Italian Trains

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Italian Trains

Post by Emperor Jake »

Ooh, diesels :)

Tried my hand at a Gran Comfort coach in the original livery, but I think the red is a bit overpowering... what do you think?
Attachments
gran-comfort-wip.png
gran-comfort-wip.png (2.13 KiB) Viewed 3375 times
Gliptal
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gliptal »

Emperor Jake wrote:Ooh, diesels :)

Tried my hand at a Gran Comfort coach in the original livery, but I think the red is a bit overpowering... what do you think?
I like it! I wouldn't worry too much about colors, a 100 years long period of time will yield pretty colorful liveries anyways.
Arch9enius
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arch9enius »

Is anyone going to do / done the cab forward locos? I dunno if they are significant or not, I just think they're different. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FS_Class_670 seems they did two classes of third rail locos too.

I've no idea how much time or effort goes into coding this stuff and usually play with UK outline locos, so no worries if you want to keep to a representative bunch of stock.

"Why don't we just load her up like one of those little horses?"
Gliptal
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gliptal »

Arch9enius wrote:Is anyone going to do / done the cab forward locos? I dunno if they are significant or not, I just think they're different. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FS_Class_670 seems they did two classes of third rail locos too.

I've no idea how much time or effort goes into coding this stuff and usually play with UK outline locos, so no worries if you want to keep to a representative bunch of stock.
I'm not opposed to adding them at all, the only problem is the graphics. Right now I'm using existing ones (modified where needed), but I have nowhere near the ability of making a set of sprites from scratch. If someone comes up saying he'd like to do them, I'll gladly add them to the set.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Maybe you could add the ALe/ETR 503 ?
Gliptal
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gliptal »

acs121 wrote:Maybe you could add the ALe/ETR 503 ?
Do you mean the 610? If that's the case I don't think it's worth elongating the list, since that is simply a ETR.600 repurposed to work on Austrian lines.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

No, not the 610, the ALe 503 looks like the Stadler Flirt or the Minuetto. It's this thing :
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Arch9enius wrote:Is anyone going to do / done the cab forward locos? I dunno if they are significant or not, I just think they're different. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FS_Class_670 seems they did two classes of third rail locos too.

The Class 670 is definitely a very interesting steamer. It was nicknamed The Cow, because of its specific tanker-like tender which looked like a little calf following its mother. Along with many other steamers, this one will definitely be in the Italian set I'll start working on in the near future. 8)
The French Narrow Gauge Train Set is now released! Get it here
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Wow, that 670 is a strange thing.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Quick and dirty recolour of the ALn 442:
Italy_FS_ALn_442_448.png
Italy_FS_ALn_442_448.png (5.74 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
And here's the E424 in its various liveries, a work in progress. Just to be sure that we're on the same page about the colour choices - I'd hate to have mismatched liveries that are supposed to be the same :wink:
e424-colours.PNG
e424-colours.PNG (12.39 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
Gliptal
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gliptal »

Nice! I still have to look up multiple liveries, but the idea was to have the typical brown "freight", the blue/gray old livery, the newer green/white one, and the new regional. Obviously not all for each engine, depending on introduction date and main purpose.

I'm not working on sprites lately due to free time concerns, but coding now is a breeze since I've put up quite a nice build system. Every sprite you can send my way will be great.

On another note, I guess my D.343 is a bit too high w.r.t. electrics. I'll have to modify it.
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Emperor Jake wrote:Quick and dirty recolour of the ALn 442:
Italy_FS_ALn_442_448.png

And here's the E424 in its various liveries, a work in progress. Just to be sure that we're on the same page about the colour choices - I'd hate to have mismatched liveries that are supposed to be the same :wink:
e424-colours.PNG
The original livery for the E424 (as well as the electrics of that era) was brownish, not greenish. It looks like you're using colors 18-1F for the body, which is a greenish tone; I'm not sure it's the appropriate one. The tone you used for the roof looks better suited.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Snail wrote: The original livery for the E424 (as well as the electrics of that era) was brownish, not greenish. It looks like you're using colors 18-1F for the body, which is a greenish tone; I'm not sure it's the appropriate one. The tone you used for the roof looks better suited.
I guess it is a bit too green, I used it because it was one of the NewCC colours which looked about right, plus some of the pictures make it look greenish.

Here's a new test image, I also changed the XMPR livery to be more bluish, and provided 2 alternates for the red/orange one.

Attachments
e424-colours2.PNG
e424-colours2.PNG (46.83 KiB) Viewed 385 times
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Now that's more like it. It's closer to the early livery with 2 tones of brown. You might also want to try the later livery, which had the darker shade of brown all over the body (not just the roof and the lower part).
As for the other two liveries, remember they weren't so common (especially the horrible XMPR colors). Most 424's remained brown until the very end.
Gliptal
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gliptal »

Quick update: I'm still here, although I'll have no time to work on this until the second half of February.

With that said, my plan is to code everything and use placheolder GFXs for the graphics. This way I can release the newGRF and people can start using and testing everything, even if with placheolder graphics on most of the stuff. If I understood how newGRF are handled by OpenTTD correctly, savegames will remain compatible between updates as well.

This means I'll have to take a look at how multiple liveries for a single vehicle work (both code and ingame), and consists. In the meantime, any GFX is really appreciated!
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Gliptal wrote: This means I'll have to take a look at how multiple liveries for a single vehicle work (both code and ingame), and consists. In the meantime, any GFX is really appreciated!
There are multiple ways of doing this; the two main ways are using a switch to build a certain livery according to the current year, or using cargo subtypes to allow the player to refit into different liveries. The Dutch Trainset does this best, as it combines the two.
Gliptal
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gliptal »

Emperor Jake wrote:
Gliptal wrote: This means I'll have to take a look at how multiple liveries for a single vehicle work (both code and ingame), and consists. In the meantime, any GFX is really appreciated!
There are multiple ways of doing this; the two main ways are using a switch to build a certain livery according to the current year, or using cargo subtypes to allow the player to refit into different liveries. The Dutch Trainset does this best, as it combines the two.
Ok so it's all at code level, the end user can't make the choice. Not too keen on this.
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Erato »

Gliptal wrote:Ok so it's all at code level, the end user can't make the choice. Not too keen on this.
You can also still use cargosubtypes and allow the user to choose. Say ypu have 2 liveries: Red and blue, and in the year 1990 all trains switch from red to blue. You can have the cargo subtypes as "Year dependent (Default)" "Red" and "Blue", so users can choose to keep the trains in the year-dependent livery, or choose which they prefer.
If appropriate you might want "Random" instead of "Year Dependent", or even have either Random or Year dependent choose a random livery, depending on the year.
One of the trains in NATS has this; The default setting checks the year and selects one of two selections of random liveries based on that, but you can also choose to have one of the 14 liveries, instead of leaving it to chance.
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Gliptal
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gliptal »

Anyone up to creating a quick and dirty "placeholder" gfx for both an engine, and a carriage?
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Erato »

Gliptal wrote:Anyone up to creating a quick and dirty "placeholder" gfx for both an engine, and a carriage?
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Graphics Development”