PaulC's Bits & Bobs

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

PaulC
Director
Director

PaulC's Bits & Bobs

Post by PaulC »

Rather than having lots of separate topics on the go, I wanted to have a place where I can post all of my half-arsed ideas and random stuff. So that's what this is. I can't promise great things, I'd say my talents as a coder and artist are "limited" at best, but I like tinkering with stuff and maybe some of you will be into it. Comments, crits and whatever else welcome!
PaulC
Director
Director

Re: PaulC's Bits & Bobs

Post by PaulC »

So, over in another topic I posted about this old airport GRF. It's pretty old, unlicenced, I have no idea who made it and it's basically cobbled together from bits of the original base set. But I also think it's pretty nifty, and it would be a simple task to recreate it from scratch using OpenGFX graphics. So that's what I did.

This is just a basic graphic replacement for the small airport. I like the idea of the fake road, but how best to make it compatible with different road sets, particuarly those that have an incompatible licence? The path of least resistance might be to have separate add-on GRFs that replace those two tiles. Maybe the whole thing wants recoding as a new airport? (Which I'd love to do BTW, if I can manage to wrap my head around the specs without going insane.)

Remains to be seen whether or not I do any more work on this, but here it is. Graphical credits go to the original OpenGFX artists (skidd13, Zephyris and others).
Attachments
OpenGFX Small Modern Airport.png
OpenGFX Small Modern Airport.png (126.92 KiB) Viewed 9192 times
small_airport.grf
(22.02 KiB) Downloaded 589 times
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Nice. :bow:
PaulC wrote:I like the idea of the fake road, but how best to make it compatible with different road sets,
I shouldn't worry about it. If anybody complains about it, just tell them that the Airport Authority ran out of paint and budget with which to buy some more. 8)
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

You could at least input the UK roads, as they are the most used (only type of fake diagonal roads in GarryG's objects, only roadtype for the fake tunnel in Dutch Stations Addition...)
buttercup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by buttercup »

I was bored so I did this (excuse the not-especially-helpful commenting and poor coding style):

Code: Select all

3 * 11	 00 11 02 02 21 // 2 properties to change, 2 buildings to change, starting at building 21
			08 21 22 // substitute tile
			09 21 22 // override tile

4 * 17	 02 11 01 00 //
			29 05 00 00 // ground sprite
			00 00 00 00 // building sprite
			00 00 // x, y offsets
			00 00 00 // bounding box sizes

5 * 17	 02 11 02 00 //
			28 05 00 00 // ground sprite
			00 00 00 00 // building sprite
			00 00 // x, y offsets
			00 00 00 // bounding box sizes

6 * 7	 03 11 01 // action 3, airports, 1 sprite to change
			21 // replaces id 
			00 // no new cargo ids
			01 00 // use id 

7 * 7	 03 11 01 // action 3, airports, 1 sprite to change
			22 // replaces id 
			00 // no new cargo ids
			02 00 // use id 
Screenshot just to show it works with whatever roadset is loaded, even if it doesn't match:
airport_test.png
airport_test.png (52.52 KiB) Viewed 9115 times
I was lazy and only replaced those two tiles but it seems to work OK. I'm not entirely sure I understand everything though so that might not be the "proper" way of doing it.
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

Thanks for that buttercup, my NFO is a bit rusty but at first glance it looks reasonably straightforward. I was hoping it was possible to do something like that so I'm pleased to see it works. When I get time I'll have a proper look at the specs.
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

Donald Trump, in glorious 32bpp extra zoom! :mrgreen:

So basically this was just a fun little coding exercise I did over the holidays, but who knows, maybe some of you would like to have The Donald running your transport empires? I don't know if there's a more practical use for this sort of thing, but it would be pretty easy for people to create their own avatar grfs using the same method.
Attachments
COVFEFE Transport, 2018-01-28.png
COVFEFE Transport, 2018-01-28.png (206.1 KiB) Viewed 8958 times
trump.grf
(738.6 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Brilliant! :twisted:

As a companion piece for your other topic, didn't somebody once upon a time code a White House HQ? :mrgreen:
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
wallyweb wrote:As a companion piece for your other topic, didn't somebody once upon a time code a White House HQ? :mrgreen:
If I'm right, the White House HQ was part of the North American City Set (OzTrans's set?).

Tschö, Auge
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

wallyweb wrote:As a companion piece for your other topic, didn't somebody once upon a time code a White House HQ? :mrgreen:
Wasn't it North American Roads? I'm sure I have it somewhere. Weren't those grfs at the centre of one of this forum's occasional s*** though?
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Auge wrote:If I'm right, the White House HQ was part of the North American City Set (OzTrans's set?).
PaulC wrote:Wasn't it North American Roads? I'm sure I have it somewhere. Weren't those grfs at the centre of one of this forum's occasional s*** though?
The Canadian stuff was, but North American Roads remains available here, and yes, I checked the pdf readme and the White House is indeed available as a parameter. Thanks for giving my memory a jog. :wink:
Last edited by wallyweb on 12 Jan 2018 22:35, edited 1 time in total.
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

wallyweb wrote:...but North American Roads remains available here
Good to know! :D
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

PaulC wrote:
wallyweb wrote:...but North American Roads remains available here
Good to know! :D
Even better to know : if you place a roadset under NA Roads, be it UK Roads, TTRS Roads, or whatever you want, you can get the NA Roads stops.
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

Three small UFOs take off in formation from this desert helistation. Just something I'm playing about with at the moment...
Attachments
Brundhattan Ridge Transport, 2018-01-28.png
Brundhattan Ridge Transport, 2018-01-28.png (51.95 KiB) Viewed 8621 times
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

I was planning on making a futuristic vehicle set (2018 onwards to around 3000), may i please borrow your sprites ? :D
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

Well they aren't mine, I'm just working with the OpenGFX base set here. It's all in the repository on the DevZone: http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/opengfx/repository
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Wow! All that's missing is an "Area 51 that way --->> " sign. :lol:
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

PaulC wrote:Donald Trump, in glorious 32bpp extra zoom! :mrgreen:

So basically this was just a fun little coding exercise I did over the holidays, but who knows, maybe some of you would like to have The Donald running your transport empires? I don't know if there's a more practical use for this sort of thing, but it would be pretty easy for people to create their own avatar grfs using the same method.
Was this in NFO or NML?

Could you share the code?
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

Sure, attached tar includes the basic nml and some blank pngs.
Attachments
templates.tar
(12 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

If you've seen some of my recent posts in the technical forum you might know that I'm working on a grf for new currencies. I've been tinkering about with this a bit more today so here's a screenshot of where I'm up to. I now have 16 currencies coded, most of them from Asia, Africa and the Americas, so the overall selection will be far less Eurocentric than the default.
Attachments
Unnamed, 2000-01-01.png
Unnamed, 2000-01-01.png (171.22 KiB) Viewed 8381 times

Return to “Graphics Development”