Server Running but people cant connect

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

CaptainLykaios
Engineer
Engineer

Server Running but people cant connect

Post by CaptainLykaios »

I have a server running with all of the ports forwarded, both UDP and TCP (3979 & 3978) on both of my Firewall and my router.
Yet people get the 1/6 Connecting... then ("The server didn't answer the request")
I have no idea what to do about it, theres little help online.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Server Running but people cant connect

Post by Redirect Left »

I've only ever got this error when a firewall was blocking the software, or when the ports were not actually open in BOTH directions (or at all).

Double check it's all setup correctly.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
CaptainLykaios
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CaptainLykaios »

Redirect Left wrote:I've only ever got this error when a firewall was blocking the software, or when the ports were not actually open in BOTH directions (or at all).

Double check it's all setup correctly.
I've checked the setup so many times before, I've got the ports open but still cant get it to work.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Can you check with; https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

I find it a reliable way of double checking that the port is open, and accessible from the outside world - as this will try to harmlessly check if that port is accessible.

If not already, check the server.cfg and ensure 'server_bind_ip' is = 0.0.0.0 (ignore IPs, and connect to any - i don't know what the default is if this is not present, assumably 0.0.0.0)
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
CaptainLykaios
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CaptainLykaios »

Redirect Left wrote:Can you check with; https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

I find it a reliable way of double checking that the port is open, and accessible from the outside world - as this will try to harmlessly check if that port is accessible.

If not already, check the server.cfg and ensure 'server_bind_ip' is = 0.0.0.0 (ignore IPs, and connect to any - i don't know what the default is if this is not present, assumably 0.0.0.0)
It says that the port is closed, I have no idea why. I've done the router and the firewall port forwarding like I have done before.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

CaptainLykaios wrote:
Redirect Left wrote:Can you check with; https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

It says that the port is closed, I have no idea why. I've done the router and the firewall port forwarding like I have done before.
Ive having this problem too. Who is your ISP iut if interest?
CaptainLykaios
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CaptainLykaios »

Leanden wrote:
CaptainLykaios wrote:

Ive having this problem too. Who is your ISP iut if interest?

I'm with EE
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Finally solved my issue today.

I added port forwarding rules directly into Windows Firewall inbound and outbound for UDP and TCP ports 3977-3979 and also switched off the IPv6 Firewall on my router.

Problem solved.
CaptainLykaios
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CaptainLykaios »

I've solved my problem, turns out the McAfee anti-virus was blocking the connection since it controlled the firewall even though I opened the port through the firewall. I turned McAfee off and got AVG, its all fine now.
Strawbs89
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Strawbs89 »

still can't connect and i'm getting no help i have a sky106 router my ipv4 is 192.168.1.4
i have done all that in my router and my firewall and when i got to check still closed
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Strawbs89 wrote:still can't connect and i'm getting no help i have a sky106 router my ipv4 is 192.168.1.4
i have done all that in my router and my firewall and when i got to check still closed
So, 192.168.1.4 is an internal address, it is the address of your computer on your local network, where 192.168.0.1 (or 127.0.0.1) is usually your main router, modem or hub

To find out your external IP, the quickest way of doing so is visit https://www.whatismyip.com/ - this will tell you what the external address (what the world sees your computer as) is. This is what you need to use to connect to a server. The local IP (the 192.18[...]) will only work if the other computer is connecting from the same (local) network. Your friends will need to connect using the public IPv4 address, not the local IP address, IPv6 i think also works with OpenTTD, if your ISP supports it.

If this doesn't work, the following are the likely causes:
OpenTTD is running in client mode, you haven't started a server / multiplayer session.
The ports are not forwarded at all.
The ports are not forwarded in both directions, or they're only open to UDP or TCP data, i believe they need to be open to both.
The port is being forwarded internally to the wrong address / computer, internally the port needs to be forwarded to the computer at 192.168.1.4 (you've previously said this is your computer). All computers on your network will have the same public address, the router needs to be told which of the computers is the right computer to forward the data to.
Strawbs89
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Strawbs89 »

Well I’ve looked on that site you gave me
And this is my ip 2.120.252.133 and I’ve forwarded 192.168.1.4
In my router on ports 3979 and 3977 but when I go to canyouseeme.org
It’s always saying port closed
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Can you post a screenshot of the router page for port forwarding with the ports forwarded? Just so we can see if anything obviously is wrong with it. You can either attach it to the post using attachments, or upload it to an image host

Hopefully this will eliminate any issues with erroneous forwarding and we can look at other issues.
Strawbs89
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Strawbs89 »

attached is the 4 screenshots inside my router
Attachments
port forwarding ottd.png
(85.56 KiB) Not downloaded yet
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Strawbs89 wrote:attached is the 4 screenshots inside my router
Under "Outbound services", the "Access FROM" needs to be changed to "ANY"
Strawbs89
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Strawbs89 »

ok done that now do i have to put the same ip in destination finish as well in outbound

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”