Iron Ore Mine stopped producing?

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Relzta
Engineer
Engineer

Iron Ore Mine stopped producing?

Post by Relzta »

Hey everyone :D

For school I choose your game to analysing / understanding and at the end adding or changing a part to / of the program.

I started a lot of times to understand how the game works and meanwhile I think i have a system I can work with :)

Actually i have a problem:
My Truck-Loading-Bays doesn't stack Iron / load Iron Trucks anymore. Why is it?
I'm talking about the Loading-Bays "Fort Frindtown Mines" and "Fort Frindtown Station #36".

Would love to get some help and not to restart the game ;)

Kind regards and thank you so far!
~Dominick
Attachments
No Iron any more.sav
(42.25 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Iron Ore Mine stopped producing?

Post by Alberth »

There is an upper limit of 2 iirc on the number of stations that get cargo from an industry (could also be 3, but it's pretty low).

Adding more stations thus doesn't work. You should make bigger stations instead.
Simplest is if the bays touch each other, then they automatically belong to the same station (although you can prevent that from happening as well).
Otherwise, you can use distant join if you have it enabled (not sure it is by default, but just try it).

While placing a new bay not touching another bay, hold control while placing it. You;ll get a window where you can select the station it should attach to.
This way you can make bigger stations that don't touch each other. There is also a disadvantage though, it really is a single station, trucks won't go for a specific bay, but any bay of the same station.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Relzta
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Relzta »

Thank you very much for answering that fast!

I started the iron ore collecting with the four Stations around as two combined stations. So i had four places i could collect iron ores. Because i realised, that every station gets it's own amount of iron ores i tried to make more different stations with splitting two stations to two different ones like i did in the south of the iron mine.
So... do i understand right, that the amount of "goods" so i mean iron ores is not depending on the number of stations i build on? the more statios i build the same amount of iron ore splits between the stations?
Does the same count for Bus Stations? Because as you could see in my first savegame i spaced Bus Stations and they got crowded as hell, no matter if i build more stations around the crowded one.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

As far as I know, the same distribution principle is applied everywhere.
The difference with passengers is that they come from houses, ie you have a zillion small producers of passengers in your city. That works the same as having 20 iron ore mines nearby. Yes, you'd get swamped with ore then :)
Relzta
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Relzta »

Thank you very much!

is there any option to influence the amount of production?
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Stuff balances by itself, if you provide worse service, less cargo or passengers will show up. If you provide good service more cargo or passengers show up.
For passengers, this doesn't quite work, there are just too many producers around in a city. Other options are building a passenger station somewhat outside town, so you have fewer houses around to provide passengers. Unless you have city expansion disabled, this will only temporarily help, as cities love to build houses in serviced areas :p

You can get passenger count down, but don't bother trying buses, you need long fast trains that are constantly loading on more than one platform.
The other options of course are to just ignore passenger counts at stations (they don't make sense anyway), or (what I do) totally ignore passenger and mail servicing.

For the default set, that's about it.

If you add NewGRFs there is a whole new world on options available. NewGRF industry sets have different mechanics for providing and accepting cargo, and passenger-fix GRFs exist as well (I never bothered to look at them, so no idea what exists there).

There should be a NewGRF list page on the Wiki to give you a starting point. When starting with NewGRFs, set-up only a few at a time for a game, to make it easier to understand what each GRF is doing.
Relzta
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Relzta »

thank you again for the answer :)

Actually i meant the amount of resources. I tried to concentrate on Iron Ores first to optimise the transport around that. But what saw, is, that the amount of iron ores produced in the lat months just decreased over long term of watching. last note i took was 333 iron ores per month, actually I'm down to ~200. Does the production decrease with the years transporting iron ores?

I try to just take the basics, because i need to explain everything else too. So every extension will make my work in this project harder +.+
Benny
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Benny »

Alberth wrote:Stuff balances by itself, if you provide worse service, less cargo or passengers will show up. If you provide good service more cargo or passengers show up.
Alberth already answered this. :)

More specifically, this refers to your station ratings: https://wiki.openttd.org/Game_mechanics#Station_rating

If you have too few vehicles serving the industry and cargo piles up at the station, ratings go down. If you have a lot of vehicles serving it and don't let cargo pile up, ratings go up. It's a good idea to keep at least one vehicle waiting for cargo at the station at all times to boost ratings. There are also some other factors that you can read above.
Relzta
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Relzta »

thank you very much for answering!

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”