Making newGRF as a begginer and non-programmer.

Discussions about the technical aspects of graphics development, including NewGRF tools and utilities.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

spajdy
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Making newGRF as a begginer and non-programmer.

Post by spajdy »

Hi, internet! Today I am running around tutorials about creating newGRF and I found it very... difficult to orientate in tutorials. But I've managed to draw graphics with PixelTool and somehow managed to write an NML and Language file. I was creating a bus. Thing is, that it was quite difficult for me since in tutorial for road vehicles there is only grfid and lng and nothing more. I had to click everywhere to find at least example. I am not familiar very well with coding (I am graphic.) I've managed to write nml file for that bus.
I have that things nmlc.exe and its files in the folder. But it doesn't run and I can not convert that folder with everything to grf. Actually trying to do this whole day and I am still not anywhere to resolving this.

If anyone can help, I'll be glad.

I mean, if you can help me check my nml file (because I am not sure if it is written right).
Can you help me understand why I can not convert my files to grf. (tried it easy way and proper way) (running Windows 10 Falls Creators Update)

I'll understand: English, Czech, Slovak so if you are able to help, please help me figure it out.
With best regards,
Špajdy.

My released NewGRFs:
ImageImageImage

You can find what I am planning next, or doing right now right in my developer diary.
Slovakia | lang : slovak | english

SLOVAK DISCORD SERVER I (and others Slovak and Czech creators) write there in Slovak about what I (ot they are) am planning. This invitation is valid for 100 users.
It is alive and well. :)
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Making newGRF as a begginer and non-programmer.

Post by Transportman »

Which tutorial did you follow? I found this one quite helpful, just follow the steps.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
spajdy
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by spajdy »

It is quite complicated, but I've managed to have all my files in the folder all together with that installation but it just opens a window for a sec and then just goes switches off.

I did follow this tutorial - but to be honest - I got troubles understanding it. I just do not know what can be the issue with app to convert to grf. That's my main problem.
With best regards,
Špajdy.

My released NewGRFs:
ImageImageImage

You can find what I am planning next, or doing right now right in my developer diary.

SLOVAK DISCORD SERVER I (and others Slovak and Czech creators) write there in Slovak about what I (ot they are) am planning. This invitation is valid for 100 users.
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

The way you get .nml to .grf is by opening the command prompt, typing

Code: Select all

cd (Location of the .nml)
Then you tell it to convert

nmlc "newgrf_name.nml"
Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
spajdy
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by spajdy »

Gwyd wrote:The way you get .nml to .grf is by opening the command prompt, typing

nmlc "newgrf_name.nml"
I did that. End exactly like before. There appeared a Windows with some of the information then switched off. And there is no result. I am unable to print screen while the window is opened.

Can it be, I did write something wrong in the NML file? (I am gonna try something simple instead, to see what it will do.)

If anyone is able to chat and help me I'll be glad.
With best regards,
Špajdy.

My released NewGRFs:
ImageImageImage

Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

If you could catch the text that it comes out with, that would help.

spajdy
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by spajdy »

Actually, I've got it working. Thanks.

But I got some troubles due to my lack of knowledge of NML. I have to do it all again :D Yay, me! But thanks. Your advice helped.
With best regards,
Špajdy.

My released NewGRFs:
ImageImageImage

acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Hi,

I'm in the same situation, i'm currently making the graphics for a bus.
If nmlc.exe directly closes after opening, here's the steps to follow :

1. Rightclick "Computer" on the desktop or in the Start menu and select Properties. This will open the System window from the Configuration Panel.
2. Click Advanced system settings in the left pane. This will open the System Properties window.
3. Click the Advanced tab.
4. On the Advanced tab, click the Environment Variables... button. This will open the Environment Variables window.
5. In the bottom half of the window below System variables, find the Path entry and select it.
6. With the Path entry selected, click the Edit... button. An edit box will appear.
7. Do not touch the Variable name and do not remove anything from the Variable value! (This is where you can break your computer.)
8. Put your cursor at the end of the Variable value box and type a semicolon followed by the directory path to the NML program, in this case ;C:\tools\NML
9. Confirm your changes by clicking the OK button in each of the three windows.
10. Go in "Execute" in your computer.
11. Type "cmd".
12. In the black screen, type "nmlc.exe" and the logicial will open.
13. Code, code, and code !!!

EDIT : You found the way, man !
spajdy
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by spajdy »

acs121 wrote:Hi,

I'm in the same situation, i'm currently making the graphics for a bus.
If nmlc.exe directly closes after opening, here's the steps to follow :

1. Rightclick "Computer" on the desktop or in the Start menu and select Properties. This will open the System window from the Configuration Panel.
2. Click Advanced system settings in the left pane. This will open the System Properties window.
3. Click the Advanced tab.
4. On the Advanced tab, click the Environment Variables... button. This will open the Environment Variables window.
5. In the bottom half of the window below System variables, find the Path entry and select it.
6. With the Path entry selected, click the Edit... button. An edit box will appear.
7. Do not touch the Variable name and do not remove anything from the Variable value! (This is where you can break your computer.)
8. Put your cursor at the end of the Variable value box and type a semicolon followed by the directory path to the NML program, in this case ;C:\tools\NML
9. Confirm your changes by clicking the OK button in each of the three windows.
10. Go in "Execute" in your computer.
11. Type "cmd".
12. In the black screen, type "nmlc.exe" and the logicial will open.
13. Code, code, and code !!!

EDIT : You found the way, man !
Thanks, but I have actually tried this and it did not work. Actually this:
Gwyd wrote:The way you get .nml to .grf is by opening the command prompt, typing

nmlc "newgrf_name.nml"
Worked. But I have to do learn it .... it is running. Nothing great, but it is running bus. Thanks folks!
With best regards,
Špajdy.

My released NewGRFs:
ImageImageImage

acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

...you sure you did every step correctly ?! It works for me !

Return to “NewGRF Technical Discussions”