Titanic

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Mayer
Engineer
Engineer

Titanic

Post by Mayer »

First post, first grf :D

TITANIC
titanic.png
titanic.png (13.76 KiB) Viewed 4609 times
The famous Ocean Liner in OTTD

Features: sizeable ship, realistic cargo capacity, refittable to Mail, correct smoke animation, real horn sound, written in NML
[+] Spoiler
Titanic_info.png
Titanic_info.png (15.86 KiB) Viewed 4609 times
fits nicely in build menu
base cost ~1/10 of real price (7,5 Mio.), balanced with FISH
Mail capacity: 760 (m³ of storage room onboard)

Disclaimer: I did not paint this sprite, it's based on a Civ3 sprite by Orthanc
Attachments
titanic.grf
v0.1
(554.92 KiB) Downloaded 465 times
Mayer
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Titanic

Post by Mayer »

No clipping under bridges
No clipping under bridges
titanic_2.png (46.74 KiB) Viewed 4608 times
Attachments
with newgrf
with newgrf
titanic_3.png (61.97 KiB) Viewed 4608 times
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

A nice ship to get into Openttd!

However... It needs more tweaking...
The purple pixels that can be seen at some of the edges, the dark/black pixels around the chimneys and the not too good looking rigging...
It is obvious that it is somehow cut out from something...
But with some more tweaking (or using better source-graphics) that can be fixed.

But that brings up another issue:
Disclaimer: I did not paint this sprite, it's based on a Civ3 sprite by Orthanc
The dreaded C-word... ;-)
Copyright...

Did the original artist provide a license, that allows others to use his work? Or did you get personal permission from the original artist to use his work?
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Mayer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mayer »

Since HOI-modders were using CIv3-Sprites, I assumed they were Fair Use.
And my attempt at drawing her was rather dreadful :D
However... It needs more tweaking...
The purple pixels that can be seen at some of the edges, the dark/black pixels around the chimneys and the not too good looking rigging...
It is obvious that it is somehow cut out from something...
But with some more tweaking (or using better source-graphics) that can be fixed.
Yea, it's a rather rough edit and needs some tweaking, the original source (Civ3) had purple background and shadows which OTTD doesn't know.

I also thought about adding 2CC and making the real "White Star Line" livery a extra option,
and modifying the ship to make a whole set of Ocean Liners who looked very much alike, especially at 8bpp.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

the original source (Civ3) had purple background and shadows which OTTD doesn't know.
Yeah, thats the main problem with trying to convert Civ3 graphics to OpenTTD. Most attempts then dont really "fit" into OpenTTD's style.
These graphics though are rather close to it, so using them as inspiration and for determining the general shape (lenght/width/hight) is ok (that is how you can credit Orthanc then and you wont have copyright issues).

Maybe a way to go is by looking at some of the existing shipping sets, deriving a hull from those (by taking an existing hull and resize/reshape that, more fitting Titanics hull), for example from one of the larger freightships of FISH/SQUID.
For the superstructure you could look at the passengerships of FISH/SQUID or those from the WSF Ferryset (sources can be found in the .zip): viewtopic.php?f=26&t=59499&hilit=ferry+ ... 0#p1108158
Those sets are GPL-licensed, so as long as you also comply with that license, you can freely use/copy their graphics.

Regarding the rigging, start out with just the masts, the wiring may possibly even not be visible in such an OpenTTD-scaled down ship and could always be added later (or in an extra zoomlevel) ;-)

Orthancs graphics you can then use to compare your work with, to see if you get close to that.

A very good thing is that you already are able to code, so you can check the graphics ingame yourself, to see if they fit in better.

So, a bit more work than using Civ3 graphics, but probably worth the effort (make it easier for yourself by copying existing stuff from those GPL-licensed sets), I think a lot of people would love to use the Titanic in their games!!

EDIT: To be on the safe side though, I would recommend to remove your first version of the GRF....
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Ditto. Unless you have explicit permission to use it or unless it was explicitly published under a license that allows you to modify and distribute it, then it's contraband.

Return to “Graphics Releases”