What video games have you played lately?

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Chrill

Re: What video games have you played lately?

Post by Chrill »

Pilot wrote:So, so far I've ordered F1 2017, The Crew 2, Forza Horizon 3 and Dirt 4 for the Xbone, will be ordering some more after Pay day, because I am officially poor now :P
I'd happily play you at Forza or Dirt. I don't own F1 2017 :)
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Chrill wrote:
Pilot wrote:So, so far I've ordered F1 2017, The Crew 2, Forza Horizon 3 and Dirt 4 for the Xbone, will be ordering some more after Pay day, because I am officially poor now :P
Well, those two just arrived today, so soon I can show you how awful a driver I am :lol: I do need to set-up Xbox Live, again, probably after pay day (I'm guessing you pay for it like Playstation Network?). Also, I don't own F1 2017 yet either, just pre-ordered it :P
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Pilot wrote:
Chrill wrote:
Well, those two just arrived today, so soon I can show you how awful a driver I am :lol: I do need to set-up Xbox Live, again, probably after pay day (I'm guessing you pay for it like Playstation Network?). Also, I don't own F1 2017 yet either, just pre-ordered it :P
You can win like this, no matter how terrible you are:

I got myself a Nintendo Switch this week, have been playing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and also have Breath of the Wild to play. And when on PC some Shadow of Mordor.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I've installed an emulator for Road Rash II on my PC (the better game in the series :mrgreen: ). This is proper nostalgia. Great music too.
My Scenarios:
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Seems that instead of watching down upon a network of trains, I rather be in the cab behind the controls of one.
Attachments
1000hoursplayed2.png
1000hoursplayed2.png (39.12 KiB) Viewed 13616 times
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

I guess this belongs here... Mild Excitement is beginning, should hopefully come tomorrow (Release day), but I also know that Royal Mail are completely crap :lol: (Address and Order Number hidden for obvious reasons).
Mild Excitement!.PNG
Mild Excitement!.PNG (76.56 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Pilot wrote:I guess this belongs here... Mild Excitement is beginning, should hopefully come tomorrow (Release day), but I also know that Royal Mail are completely crap :lol: (Address and Order Number hidden for obvious reasons).
Mild Excitement!.PNG
You are in fact Cameron Diaz, yes?
My Scenarios:
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Chrill wrote:
Pilot wrote:I guess this belongs here... Mild Excitement is beginning, should hopefully come tomorrow (Release day), but I also know that Royal Mail are completely crap :lol: (Address and Order Number hidden for obvious reasons).
Mild Excitement!.PNG
You are in fact Cameron Diaz, yes?
I wish, I wouldn't mind a quarter of the success she's had in her life!
rbos86
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by rbos86 »

Currently learning how to play AGe of Empires 3, just to do something different. I know AoE with Roman Expansion, and I loved that one. AoE3 is different but better graphics. Never gave the game a thought until recently.
It's not bad at all.
rbos86' Screenshots thread is here
rbos86' Unrealistic Dutch games -thread, on the other hand,is this button
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

rbos86 wrote:Currently learning how to play AGe of Empires 3, just to do something different. I know AoE with Roman Expansion, and I loved that one. AoE3 is different but better graphics. Never gave the game a thought until recently.
It's not bad at all.
They did recently announce Age of Empires 4 :)
http://4k.com/microsoft-announces-age-o ... n-21097-2/
My Scenarios:
rbos86
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by rbos86 »

Chrill wrote:
rbos86 wrote:Currently learning how to play AGe of Empires 3, just to do something different. I know AoE with Roman Expansion, and I loved that one. AoE3 is different but better graphics. Never gave the game a thought until recently.
It's not bad at all.
They did recently announce Age of Empires 4 :)
http://4k.com/microsoft-announces-age-o ... n-21097-2/
I heard about it also, a day ago maybe, I don't know where.
Thanks for the link. But I need to save some money for a better (newer) computer, so it won't happen for me soon. I'll let you know about the game in a couple of years from now. :) 8)
rbos86' Screenshots thread is here
rbos86' Unrealistic Dutch games -thread, on the other hand,is this button
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation is on sale on Steam, half price. State-of-the-Art RTS if you have the right hardware.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

MINIMUM:
Processor: Quad-core Intel / AMD Processor
Memory: 6 GB RAM
Graphics: 2 GB GDDR5 NVidia GeForce 660 / AMD R7 360 or better (GeForce 900+ / Radeon 290+ for Vulkan)
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 27 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Sound Card
Additional Notes: 1920x1080 Display Resolution or Higher
The human race has expanded into the galaxy thanks to the wonders of the technological singularity. You have become so powerful that you can manage vast armies across an entire world that provide you with an ever greater galactic empire.

