Unspooled

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Unspooled

Post by supermop »

Kalen wrote:In trying out your set, I noticed I'm not getting catenary poles in the SW and SE views of dead-end tiles (full tiles show them correctly). Is this just how catenary sprites drawing works in general, is it an NRT-specific known issue, or is it a hiccup on my end?

I have the same issue, and to be honest I have no idea why this occurs... the 'default' catenary dead ends don't have a pole there, so I can't tell if it is specific to this set, or just something intrinsic to the way road catenary is drawn....

I hope it is an NRT thing that can be fixed, but otherwise I'll need to redraw the dead ends to look different...
Kalen
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Kalen »

I play with OpenGFX, whose tram tracks, based on FooBar's, only have poles on one side (monopoles!), so I don't believe this would happen there. But I went back to the TTDX baseset to see how the poles show there, and both are appearing on dead-end tiles in all orientations. So perhaps it's not an inherent aspect but something about the catenary sprites for those two views. I don't know if you can access those sprites to compare with yours, though.
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

I've been testing out Trolleybi trucks on Unspooled over the past few days while I was trying the various new trucks I'd made, and one observation I had was that building electric asphalt roads all over would bankrupt my small companies if I didn't have good profit coming in from the trucks. This might be an affect of the particulars of my test games, but I was wondering what other people thought? Does anyone have comments on road construction and upkeep costs? If you are running trains, ships, planes etc it might be tough to notice.

I think I am close to where I want to be with cost - encouraging players to build rough roads for remote industrial access, making construction of private highways prohibitive - without being too hardcore, but please let me know if your impression is different. It's difficult to really evaluate the electrified road, with only one style of RV available for it, so we may need to wait for a better sample size.

Best,
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

Good evening in local time :) I don't know where better to write report on beautiful openttd-ratt-gbd698b91-road-and-tram-types-windows-win64. I decided to write in this thread. Reason: I used in the current game spool.grf, docklands011.grf and moprv45.grf. I in this version of the game made the scenario. Mistakes never happened. The scenario I've saved for future small game. Then I decided to play. To run the script. Pressed the pause button and started to buy different vehicles in the game. In the end, I built a small railway network with two stations. After I saved the game. Then decided to run all vehicles on the map. Pressed the "pause" button to resume the game and immediately flew error (see attachment). The error is related to types of roads. And read the report in the archive (crash save game attached). I understand that the game is still not stable. But I want to try to play it. I hope you can help me with this situation. Thanks in advance for your attention.

In the second case, the error took off a few seconds after start 4 trucks out of the garage. The first truck is fully loaded with wood and went to mill. But here again, and the error is the same as in the first case. Regards,
STD (Aleksey).
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

STD wrote:Good evening in local time :) I don't know where better to write report on beautiful openttd-ratt-gbd698b91-road-and-tram-types-windows-win64. I decided to write in this thread. Reason: I used in the current game spool.grf, docklands011.grf and moprv45.grf. I in this version of the game made the scenario. Mistakes never happened. The scenario I've saved for future small game. Then I decided to play. To run the script. Pressed the pause button and started to buy different vehicles in the game. In the end, I built a small railway network with two stations. After I saved the game. Then decided to run all vehicles on the map. Pressed the "pause" button to resume the game and immediately flew error (see attachment). The error is related to types of roads. And read the report in the archive (crash save game attached). I understand that the game is still not stable. But I want to try to play it. I hope you can help me with this situation. Thanks in advance for your attention.

openttd-ratt-gbd698b91-road-and-tram-types-windows-win64.rar

In the second case, the error took off a few seconds after start 4 trucks out of the garage. The first truck is fully loaded with wood and went to mill. But here again, and the error is the same as in the first case.
openttd-ratt-gbd698b91-road-and-tram-types-windows-win64_report #2.rar

Regards,
STD (Aleksey).
Updated grfs ,loaded a random map , no problems , try this save on your computer .
Drenford Transport, 9th Apr 1952.sav
(437.62 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

piratescooby wrote:
STD wrote:Good evening in local time :) I don't know where better to write report on beautiful openttd-ratt-gbd698b91-road-and-tram-types-windows-win64. I decided to write in this thread. Reason: I used in the current game spool.grf, docklands011.grf and moprv45.grf. I in this version of the game made the scenario. Mistakes never happened. The scenario I've saved for future small game. Then I decided to play. To run the script. Pressed the pause button and started to buy different vehicles in the game. In the end, I built a small railway network with two stations. After I saved the game. Then decided to run all vehicles on the map. Pressed the "pause" button to resume the game and immediately flew error (see attachment). The error is related to types of roads. And read the report in the archive (crash save game attached). I understand that the game is still not stable. But I want to try to play it. I hope you can help me with this situation. Thanks in advance for your attention.

