Industries own NewGRF.

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Kian
Engineer
Engineer

Industries own NewGRF.

Post by Kian »

Hi. I'm searching for a mod (Or NewGRF), who let you have industries and benefit from that. In short words, become a businessperson in the Industrial sector. I don't want comments saying "That's wrong, this is TRANSPORT tycoon" and bla bla bla. I know that the most of you don't want that function, but I'm not searching angry comments, I'm searching a mod who let the people who want that gameplay mechanic. Thx.

Por si entienden español: Hola, estoy buscando un mod (O NewGRF), que te deje tener industrias y beneficiarte por ello. En pocas palabras, convertirse en un empresario en el sector industrial. No quiero comentarios dicendo "Eso está mal, esto es TRANSPORT tycoon" y bla bla bla. Ya sé que la mayoría NO quiere esa función, pero no estoy buscando comentarios agresivos, lo que yo estoy buscando es una modificación que le deje a la gente que quiere esa mecánica del juego. Gracias.
ST2
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Industries own NewGRF.

Post by ST2 »

well, obvious reply is: Play Single player without competitors!
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

Kian wrote:I don't want comments saying...
But that will exactly be the only comment you will get.

There is no concept of industry ownership by transport companies in this game. There is no way at this point to code a NewGRF that will do anything close to what you are asking.

But before I keep going, I must ask, what do you exactly mean by "benefit from that." Benefit in what sense? Financially? But how financially? The industry will give you money periodically just because you own them?

Before you can benefit from owning a business, you must sell either your goods or services. In order to sell them, there must be demand for it. There is no concept of that demand in this game except for the demand to transport any goods from any producing industries (or houses) to accepting industries.

You might be getting the ideas after playing on multiplayer servers where they let you "own" a town to grow. But that functionality comes from a game script. I'm not aware of scripts that will do similar thing with industries yet. You may be able to write something like it. But before you write it, you must define what that "benefit" is, and how that benefit will be produced. And if you can benefit from owning a well-run industry, you should also be able to punish the owner of ill-managed industry as well.

Something I've contemplated recently involves something like this:
Modify a simple industry set, like OpenGRF Industries, and have industries that may be labeled as "Goods" and "Food", but they are not accepted by town buildings/houses like the default game. Force players to deliver them to a new "Market" or "Grocer" type of business. You can code an industry so that amount of Goods etc that the industry accepts depends on the size of the nearest town. Maybe do the same with houses and passengers/mail cargo, so you can dump millions of passengers per month into a small village with population of 20, just because the town will accept infinite amount of passengers/mail.

Once you have the industry mechanism where you can't drop goods without any regard to the pseudo-demand, then you can write a game script on top of that, which might introduce the concept of industry ownership.
Kian
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kian »

Sylf wrote:
Kian wrote:I don't want comments saying...
But that will exactly be the only comment you will get.

There is no concept of industry ownership by transport companies in this game. There is no way at this point to code a NewGRF that will do anything close to what you are asking.

But before I keep going, I must ask, what do you exactly mean by "benefit from that." Benefit in what sense? Financially? But how financially? The industry will give you money periodically just because you own them?

Before you can benefit from owning a business, you must sell either your goods or services. In order to sell them, there must be demand for it. There is no concept of that demand in this game except for the demand to transport any goods from any producing industries (or houses) to accepting industries.

You might be getting the ideas after playing on multiplayer servers where they let you "own" a town to grow. But that functionality comes from a game script. I'm not aware of scripts that will do similar thing with industries yet. You may be able to write something like it. But before you write it, you must define what that "benefit" is, and how that benefit will be produced. And if you can benefit from owning a well-run industry, you should also be able to punish the owner of ill-managed industry as well.

Something I've contemplated recently involves something like this:
Modify a simple industry set, like OpenGRF Industries, and have industries that may be labeled as "Goods" and "Food", but they are not accepted by town buildings/houses like the default game. Force players to deliver them to a new "Market" or "Grocer" type of business. You can code an industry so that amount of Goods etc that the industry accepts depends on the size of the nearest town. Maybe do the same with houses and passengers/mail cargo, so you can dump millions of passengers per month into a small village with population of 20, just because the town will accept infinite amount of passengers/mail.

Once you have the industry mechanism where you can't drop goods without any regard to the pseudo-demand, then you can write a game script on top of that, which might introduce the concept of industry ownership.
Mhmmm... you're right. "Benefit" means (at least for me) make money, with a mantenanice represented by the goods you buy and make money at the goods you sell (and the cargo cost, which can return to you or just benefit competitors). But maybe it is just too complex for a gamescript. Maybe the developers can do that, I mean, the game is theirs, based on TTD but theirs at least. But they aren't going to do a hated function.

Well, thank you all. Maybe I'm going to make a game with this mechanic, IDK, the idea looks good for me (Or maybe I play Rise of Industry, IDK).
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

It's pretty trivial to monitor what leaves an industry and what goes into an industry, and game script has powers to give and take money. Only remaining problem is that there is no ownership concept in the game for industries, you may be able to use cities for that (no idea how citybuilder scripts do it, but you may be able to get inspiration from them).
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Something close to that idea should be possible with current game mechanics...

You will need a custom industry-GRF and custom scenarios (and maybe also a custom houses-GRF) and it depends on if it is possible on online Multi-player games to finance industries (that I dont know for sure, I dont play online Multi-player, only with AI's ;-) )

Ill try to explain:

- Start out with a scenario that has no industries at all. Industries must only be able to be financed by players. Towns should only produce workers and only accept for example goods (or other or more products, depending on how difficult you want to make the economy, main thing is that towns should not accept workers/passengers, so that the money-model is focussed on industries and not on transporting workers/passengers from town to town).
- At the start, a player should get enough cash (or a loan) to finance one industry that accepts workers (that is your first way of getting money to expand your empire ;-) ) and produces something like construction-materials. Also you should ofcourse get enough cash (or expand your loan) to build the transportation network and first vehicles.
- Now, here is the trick to "own" your industry... You must surround your industry with for example station-tiles. So many, that a competitor cant get close enough with the catchment-area of their stationtiles to the industry. That way the industry is yours.
- Now, how to expand your empire... When you have earned enough cash you should be able to finance other industries, starting out with basic things like mines and industries that accept the mined items. Eventually getting to industries that produce stuff that is accepted by the towns (and that is where the real cash must eventually be earned).
- All off those industries should accept construction-materials to boost their output.

I think this way you should be able to get scenarios that are focussed on industries. Yes, the money is earned by transporting the items, but without setting up a good chain of industries you wont earn enough to win...
All of this is I think possible to do with GRF's...

But, again, the trick is on surrounding your industries with enough tiles that the catchment-area of competitors cant get close enough. That you can already do, without new GRF's or scenarios, it will make that industry yours, so to say...
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.

Return to “General OpenTTD”