Now, humanity is under assault by a new enemy. Calling themselves the Substrate, they seek to annihilate the human race from existence. You, as an up and coming member of the Post-Human Coalition, must deal with both this new menace as well as renegade humans trying to lay claim to their own worlds.

Play as the Post Human Coalition or their eternal foes the Substrate and battle for control of the galaxy. Experience maps of unprecedented size and detail with the unparalleled power of the world’s first native 64-bit RTS engine, Nitrous.
Rookie of the Year: 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

Train<In>Vain wrote:Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation is on sale on Steam, half price. State-of-the-Art RTS if you have the right hardware.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

MINIMUM:
Processor: Quad-core Intel / AMD Processor
Memory: 6 GB RAM
Graphics: 2 GB GDDR5 NVidia GeForce 660 / AMD R7 360 or better (GeForce 900+ / Radeon 290+ for Vulkan)
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 27 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Sound Card
Additional Notes: 1920x1080 Display Resolution or Higher
The human race has expanded into the galaxy thanks to the wonders of the technological singularity. You have become so powerful that you can manage vast armies across an entire world that provide you with an ever greater galactic empire.

Now, humanity is under assault by a new enemy. Calling themselves the Substrate, they seek to annihilate the human race from existence. You, as an up and coming member of the Post-Human Coalition, must deal with both this new menace as well as renegade humans trying to lay claim to their own worlds.

Play as the Post Human Coalition or their eternal foes the Substrate and battle for control of the galaxy. Experience maps of unprecedented size and detail with the unparalleled power of the world’s first native 64-bit RTS engine, Nitrous.
I still prefer Supreme Commander. That's the best RTS I've played to date still.
Last known as: Weirdy
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Speaking of RTS games, Tooth and Tail just came out on Steam, from some streams I've watched it looks really really good. The premise is absolutely fantastic and the gameplay seems really solid and unique to boot.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

SkeedR wrote: I still prefer Supreme Commander. That's the best RTS I've played to date still.
Some relevant info from one of the lead developers of Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation
So in essence, this game continues to evolve week by week through sales.

The only question is whether enough people are on board with the long-term vision for this game:

1. 5 different races.
2. Lots of forms of movement (hovering, walking, tracks, crawling)
3. Naval warfare with oceans and seas.
4. Sophisticated intergalactic metagame.
5. More economic options (i.e. different types of economies based on race)
6. More base building options
7. Fortifications (like walls, etc.)
8. More strategic and tactical options (transport units, more specialized units)
9. More start-up configurability (customize your race to decide what units you have)
10. Better mod support so people can use Ashes to do total conversions.

All 10 of those things cost money to do. And they're funded via sales of the base game and DLC.

People should buy games for whatever reasons they want. But when someone says they should just by SupCom or PA or whatever, they should also know that those games will never get another update.
With that in mind, 20 bucks is a pittance of an investment in an RTS which is already pretty awesome and has truly epic potential.
Rookie of the Year: 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

Train<In>Vain wrote:
SkeedR wrote: I still prefer Supreme Commander. That's the best RTS I've played to date still.
Some relevant info from one of the lead developers of Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation
So in essence, this game continues to evolve week by week through sales.

The only question is whether enough people are on board with the long-term vision for this game:

1. 5 different races.
2. Lots of forms of movement (hovering, walking, tracks, crawling)
3. Naval warfare with oceans and seas.
4. Sophisticated intergalactic metagame.
5. More economic options (i.e. different types of economies based on race)
6. More base building options
7. Fortifications (like walls, etc.)
8. More strategic and tactical options (transport units, more specialized units)
9. More start-up configurability (customize your race to decide what units you have)
10. Better mod support so people can use Ashes to do total conversions.

All 10 of those things cost money to do. And they're funded via sales of the base game and DLC.