In the second case, the error took off a few seconds after start 4 trucks out of the garage. The first truck is fully loaded with wood and went to mill. But here again, and the error is the same as in the first case.

Regards,
STD (Aleksey).
Updated grfs ,loaded a random map , no problems , try this save on your computer .
Thank you for helping on my question :) I Have all necessary GRF, but the game why not define them. This is very strange. I copied them and put it in the newgrf folder. In any case, I was able to load your save game. Everything works. No errors. I did not understand why I can't play the scenario in this version of the game.
I then put the scenario file to solve the problem. Download it how game and check for the performance :) I Wonder what you will have in the process of trying to start playing.
If you all will run without errors, write here how you managed it :) I do everything as usual in the game.
This scenario I planned to post in the topic screenshots. And I wanted to show a video of gameplay from this map :) .
Attachments
GRF's.png
(592.84 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Landscape.rar
(69.93 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

STD wrote:
piratescooby wrote:

Regards,
STD (Aleksey).
Thank you for helping on my question :) I Have all necessary GRF, but the game why not define them. This is very strange. I copied them and put it in the newgrf folder. In any case, I was able to load your save game. Everything works. No errors. I did not understand why I can't play the scenario in this version of the game.
I then put the scenario file to solve the problem. Download it how game and check for the performance :) I Wonder what you will have in the process of trying to start playing.
If you all will run without errors, write here how you managed it :) I do everything as usual in the game.
This scenario I planned to post in the topic screenshots. And I wanted to show a video of gameplay from this map :) .
Looks good ,a bit small , 512k is the smallest I prefer , this maybe why the errors , will have a proper look later on the day ,may I suggest you swap farm objects for Auz Farm grf .As to why the grf errors well maybe someone else can answer .Will get back later.
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

piratescooby wrote:
STD wrote:
piratescooby wrote:
Looks good ,a bit small , 512k is the smallest I prefer , this maybe why the errors , will have a proper look later on the day ,may I suggest you swap farm objects for Auz Farm grf .As to why the grf errors well maybe someone else can answer .Will get back later.
Thanks for the reply. I spent a couple more tests on the test scenario with the least amount of GRF (see attachment with scenario). Then I started a new scenario and built a truck stop near the forest and sawmill. Then I ran one truck. After full loading of the truck went to the sawmill. But the truck never even drove all the way from the initial route, the game crashes. It looks quite funny and requires a clarification of the reasons from the developers. I now finally understand that it is very early new road types to implement in the release of the game. Usually just play on random map I couldn't catch until a similar bug with the crash. This only happens when creating a scenario.

Edit. I made a mistake. On the map randomly, it also occurs similarly in the scenario. I have done all the same steps. Happened game crash (see attached save game before the crash). I think it's the combination of different types of roads - dirt, stone, highway and gravel (see save game). But why is this happening, I honestly don't understand :? ...
Attachments
openttd-ratt-gbd698b91-road-and-tram-types-windows-win64 - test in scenario #3.rar
(306.13 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
openttd-ratt-gbd698b91-road-and-tram-types-windows-win64 - random map 128 x 128 #4.rar
(663.84 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

STD wrote:
piratescooby wrote:
STD wrote: Thank you for helping on my question :) I Have all necessary GRF, but the game why not define them. This is very strange. I copied them and put it in the newgrf folder. In any case, I was able to load your save game. Everything works. No errors. I did not understand why I can't play the scenario in this version of the game.
Thanks for the reply. I spent a couple more tests on the test scenario with the least amount of GRF (see attachment with scenario). Then I started a new scenario and built a truck stop near the forest and sawmill. Then I ran one truck. After full loading of the truck went to the sawmill. But the truck never even drove all the way from the initial route, the game crashes. It looks quite funny and requires a clarification of the reasons from the developers. I now finally understand that it is very early new road types to implement in the release of the game. Usually just play on random map I couldn't catch until a similar bug with the crash. This only happens when creating a scenario.

Edit. I made a mistake. On the map randomly, it also occurs similarly in the scenario. I have done all the same steps. Happened game crash (see attached save game before the crash). I think it's the combination of different types of roads - dirt, stone, highway and gravel (see save game). But why is this happening, I honestly don't understand :? ...
It appears to be as I suspected you are trying to use to small a map , step up a bit , seems to run ok on 256 +
Slenfingbridge Transport, 21st Aug 1950.sav
(104.86 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

piratescooby wrote:
STD wrote:
piratescooby wrote: Looks good ,a bit small , 512k is the smallest I prefer , this maybe why the errors , will have a proper look later on the day ,may I suggest you swap farm objects for Auz Farm grf .As to why the grf errors well maybe someone else can answer .Will get back later.

