Zephyris' Houses (and other things) in NML questions

Discussions about the technical aspects of graphics development, including NewGRF tools and utilities.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Zephyris' Houses (and other things) in NML questions

Post by Zephyris »

So I'm back (for now) and looking at town houses in NML...

A few little questions to get started, I'll give some code snippets if more info is needed:

1. Random colours in houses.
The NML specs say there is a house property "random colours" which takes an array of four recolours, eg. [COLOUR_DARK_BLUE, COLOUR_DARK_GREEN, COLOUR_BLUE, COLOUR_WHITE]. I tried this with dummy house sprites that are entirely company colour, but it didn't seem to do anything... Always appeared blue. Am I using the right table of recolours?

2. Preferred method for road-facing houses.
I can get a switch detecting nearby roads, and pick appropriate sprites or return an appropriate value, but what's the best way to then handle this data? Directly using the switch to pick sprites works, but allows the building to rotate when you change the neighbouring roads, and the redrawing isn't clean. Using four animation frames and setting the animation frame via anim_control works, but it takes a tile loop to set the house to its correct orientation and is still sensitive to changes to the neighbouring roads. I thought setting the animation frame on changes to construction state via construction_anim might avoid this, by triggering only on construction state changes, but this didn't seem to work.

3. Town index
I'd like to use the town index for some pseudo-random town to town variation. It's listed as a variable for a NFO varaction2, but not as an nml switch variable. Can I access that variable via NML? On a related note, is the coordinates of the town centre accessible via NML or NFO? I thought it was, but can't find it documented...
Last edited by Zephyris on 10 Jan 2018 17:24, edited 1 time in total.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Zephyris' Houses in NML questions

Post by Eddi »

2) i'm not entirely sure, but there should be a way to "stop" the animation after it ran once, so you shouldn't have to worry about later changes. possibly you need a fifth (or zeroth) animation frame "undecided"

3) unknown variables can be accessed with "var[num, shift, mask]", but you should open a feature request about it.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

1) You can´t use CC blue for house recolouring. IIRC, you need to use brownish 0x46 .. 0x4F.

2) Take a look into the code for Swedish houses. It is mis-using animation for road-facing.

regards
Michael
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Thanks! Swedish towns was very informative. When the animation frame is zero (ie. new buildings) it picks an animation frame (1 and higher) based on neighbouring roads. When the animation frame is more than zero it stops the animation. I'm guessing it also sets the animation speed to high to quickly change house orientation...
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Zephyris wrote: I'm guessing it also sets the animation speed to high to quickly change house orientation...
That´s not needed, since the default is already fastest (108 msec). And in fact, it won´t be needed since "speed" is defined as amount of time between switching frames. And house orientation should be set exclusively when building, shouldn´t it?

regards
Michael
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

The issue I'm seeing is that the house is initially built facing in the default direction (ie. whatever is shown for animation frame 0). It seems the animation frame is then updated on the next tile loop (is that when the next animation frame is triggered?); this setting the building to the correct orientation (ie. animation frame 1 to 4). Adding the animation stop prevents the house from re-orienting when you demolish/add neighboring roads (ie. they are fixed in animation frame 1 to 4). It doesn't help with that initial default orientation (which is always frame 0).

Looking in more detail I think the way Swedish houses handles this is by using two switches: For frame 0 have a direct switch in orientation based on neighbouring roads then 'lock' the orientation using frame 1 to 4 use the orientation based on that animation frame. It just seems a bit inelegant. Or perhaps I've just missed how it works...

I'm wondering if callback triggers other than anim_control (callback 1A) might work better. anim_next_frame and construction_anim (callback 1B and 1C) never seem to trigger though.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I think I've solved the random colour problem.

In NFO:
https://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/A ... ng_sprites

House action2/sprite layout, under sprite definition for ground and building sprites, says:
Bits 14-15: 0: draw sprite normally, 1: draw sprite in transparent mode, 2: recolor sprite
Bits 16-29: Colour translation special sprite number

If bits 16-29 are set then it just uses that recolouring. If they are not set then, if house callback 1E is returns a value, that palette/colour translation will be used. Otherwise if colours are specified in house action0 property 17 then they will be used.

In NML:
https://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/N ... ecolouring
Setting a recolour_mode in a spritelayout is presumably equivalent to action2/sprite layout bits 14-15. Similarly setting the palette in a spritelayout is presumably setting bits 16-29.

Not setting a palette (i.e. ommitting the line) is not allowed:
"nmlc ERROR: 'palette' must be set when 'recolour_mode' is not set to RECOLOUR_NONE"
However, setting palette to 0 (i.e. trying to imitate setting bits 16-29 to zero) works.

It looks like an over-stringency in nmlc; if recolour_mode is not set to RECOLOUR_NONE then palette should probably default to zero.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Another question:
Is there a way to get the coordinates of the town for a grf? I'd like to effectively add another town zone right at the town centre. That should be easily possible with a construction callback checking town zone and distance from town centre, assuming town centre coordinates are accessible.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Zephyris wrote:Another question:
Is there a way to get the coordinates of the town for a grf? I'd like to effectively add another town zone right at the town centre. That should be easily possible with a construction callback checking town zone and distance from town centre, assuming town centre coordinates are accessible.
I was about to answer "yes, sure". But seems that houses don't have that information available - opposed to industries which can query their distance from the closest town.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

The house coordinates themselves are accessible right? If the town is accessible too then I could use the difference between the two, but I couldn't work out if town coordinates are accessible as one of the undocumented features...
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Zephyris wrote: I couldn't work out if town coordinates are accessible as one of the undocumented features...
Since m4nfo includes a function townlocation() (accessing town var 0x80), I think it should work. At least it did in TTDPatch, never tried it for OTTD.