People should buy games for whatever reasons they want. But when someone says they should just by SupCom or PA or whatever, they should also know that those games will never get another update.
With that in mind, 20 bucks is a pittance of an investment in an RTS which is already pretty awesome and has truly epic potential.
I've already got Ashes, which is why I maintain my stance. Ashes just feels... weird.
Last known as: Weirdy
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

What's your favorite Juggernaut?
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Okay so I managed to beat Tooth and Tail. It wasn't easy.

It's the bees knees, but not for everyone. It's really fast for an RTS, matches/missions are over in under 15 minutes, ranked 1v1 games I've played were in the 3-7 minute range. This is great for me as I tend to get really stressed playing PvP RTS for too long, and besides I'm perfectly used to shorter matches in multiplayer games, but if you're looking for huge glorious battles lasting at least 30 minutes this isn't your game.

One of the great things is that playing with a gamepad doesn't handicap you in any way, which is monumental for RTS. Even more impressive is they actually kept all the nuance, the little micromanagement techniques that Starcraft players use are all there and much less demanding to execute. You can focus fire, kite, pull fodder out in front and artillery in the back, all with a thumbstick and two triggers, and it doesn't feel clunky at all - in fact I much prefer not having to assign any control groups or do awkward box selection to pull these off. Macromanagement has been streamlined as well so there's no need to manually select buildings and queue unit production, it all happens automatically and you just decide between building structures and selling them. Might sound like you'd run into problems with units building when you don't want them to, but you can sell them for full refund instead so no problems there. The overlaying strategy is still present - same old decisions between going eco or aggro, whether to take early expansion or stay on one, between mass Tier 1 or rushing Tier 3. You can turtle, you can rush. Everything as usual.

As for the story campaign, it's dark and great, with some neat twists. The missions themselves are nicely varied, but the difficulty ramps up quickly. It's definitely not the type of game where you storm through every mission on the first try, by the end of the campaign you'll be pretty much used to your first try on a mission being you trying to get a feel of what's being demanded of you, then the next 3 tries will be spent trying out different strategies. Very different, but neat. Short mission length ensures you never feel like you lost much progress when you lose.

It's different from most RTS, yet oddly familiar. I guess a good way to put it would be it's streamlined in an eccentric yet very efficient manner. It controls differently, it's faster and more focused, but still the same old beast. Did they have to sacrifice a lot of what makes RTS games fun to make it work? In my opinion, not at all. However, if you don't care for the gameplay or the competitive aspect of RTS games and just want to build a lot of tanks and roll over the enemy, you're probably better off getting something like, I dunno, Ashes of the Singularity? :wink:

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

Recently been playing Transport Fever, Mashinky, Rocket League and Dungeons of Dredmor (I'm currently at level 15 fighting the man himself).
On my Switch I'm still playing Zelda BotW but I've preordered the Switch version of Farm Sim, which I'm very excited about. Still wondering if I should get the new Mario, too.
Mostly I've been playing Animal Crossing New Leaf though, that has even thrown Pokémon Sapphire Ruby out of my 3DS.
SkeedR wrote:I still prefer Supreme Commander. That's the best RTS I've played to date still.

SupCom was great, I'm unsure if it's better than Total Annihilation though. And speaking of new RTS, I'm still having to test that Titans addon/rerelease but what a disappointment was Planetary Annihilation.
My personal alltime favourites are still C&C Tiberian Sun and Warhammer Dawn of War 1. So many hours spent on those two alone.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I recently participated in a playtest at Paradox Interactive's offices here in Stockholm. As a thank you, I got a steam code for Hearts of Iron IV. Anyone play it?

It's incredibly difficult, so I decided to play a minor nation (Sweden!) and side with a major nation (THE NAZIS!!!) in order to get some security. Turning Sweden fascist was rather easy, and after a Swedish civil war we had a fascist dictatorship in Sweden. I conquered Norway easily, and then turned my eyes on Finland at the same time as the Soviet Union did.

Bam, World War II starts. And you know, I'm with the Nazis. So the British invade me. That was painful, and I struggled just to defend my shores. Now, I have driven them out of Sweden but lack the power to launch a counter offensive with what them being an island and all. I fly lots of bombers over southeast England though, so that's neat.

Any tips on how to make it across the channel? I don't understand naval warfare and I pretty much don't understand airborne warfare either. I barely understand troop movements despite the tutorial, so that's a negative...
My Scenarios:

Return to “Off-Topic”