It appears to be as I suspected you are trying to use to small a map , step up a bit , seems to run ok on 256 +

You're right now completely :) . Everything works fine without crashes of the game. But all should be well on the map of any size, ranging from 64 to 64. And now somehow selectively running game with different types of roads. I have a scenario 2048 to 1024. I understand that the game will work without crashes? You play on maps what size on the current version of the game with the use of new types of roads?
Thanks again for the advice :) . Then I'll create a new scenario in the map with size of 256 +.
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

STD wrote:
piratescooby wrote:
STD wrote: Thanks for the reply. I spent a couple more tests on the test scenario with the least amount of GRF (see attachment with scenario). Then I started a new scenario and built a truck stop near the forest and sawmill. Then I ran one truck. After full loading of the truck went to the sawmill. But the truck never even drove all the way from the initial route, the game crashes. It looks quite funny and requires a clarification of the reasons from the developers. I now finally understand that it is very early new road types to implement in the release of the game. Usually just play on random map I couldn't catch until a similar bug with the crash. This only happens when creating a scenario.

You're right now completely :) . Everything works fine without crashes of the game. But all should be well on the map of any size, ranging from 64 to 64. And now somehow selectively running game with different types of roads. I have a scenario 2048 to 1024. I understand that the game will work without crashes? You play on maps what size on the current version of the game with the use of new types of roads?
Thanks again for the advice :) . Then I'll create a new scenario in the map with size of 256 +.
Seems to be the way the coders have chosen , I've been playing a lot on 512 x 512 , a good challenge I like is 256 x 2048 , Long and short routes , raw goods at one end factories at the other .
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

piratescooby wrote:
STD wrote:
piratescooby wrote:

Seems to be the way the coders have chosen , I've been playing a lot on 512 x 512 , a good challenge I like is 256 x 2048 , Long and short routes , raw goods at one end factories at the other .
I hear you. Thanks for the tips. I'll remember that. But I think developers should pay attention to the small maps in the game during the tests - 64 x 64, 128 x 128, 64 x 128, 64 x 256, 64 x 512, 128 x 256, 128 x 512. It is important to identify all failures and crashes.
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

I checked on the transition game crash on different size maps. Just going from 2-3 seconds to about 10 seconds. Then departure with the error message at line 181 in all cases:

Code: Select all

*** OpenTTD Crash Report ***

Crash at: Tue Nov 28 12:59:50 2017
In game date: 2000-01-24 (66)

Crash reason:
 Exception: E1212012
 Message:   Assertion failed at line 181 of c:\bamboo-agent-home\xml-data\build-dir\ottddev-ratt-w64bit\src\road_map.h: MayHaveRoad(t)

OpenTTD version:
 Version:    gbd698b91-road-and-tram-types (0)
 NewGRF ver: 18006d08
 Bits:       64
 Endian:     little
 Dedicated:  no
 Build date: Sep  6 2017 02:14:01
I did not yet test the map size to 2048 (2048х64 to 2048х4096) and 4096 (4096х64 to 4096х4096). But I think the result will be the same as in the previous tests. In the attachment is the test result (up to 64 x 64 to 64х4096, 128x64 to 128х4096, 512х64 to 512х4096, 1024х64 to 1024х4096) :) :
Attachments
openttd-ratt-gbd698b91-road-and-tram-types-windows-win64 64 and 128.rar
(12.49 MiB) Downloaded 133 times
openttd-ratt-gbd698b91-road-and-tram-types-windows-win64 256 and 512.rar
(23.51 MiB) Downloaded 132 times
Last edited by STD on 28 Nov 2017 13:27, edited 1 time in total.
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

1024x64 to 1024x4096:
Attachments
openttd-ratt-gbd698b91-road-and-tram-types-windows-win64 1024_1.rar
(8.27 MiB) Downloaded 139 times
openttd-ratt-gbd698b91-road-and-tram-types-windows-win64 1024_2.rar
(17 MiB) Downloaded 126 times
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

STD wrote:1024x64 to 1024x4096:
I am a bit busy at the moment , will check later on .
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

