-windows. Both basesets are composed of GRFs. OpenTTD will work just fine without them but then the player will have to provide his/her own GRF sets.

If and when NRT is accepted into OpenTTD trunk, it will NOT provide vehicles. This will be the function of the baseset maintainers. Agreed that OpenGFX does not provide trams, but there are GRFs available that do provide trams. Note that OpenGFX+Road Vehicles includes trams. Hopefully it will add some very basic trolley buses.

Meanwhile, as noted by andythenorth, we already have independently authored NRT supported vehicle GRF sets, one of which (by supermop) does include trolley buses.

I hope this clears up any questions. If I missed or misrepresented anything, please post it below.
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

Thank you for more detailed explanations on this issue :D .
So I'm going to talk now based on all the reading the above - we look forward to adding to the trunk of the game add-ons or platforms, which will expand gameplay opportunities, including adding new types of road and tram roads, new transport sets for them :wink: .
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
KeldorKatarn
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by KeldorKatarn »

STD wrote:Ideally, I would like to see new road types in any of the existing patchpacks :wink: .
As was already mentioned, NRT doesn't add anything but the feature itself. To have the road types and vehicles that run on them available, NewGRFs need to be created. Nobody will create such for specific patch packs. And even if they did, we'd run the risk to be later incompatible with the same feature, done slightly different in trunk.

Features like this only make sense when put into every version at the same time and in the identical way, so when NewGRFs are created they work everywhere.
So don't expect either me or JGR to integrate this before it's in trunk. it wouldn't make any sense. And that's coming from someone that would like to have this tomorrow.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

I think the mentioned "new road types" as the RATT patch and not the feature.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Here's a question: What happens when two (2) road types intersect? Which one gets the priority in properties? First built or last built? Logic tells me that last built will override first built. Is this correct? Will we see "Hog squish beetle" news reports?
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

wallyweb wrote:Here's a question: What happens when two (2) road types intersect
They don't intersect :) Simples ;)

(They don't intersect on the same tile, for avoidance of confusion)
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

andythenorth wrote:
wallyweb wrote:Here's a question: What happens when two (2) road types intersect
They don't intersect :) Simples ;)

(They don't intersect on the same tile, for avoidance of confusion)
Considering I forgot to suggest that NRT should have roundabouts, so for the sake of freedom of confusion I hope you mean that tile Hog sits atop tile beetle, unless of course tile beetle sits atop tile Hog, which by the laws of the universe and physics and geometry would form intersection Hog on beetle for the former or conversely intersection beetle on Hog for the later, or will the game mechanics be obsessively obnoxiously in denial and disallow one or the other?
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

andythenorth wrote:There's one roadtype per tile.
Ok ... So if I grab the Hog road tool and drag it along a beetle road, the beetle road will be forcibly converted to the Hog road persuasion without a word in protest. :?: No need to run the beetle road through a pre-wash cycle with Nobel's favoutite tool? :?:
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

wallyweb wrote:
andythenorth wrote:There's one roadtype per tile.
Ok ... So if I grab the Hog road tool and drag it along a beetle road, the beetle road will be forcibly converted to the Hog road persuasion without a word in protest. :?: No need to run the beetle road through a pre-wash cycle with Nobel's favoutite tool? :?:
NRT handles this reasonably well now, though I forget how exactly. I suggest starting up a new game with unspooled and playing around with it.
andythenorth wrote:
wallyweb wrote:If I understand the new specifications properly, someone would finally be able to create a trolley bus for the ELRD type which is not now supported by trunk. 8)
Already done ;) viewtopic.php?f=67&t=75963

Not sure exactly which labels supermop used, but eh, trolleybuses ;)
For the record, I did use ELRD for trolley buses.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

wallyweb wrote:Ok ... So if I grab the Hog road tool and drag it along a beetle road, the beetle road will be forcibly converted to the Hog road persuasion without a word in protest.
No, you can't overbuild roadtypes on a tile that already has a roadtype. The convert tool is provided for that ;)
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

andythenorth wrote:The convert tool is provided for that ;)
:mrgreen: :bow:

Return to “OpenTTD Development”