regards
Michael
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

michael blunck wrote:
Zephyris wrote: I couldn't work out if town coordinates are accessible as one of the undocumented features...
Since m4nfo includes a function townlocation() (accessing town var 0x80), I think it should work. At least it did in TTDPatch, never tried it for OTTD.

regards
Michael
A bit offtopic, but related:
Is it also possible to extract that information? For example to a .txt?
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Quast65 wrote: Is it also possible to extract that information? For example to a .txt?
You´re asking about extracting town coordinates from a game? Probably by using a script.

regards
Michael
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

On a related note, is the coordinates of the town centre accessible via NML or NFO? I thought it was, but can't find it documented...
Town co-ordinates ... Sounds like a GPS question.
Opening a town's window and clicking on the Location button centers the map precisely on that location.
Similarly with clicking on a town's name in the Town List menu, which should have those names and co-ordinates all in one convenient [src], no?
I'm not at all a dev or a patch level coder, but I suspect a poke about the appropriate [src] would give up a variable name or an array co-ordinate containing the sought after values.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

You´re asking about extracting town coordinates from a game?
Yes
Probably by using a script.
but I suspect a poke about the appropriate [src] would give up a variable name or an array co-ordinate containing the sought after values.
Well, the first person who figures that out, gets a virtual beer from me (and I tell ya, those will be worth more than Bitcoin!! :mrgreen: )
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I'll take a look at accessing those variables, sounds promising.

New question: Is it intentional behaviour to be able to block removal of buildings by setting the local authority rating impact to greater than 1000? I'm not complaining (it would be very useful for landmark-type buildings) but I found it a little surprising.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Zephyris wrote:New question: Is it intentional behaviour to be able to block removal of buildings by setting the local authority rating impact to greater than 1000? I'm not complaining (it would be very useful for landmark-type buildings) but I found it a little surprising.
This goes back to the good old TTDP days. I suspect the rational was that local authorities take a very dim view of megamaniacal industrialists who relish in creating shortcuts to profits. :twisted:

That may be why they hid some extra dynamite in Ctrl+Alt+C where they can also access enormous amounts of money with which to bribe the local authorities. :wink:

The alternative is to plant many trees on treeless lots. :P
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Thanks wallyweb :)

New question:
In NML a spritelayout can take parameters for offset in a sprite set, eg:

Code: Select all

spritelayout layout_house_offices(variant_offset) {
	ground {
		sprite: sprites_ground_offices(variant_offset);
	}
	building {
		sprite: sprites_house_offices(variant_offset);
	}
}
I would have thought you could use a similar approach to modify recolouring, eg:

spritelayout layout_house_offices(variant_offset) {
	ground {
		sprite: sprites_ground_offices(1);
	}
	building {
		sprite: sprites_house_offices(1);
		recolour_mode: RECOLOUR_REMAP;
		palette: variant_offset+795;
	}
}
However this gives an error in nml\actions\action2var.py, line275, in supported_by_actionD

Does anyone know enough about actionD to know whether you should be able to use it to calculate something like palette offsets?
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Hi Zephyris!

An error as in a crash?
That would be a bug in the NML compiler.

If so, could you run nml with a '--stack' option to get the full stack dump, and file a bug in the nml project?
https://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/nml/

A way to reproduce the bug would be splendid!
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Looks like a crash to me! This are the details... I'll file a bug report when I can grab a bit more time!

A minimal GRF

//Define the grf
grf {
    grfid: "ZDB\02";
    name: string(STR_GRF_NAME);
    desc: string(STR_GRF_DESC);
    version: 0;
    min_compatible_version: 0;
}

//Cargoes
cargotable {PASS, GOOD, MAIL}

//Disable all buildings
disable_item(FEAT_HOUSES);

//Debug house
//Sprite layout ***HERIN LIES THE ISSUE***
spritelayout layout_debug_house(palette_offset) {
	ground {
		sprite: GROUNDSPRITE_NORMAL;
		recolour_mode: RECOLOUR_REMAP;
		palette: 795+palette_offset;
	}
}

//The house itself
item(FEAT_HOUSES, item_house_detached) {
    property {
		substitute: 24;
		population: 12;
		mail_multiplier: 3;
		accepted_cargos: [[PASS, 2], [MAIL, 1]];
		local_authority_impact: 70;
		removal_cost_multiplier: 70;
		probability: 6;
		years_available: [1950, 3000];
		availability_mask: [ALL_TOWNZONES, ALL_CLIMATES];
    }
    graphics {
        default: layout_debug_house(1);
    }
}
The NMLC error

nmlc ERROR: nmlc: An internal error has occurred:
nmlc-version: 0.4.0.r5397:588fce355f96 from 2014-10-11
Error: (AssertionError) .
Command: ['nmlc', 'ActionDBug.nml']
Location: File "nml\actions\action2var.py", line 275, in supported_by_actionD
The stack dump

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python33\lib\site-packages\cx_Freeze\initscripts\Console.py", line 27, in <module>
  File "nmlc", line 6, in <module>
  File "nml\main.py", line 342, in run
  File "nml\main.py", line 161, in main
  File "nml\main.py", line 220, in nml
  File "nml\ast\base_statement.py", line 154, in get_action_list
  File "nml\ast\spriteblock.py", line 233, in get_action_list
  File "nml\actions\action2layout.py", line 438, in get_layout_action2s
  File "nml\actions\actionD.py", line 160, in write_action_value
  File "nml\actions\actionD.py", line 126, in get_tmp_parameter
  File "nml\actions\actionD.py", line 313, in parse_actionD
  File "nml\expression\binop.py", line 179, in supported_by_actionD
  File "nml\actions\action2var.py", line 275, in supported_by_actionD