OTTD 1.8.0 doesn't work!

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Transporter
Engineer
Engineer

OTTD 1.8.0 doesn't work!

Post by Transporter »

Hi,

Some minutes ago I tried to update OTTD 1.7.2 to 1.8.0 the way I always updated OTTD but when I wanted to start I only saw this:

"ERROR - No available language packs (invalid versions?)" then starting process aborted.

Doesn't work it no longer with Win 8.1???

Now I downgraded OTTD to 1.7.2 ... :(

Transporter
Last edited by Transporter on 13 Apr 2018 14:28, edited 1 time in total.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Re: OTTD 1.8.0 only for Win 10???

Post by PikkaBird »

Transporter wrote:the way I always updated OTTD
Ahh, the QA flashbacks. "It usually works" isn't a useful error report without defining what "it" is, and deciding that a launch error means your OS is no longer supported is quite a deductive leap.

Anyway, if all you did is compile the exe and drop it into an older OpenTTD install, the translations in the /lang folder are out of date. You need to update those too.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I've run OpenTTD on Windows 98SE machines. With mostly success, if OpenTTD has one thing going for it, its relatively good with supporting old OS's. I'm not sure how deep down they go in Linux versions, but certainly Windows goes all the way to times of yonder.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Transporter wrote:Hi,

Some minutes ago I tried to update OTTD 1.7.2 to 1.8.0 the way I always updated OTTD but when I wanted to start I only saw this:

"ERROR - No available language packs (invalid versions?)" then starting process aborted.

Doesn't work it no longer with Win 8.1???

Now I downgraded OTTD to 1.7.2 ... :(

Transporter
If you

I'm on Windows 10 and the 64 bit version of 1.8.0 works just fine.

I keep a separate folder for each version of OpenTTD I have in case I need an old version for older patch packs. So I have a Install folder for 1.6.1, 1.7.2, and 1.8.0 for the STable versions.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

[quote="Transporter"]Some minutes ago I tried to update OTTD 1.7.2 to 1.8.0 the way I always updated.../quote]

What is the way that you always updated?
Transporter
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Transporter »

What is the way that you always updated?[/quote]

Unzip the game in my OTTD folder, replace all files WinZip wants to replace.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Transporter wrote:
Kamnet wrote:What is the way that you always updated?
I'm going to guess that either the new language packs did not get unzipped, or got corrupted. I would try deleting the /lang/ folder and unpacking it again.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Transporter wrote:What is the way that you always updated?

Unzip the game in my OTTD folder, replace all files WinZip wants to replace.[/quote]

Its not really a good idea to do it that way because you can sometimes run into issues. Its best to just remove all the files in the folder and unzip the files from the new version into that folder.

Even better is just using separate folders for each version of OpenTTD (it might be a good idea to keep an older version around at least for a little while incase the new version has some bug(s) that break the game for you)
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Transporter wrote:
kamet wrote:What is the way that you always updated?
Never a good way to update.

Completely delete the old installation, then unzip.

Or just unzip it somewhere else - OpenTTD always looks for the OpenTTD folder in the Documents folder, your saves and NewGRFs and AIs and so on should be good.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

Why not just use the installer and just point it to a separate directory?
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

peter1138 wrote:Why not just use the installer and just point it to a separate directory?
There really isn't any point after you've installed OpenTTD once with all the graphics and what not, its fiarly quick if your good with computers to just make a new folder and unzip the contents to that folder.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

NekoMaster wrote:its fiarly quick if your good with computers to just make a new folder and unzip the contents to that folder.
Apparently not quicker when you apparently do it wrong, decide OpenTTD doesn't work on your OS any more, and then make a forum post about it, wait for a response, etc. I'd just run the installer myself.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
Transporter
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Transporter »

I update this way to keep my savegames and newgfx and so on. It always worked with no problems. Also downgrading works so that I furthermore can play OTTD 1.7.2 as 1.8.0 not works.

!!! BUT !!!

I unzipped OTTD in a new folder for a test and it also doesn't work. So I will wait for 1.9.0. OTTD 1.7.2 is a nice game, too.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Transporter wrote:I update this way to keep my savegames and newgfx and so on. It always worked with no problems. Also downgrading works so that I furthermore can play OTTD 1.7.2 as 1.8.0 not works.

!!! BUT !!!

I unzipped OTTD in a new folder for a test and it also doesn't work. So I will wait for 1.9.0. OTTD 1.7.2 is a nice game, too.
What isn't working when you run 1.8.0 on Windows 10? its working just fine for me with no issues.

Also your saves and newGRF's end up in your "Documents/OpenTTD" folder (unless you've made a portable install by putting your openttd.cfg configuration file in the same folder with the EXE)
You should't loose anything if your OpenTTD folder and its contents remains in your Documents folder.

Its very much possible your doing something wrong here if OpenTTD 1.8.0 isn't working for you (Plus it was designed to incorperate a fix for the right mouse button since the latest updates to WIndows 10 broke right mouse scrolling on older versions)
kamnet

Re: OTTD 1.8.0 doesn't work!

Post by kamnet »

If my suggested correction did not resolve the problem, then your installation is likely corrupted. At this point, I would suggest you remove everything except your newgrf, scenario and savegame folders, back up your openttd.cfg file, and then reinstall using the installer program. Waiting a year for OpenTTD 1.9.0 isn't going to fix your problem, and likely will make it worse.
Transporter
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Transporter »

What isn't working when you run 1.8.0 on Windows 10? (NekoMaster)

Please read my first post!
Transporter
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Transporter »

kamnet wrote:If my suggested correction did not resolve the problem, then your installation is likely corrupted. At this point, I would suggest you remove everything except your newgrf, scenario and savegame folders, back up your openttd.cfg file, and then reinstall using the installer program. Waiting a year for OpenTTD 1.9.0 isn't going to fix your problem, and likely will make it worse.

When 1.8.0 doesn't work as a new installation in a new folder, what helps except of waiting for the next version?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Transporter wrote:
kamnet wrote:If my suggested correction did not resolve the problem, then your installation is likely corrupted. At this point, I would suggest you remove everything except your newgrf, scenario and savegame folders, back up your openttd.cfg file, and then reinstall using the installer program. Waiting a year for OpenTTD 1.9.0 isn't going to fix your problem, and likely will make it worse.

When 1.8.0 doesn't work as a new installation in a new folder, what helps except of waiting for the next version?
Well, let's take a step back and try do diagnose what's going on. Start with using Windows to do a complete uninstall of OpenTTD. Verify that all files and folders are removed. Then I'd suggest using a program to clean up your registry just to make sure you're not going to encounter any problems.

After this, run the OpenTTD installer, then try to run the game again. If you encounter any errors, document them and report them here. If any crash files were created, copy them and upload them here as well.
dadyo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dadyo »

I found this thread as I was having 'No available language pack (invalid versions?)' error also after upgrading OpenTTD from 1.7.2 to 1.8.0 on Win 10 today. I'm using the installer .exe for upgrading and that has worked always.

The error is not about the *older* outdated language pack, these where all from April 1st, so v1.8.0. But openttd.exe itself was older (the 1.7.2 from Dec.'17 was still in de folder).
'Invalid versions' is the correct statement in the error, but it reads a little bit as if the language pack is the cause.

How to reproduce: Keep OpenTTD v1.7.2 running as you are installing the new version with the installer. It updates almost everything, but not the openttd.exe (and doesn't warn for that).
Stopping OpenTTD and installing 1.8.0 again fixes the problem.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

I'm fairly sure every installer in the history of installers told you to quit all running programs before continuing

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”