One-Way Roads -- What's The Point?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

srschacher
Engineer
Engineer

One-Way Roads -- What's The Point?

Post by srschacher »

Hi.

I noticed that with regular roads, faster trucks will pass slower ones as long as there is no oncoming traffic. All traffic stops behind a broken-down vehicle.

I recently began playing with one-way roads. I was thinking that by creating some multi-lane highways, my vehicles would be smart enough to change lanes to pass a broken-down vehicle. This doesn't seem to be the case.

I currently don't have vehicles of different speeds using the highways, so I haven't seen vehicles passing vehicles, but I'm guessing that this behavior still happens?

Is the only benefit of one-way roads that vehicles can pass without worrying about oncoming traffic? They still back up behind a break-down?

Thanks,
Steve
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: One-Way Roads -- What's The Point?

Post by acs121 »

Naturally, RVs will not pass broken down vehicles.
srschacher
Engineer
Engineer

Post by srschacher »

acs121 wrote:Naturally, RVs will not pass broken down vehicles.
Even on two-lane roads? Why have two lanes, then?

Steve
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

srschacher wrote:
acs121 wrote:Naturally, RVs will not pass broken down vehicles.
Even on two-lane roads? Why have two lanes, then?

Steve
Because faster vehicles can then pass at any time slower ones.
You can also simply disable or reduce breakdowns in the advanced settings.
srschacher
Engineer
Engineer

Post by srschacher »

Okay, so you are confirming that the only advantage to two lane roads is free passing because of no oncoming traffic. Vehicles will not pass a stopped vehicle, only a slower vehicle (where zero speed is not considered slower).

I don't want to disable break-downs because I want that randomness in my game. I just thought that a zero speed vehicle would still be treated as "slower."

Steve
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

You can still reduce them in the advanced parameters. Personally, i highly disreccomend enabling it.
srschacher
Engineer
Engineer

Post by srschacher »

I get it... you don't like break-downs.

That side-steps my question of my topic; do you think vehicles should be allowed to pass a zero speed vehicle, or just > 0 speed vehicles on one-way roads?

Steve
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

It's a long-known issue with the pathfinder code. Vehicles look one space ahead before deciding if they need to move over another tile to pass. But when the vehicle in front of them stops, they don't have enough time to decide if they need to move, so they also get stopped.

There is also the long-known issue that articulated vehicles cannot pass, in part due to the same issue as above.

Developers have been working on the issue for a few years, but no satisfactory solution has yet appeared.
srschacher
Engineer
Engineer

Post by srschacher »

Thank you, kamnet. That answers my question.

Also, I am using articulated vehicles, so that also explains it.

Steve
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Just try to find the best solution, sometimes non-articulated is way better than articulated.
srschacher
Engineer
Engineer

Post by srschacher »

acs121 wrote:Just try to find the best solution, sometimes non-articulated is way better than articulated.
Yes, I'm trying to trade offf speed, capacity, and reliability vs running cost.

Steve
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

You can let slow, articulated trucks and swift, non-articulated ones share the same roads. The eGRVTS truck set provides a nice and well-balanced mixture of both. Mixing those with fast and articulated trucks like Road Hog's is generally not a good idea.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

leifbk wrote:You can let slow, articulated trucks and swift, non-articulated ones share the same roads. The eGRVTS truck set provides a nice and well-balanced mixture of both. Mixing those with fast and articulated trucks like Road Hog's is generally not a good idea.
This, however, is true. The first tank bi-articulated truck is in 1960, and it only goes at 48 kph. Compared to that, the non-articulated tank truck you have in 1960 has been introduced 6 years ago, and can go at 72 kph. Choose between capacity and speed.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I use one-way roads for eyecandy more than anything. It "feels" nicer to have a highway if there are lots of RVs going between two larger metropolitan areas.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

srschacher wrote:I get it... you don't like break-downs.

That side-steps my question of my topic; do you think vehicles should be allowed to pass a zero speed vehicle, or just > 0 speed vehicles on one-way roads?

Steve
Vehicles during breakdown are not considered as 0 speed. Vehicles on one-way roads wil pass a vehicle if it is going slower. Note that trams cannot pass other ones.
However, you can do a little experimentation :
1. Install two NewGRF road vehicle sets.
2. Build some, and get them on the roads.
3. Pause the game, and type in console "set newgrf_developer_tools 1". Go in NewGRF parameters, and remove one of the GRFs. Click on applicate changes.
4. You'll note vehicles will have taken a weird texture, and their speed will be 0 kph / mph.
5. Unpause. You'll see that because the vehicle speed is 0, and that the vehicles from the other set have a speed of > 0, they will pass other ones.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

It's sometimes advantageous to build large RV stations with one-way roads to prevent jams.
Let's see if I can find something in my screenshot collection ... well, here's an how-NOT-to-example:
Staufertransporte, 11. Jan 1945#1.png
Staufertransporte, 11. Jan 1945#1.png (125.86 KiB) Viewed 5795 times
Due to path-finding stupidity and full-load orders the vehicle pile up back into the main road causing a huge jam. Now I had for example a second entrance where the brown building is and made both one way, I could make the "upper" one "entry" and the lower one "exit", so IF there's some backlog of vehicles they'd have more space to not jam back into the main street ^^

Of course, there's other way to prevent/avoid this sort of thing so it's not really anything that's all that useful. But it's about the only legitimate use I can think of aside from decorative purposes and other whims ;)
jules
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jules »

I've used them before to achieve a ro-ro station style system (using the road side style stops). Not sure if it is actually beneficial though.
There is no ?
srschacher
Engineer
Engineer

Post by srschacher »

Thank you all for the replies. This is very instructive.

Steve
bear1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bear1 »

They can occasionally be helpful to avoid a queue backing up a junction/main road and for menacing my competitors.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Menace competitors ? How ?

Return to “General OpenTTD”