How can I activate or deactivate NewGRF's in a specific scenario?

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Fuser
Engineer
Engineer

How can I activate or deactivate NewGRF's in a specific scenario?

Post by Fuser »

Hello everybody!

First of all, apologize for the poor quality of my English. :bow:

I have some doubts with the NewGRF´s world.

At first, how can I activate or deactivate NewGRF's in a specific scenario? The scenario I want to play comes with certain activated NewGRFs (several of ECS), but the problem arises when the ECS NewGRF that´s include that the vehicles can transport all types of cargo produced by the industries, is not activated, and I can´t activate it in the NewGRF Configuration.

Anyone knows how to solve this?

Thank you in advance.
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: How can I activate or deactivate NewGRF's in a specific scenario?

Post by Gwyd »

https://wiki.openttd.org/NewGRF_Debugging
If you follow the steps, you can change NewGRFs.
Oh, and this can be a very bad thing to do (according to some, it will stop santa coming)
Fuser
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Fuser »

OK thanks! I'll try it, and see if it works.

Let's cross our fingers, and let's hope Santa arrives! :) :)
Fuser
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Fuser »

Sorry for the double post...

It works!

At least does it at the start of a new game. I will try a time and report...

This debug function is very good, you just have to make sure, in the case of adding new GRFs, that they are compatible with those already activated.

Thanks again!
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Fuser wrote:Sorry for the double post...

It works!

At least does it at the start of a new game. I will try a time and report...

This debug function is very good, you just have to make sure, in the case of adding new GRFs, that they are compatible with those already activated.

Thanks again!
The dev's constantly talk about issues and corruption but I've never had any issues in the 10 years I've been playing OpenTTD, just so long as you dont change anything your using while playing (Like removing a trainset your using cars and engines from) or changing industry sets (that'll really make things weird with lots of missing sprites and <invalid cargo> popping up everywhere)

If you run into any crashes or issues after changing NewGRF's your very unlikely to get support from the dev's, though I'm sure that others may help at least and figure out if an issue is because of changed NewGRF's in a game or scenario, or if its something else.

Plus I think its silly that changing GRF's in scenarios is disabled by default as most scenarios are devoid of NewGRF's despite being based on a region or country that may have vehicle sets for that (like adding NARS+NARS Add-on to the USA Scenario)
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

NekoMaster wrote:The dev's constantly talk about issues and corruption but I've never had any issues in the 10 years I've been playing OpenTTD
It happened to me once. It ruined an elaborate three year game. It honestly killed a little bit of my joy of playing OpenTTD.
NekoMaster wrote:Plus I think its silly that changing GRF's in scenarios is disabled by default as most scenarios are devoid of NewGRF's despite being based on a region or country that may have vehicle sets for that (like adding NARS+NARS Add-on to the USA Scenario)
Most scenarios were created before the lockdown, because it was expected that you would add your own stuff. These scenarios need to be recreated properly with NewGRFs added.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Well, as a GRF-developer I can give a couple of examples where things can go very very wrong with changing GRFs ingame.

For example with a station-set.
Sometimes I am not happy with the order of certain stations in the purchase-menu, if that order is changed then a lot can go wrong in a running game.
One of the things that goes wrong, is that some already built stations will change in their appearance, that will probably not cause a crash, its just a nuisance as the player needs to replace those parts manually.
It will probably cause a crash though if the size changes (for example, first I had a station sized 3x3, with the change of order there is now a 4x4 in that place).
Or if some of the properties change, for example from tracked to non-tracked, imagine that there is a train on a formerly tracked tile, that suddenly changes to non-tracked...

A lot of freedom is given to GRF-developers to change and alter their GRFs and I am very happy with that, as it improves GRFs.
It does mean though that you have to be very careful as a player with changing GRFs in running games and/or scenarios and be very aware that problems may arise (maybe not instantly, but also in the future as Kamnet has said).

Therefor the elaborate way to be able to change GRFs is a good thing in my opinion, as it raises the awareness and carefulness of the player.
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Fuser
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Fuser »

After reading your posts, I think you are referring to the dangers of changing GRF's during a game already started.

In my case, what I want to do is add a couple of GRF´s to those who come on stage (to be playable) and after that, start a new game.

I imagine that in these way there is not so much danger!
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by 3298 »

Keep in mind that scenarios are actually savegames. No company-owned stuff is built yet, but the data structures that can be corrupted by changing NewGRFs are already there.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Keep in mind that scenarios are actually savegames. No company-owned stuff is built yet, but the data structures that can be corrupted by changing NewGRFs are already there.
Exactly!

Yes, the "danger level" is indeed a lot lower, but still there.

Therefor, changing GRFs ingame or in an already created scenario is at your own risk and you should be very aware of that, therefor the elaborate way you have to take to enable changes is in my opinion still a good thing.

But I think you are warned enough now ;-)
Just change the GRFs to what you want and enjoy the game! But do save it from time to time, to be safe ;-)
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”