Why are you a gamer

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

enviousbored
Engineer
Engineer

Why are you a gamer

Post by enviousbored »

Why do you play Transport Tycoon and some other games?
I play it to relieve from stress and to kill time. It also makes me feel better whenever I (link removed)
Last edited by Chrill on 16 Oct 2017 06:38, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Removed link
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: Why are you a gamer

Post by Gwyd »

I like to play with friends, and I find the non-rushed gameplay rather relaxing. Also, when I do well it is very satisfying.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Some would say playing games release stress and such, but keep in mind games like Transport Tycoon or city simulation are actually quite thinking-intensive (at least, on first) ! TBH I usually start the whole thing "eh, let's have some break" and then ending "oh dear the whole thing would collapse" or "oh that's exciting let's think how to make it the best" and then carrying on thinking about it long after. Trouble with such simulations is that once you've reached a "critical" mass, no matter what happens your game isn't going to "fail" (bankrupt or something) no matter how bad your decisions are. So they do get boring a bit.

The most mindless game I've ever done is probably truck sims. Yeah, you get to drive and such, but driving IRL is just as mindless really, bar the occasional ranting or near miss. Plane sims are boring during the set-up and cruise. Train sim, depends on what's in there, could range from full-on paying attention (like the cheeky PZB) or simply like driving (British AWS comes to mind).

In the between comes standard things like arcade or somesuch. Have less of them though.

It's probably why I just enjoy watching videos now ?
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

How else can I see something like this...?
Attachments
TransportFever1930.jpg
(1.58 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Rookie of the Year: 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Why not? Gotta do something. Now, I'm too old to run around the forest building secret bases and building small dams (shame, but apparently it's not socially acceptable) so I have to have my adventures virtually. And I prefer the slightly "active" consumption of games over the entirely passive consumption of movies.
Bad Hair Day
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bad Hair Day »

I play games to distract me from all the things I'm supposed to be doing like working hard, staying fit, and being respectable human being. Escapism is one hell of a drug and a cheap one at that.
My OpenTTD screenshot thread.

Formerly known as Lankku / 2-10-0
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Because in videogames, anything is possible.

I mean do raindrops do this on your car's windshield? Didn't think so.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

It's a distraction from my depression and the futility and pointlessness of life.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

I used to be a gamer because I'd been deprived of any sort of PC until my teens, and it was fun "catching up" by trying to cram everything ever released prior to 1998. Hence my love of Transport Tycoon and Total Annhiliation. Used to live off Demo discs too! My first FPS was a Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith demo!

Now I just do it for the occasional bit of entertainment, but way less than I used to. When I do it's mostly for story reasons.
skippern
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by skippern »

I’m not a gamer, I play games where I can make maps, levels, AIs, scripts, patches, modules, etc.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Skippern
OpenTTD Mac user
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Denial is not healthy, ya know.
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

I blame my family.
Dad worked as a PL/I developer.
Mum had some work at some point with DEFRA in IT (Now we get questions like "why is my mouse behaving funny?" - she was holding it the wrong way).
Eldest sister knows all sorts of stuff about edgy IT topics (I'm thinking things like Ruby [on Rails]).
Brother now works for a virtualisation shop.
I now work in IT for Clarkes Transport.
The odd one out is my second-eldest sister who works doing admin stuff for college.
Last known as: Weirdy

Return to “Off-Topic”