I am narrowing this error down in a incompatible grf.This one 64 x 512 running on 3rd year .
Tendstone Transport, 28th Mar 1953.sav
(57.87 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

piratescooby wrote:I am narrowing this error down in a incompatible grf.This one 64 x 512 running on 3rd year .
Perhaps as an option in the game it is better to apply only what you left in the save game :) . But honestly this is not enough in the game for me. But why interfere with the set of buses "Ikarus" and generic cars? I understand that HEQS could interfere.
And the most interesting how to find out what is in conflict or not between them? At least red was noted incompatible sets of GRF in the list.
You which sets are used in games? Also only those that are compatible in saves game?
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

STD wrote:
piratescooby wrote:I am narrowing this error down in a incompatible grf.This one 64 x 512 running on 3rd year .
Perhaps as an option in the game it is better to apply only what you left in the save game :) . But honestly this is not enough in the game for me. But why interfere with the set of buses "Ikarus" and generic cars? I understand that HEQS could interfere.
And the most interesting how to find out what is in conflict or not between them? At least red was noted incompatible sets of GRF in the list.
You which sets are used in games? Also only those that are compatible in saves game?
As with all forks ,new grfs there is going to problems .Sacrifices will have to be made as the choice of working grfs .Tried most of the night , worked/did not work ,there is a conflict .Need to get the Author involved .Nars and xussr grfs work ok as does Br trains , these are my favourite at the moment ,GarryG's grfs all seem ok even his Industry set ,I love his work ,keeps updating and coming up with new grfs ,vtol and ekraoplan and was grf all ok . Will check RV and Trams sets the day also candy grfs .I do a lot of my computer work on beefed up Laptops ,this one at the moment is a window 10 pro 64 bit 32gb 4Mz twin grafic card Alienware 18 inch ,the other I use is a 16gb beefed up I mac .Both of which I reduce at time to see the effect of running on earlier versions of operating systems .
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

piratescooby wrote:
STD wrote:
As with all forks ,new grfs there is going to problems .Sacrifices will have to be made as the choice of working grfs .Tried most of the night , worked/did not work ,there is a conflict .Need to get the Author involved .Nars and xussr grfs work ok as does Br trains , these are my favourite at the moment ,GarryG's grfs all seem ok even his Industry set ,I love his work ,keeps updating and coming up with new grfs ,vtol and ekraoplan and was grf all ok . Will check RV and Trams sets the day also candy grfs .I do a lot of my computer work on beefed up Laptops ,this one at the moment is a window 10 pro 64 bit 32gb 4Mz twin grafic card Alienware 18 inch ,the other I use is a 16gb beefed up I mac .Both of which I reduce at time to see the effect of running on earlier versions of operating systems .
Just going to pop in and say I have no idea what is going on here... Is something being caused by my grf?
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

supermop wrote:
piratescooby wrote:
STD wrote: Perhaps as an option in the game it is better to apply only what you left in the save game :) . But honestly this is not enough in the game for me. But why interfere with the set of buses "Ikarus" and generic cars? I understand that HEQS could interfere.
Just going to pop in and say I have no idea what is going on here... Is something being caused by my grf?
I honestly can't say what exactly your GRF caused a game crash. But in this version not all GRF combined. While in other versions of OpenTTD I had no problems with the use of different GRF sets. I think it's worth checking compatibility with other sets. I can tell you that your set of transport moprv46.grf compatible for sure with polroad.grf. Game crash is not observed. But using the other sets the game stops to work steadily, constantly appears the crash. Examples: using ikarus set, generic car, heqs, eyecandy road vehicles-1.1. With these sets I can't play, always crash. Sets of different objects can't seem to be the cause of the crash. Similar to train sets. Piratescooby is already tested in part. He was checking on the most frequently used in the game sets: Nars and xussr grfs work ok as does Br trains, GarryG's grfs all seem ok even his Industry set, keeps updating and coming up with new grfs ,vtol and ekraoplan and was grf all ok. He will check RV and Trams sets the day also candy grfs. The conclusion here is this: it is necessary to check the most commonly used sets of transport for compatibility at the time of the crash. I still think that we must look the source code of new roads. The game often crashes with the same error on line 181:

Code: Select all

*** OpenTTD Crash Report ***

Crash at: Tue Nov 28 12:59:50 2017
In game date: 2000-01-24 (66)

Crash reason:
 Exception: E1212012
 Message:   Assertion failed at line 181 of c:\bamboo-agent-home\xml-data\build-dir\ottddev-ratt-w64bit\src\road_map.h: MayHaveRoad(t)

OpenTTD version:
 Version:    gbd698b91-road-and-tram-types (0)
 NewGRF ver: 18006d08
 Bits:       64
 Endian:     little
 Dedicated:  no
 Build date: Sep  6 2017 02:14:01

Return to “Graphics Development”