Australian Railway Stations

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Australian Railway Stations

Post by GarryG »

Been asked if I could mention about the:

Vera Deacon Regional History Fund.

Gionni who gave me permission to use old photographs for my projects sent me this email.
Hi Garry,

No worries.

If you can, give the Vera Deacon Regional History Fund a plug to your audience.

Vera is a Stockton pensioner who has been donating to us since 2001 to help archive and digitise historic photographs and documents relating to Newcastle and the Hunter Region etc.

She, and her fellow donors, have been able to provide paid employment to our volunteers, who come in every day to digitise material that goes up online to the wider community through the Uni, in high resolution, and for free!

So we want to encourage people to support it. If you can spread the word, we’d really appreciate it.

https://uoncc.wordpress.com/vera-deacon-fund/

Regards, and best wishes,

Gionni
Without the help of these old photos many of the projects I about to do would never get done.

Thanks fellas

Cheers

Garry
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
Nondidjos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nondidjos »

Oh my! these all look so great! That sydney terminal reminds me of Liege's train station here in belgium, also one of the first time I ever see shadows with buildings, thats a thing? Eitherway, keep up the good work, cant wait to see more :D
I sprite sometimes, currently working on the BTS (Belgian Train Set) and a World War GRF (kinda).

Discord; 'nondidjos#8585
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Nondidjos wrote:Oh my! these all look so great!
Thanks pal, hehe they not suppose to be shadows under the Coal Loader but spilt coal.

But I over did it so changed them a bit.

This is where I up to with the Coal Loader so far.
Coal Loader.png
Coal Loader.png (9.92 KiB) Viewed 2756 times
Be a few days now before can do any more.

Compare it with photo previous page/

Cheers
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

This is very close to how the Killingworth Coal Loader will look when it is completed.

Based on Photos I have access to in 1903 to 1910.
Killingworth Coal Loader.png
Killingworth Coal Loader.png (20.2 KiB) Viewed 2666 times
The far building is from the FIRS 1.4.3 Industry Set .. I hope to include this so blend in with the Coal Mines that come with Firs and my own Industry set.

The 1st 4 sections to left where the railway lines go act as platforms. The first one is the arrival road for empties .. they proceed out the back to storage sidings where they wait till one of the other 3 roads become available for loading.

If you look at photo on previous page you will see coal wagons .. some loading with big pieces of coal and the wagons that have access to the far line have crash or screen coal.

The rest will be the station or non-track tiles.

Could be Friday before I will have chance to finish it.

Cheers
Soot Happens
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

What you have there (see photo) is a "mine shaft tower", not a "coal loader". And it would be part of a mine, not of a station. Just my 2cc.

regards
Michael
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

michael blunck wrote:What you have there (see photo) is a "mine shaft tower", not a "coal loader
I don't mind people pointing things out as often get some good ideas from them. 2cc's are welcome.

I put the mine shaft tower in the non-track tiles so it joins with the rest where coal is loaded into coal hoppers so all can be used together. I presume it brings coal to the building and possibly onto conveyor belts in the building and from there to the wagons.

Here's another photo of what I making.
Killingworth Collerie 1903_02.png
Killingworth Collerie 1903_02.png (66.49 KiB) Viewed 2660 times
Like to have a go making a second one of the Glebe Pit.
Glebe Pit.png
Glebe Pit.png (46.45 KiB) Viewed 2660 times
Soot Happens
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

GarryG wrote:
mb wrote: What you have there (see photo) is a "mine shaft tower", not a "coal loader
I don't mind people pointing things out as often get some good ideas from them. 2cc's are welcome.

I put the mine shaft tower in the non-track tiles [...]
You forgot the main part of my quote:
mb wrote: And it would be part of a mine, not of a station
What I liked to point out is that a mine shaft tower is part of an industry, and hence should be part of an industry set in game. It is not part of a station and hence shouldn´t be part of a station set. We´re trying hard to put things in their proper sets and to not mix them without good reason, just to avoid confusion and collisions.

If you feel a need for some loading installation as part of a station set, you should include fitting equipment for it. E.g., some cranes, belt conveyors, etc. But not something which is clearly out of place in the given context. Just 2cc more.

regards
Michael
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

michael blunck wrote:You forgot the main part of my quote:
Knew what you meant .. just I no good at answering it clearer.
michael blunck wrote:If you feel a need for some loading installation as part of a station set, you should include fitting equipment for it. E.g., some cranes, belt conveyors, etc.
Will have a look into that idea. See what will look good and also look like it connected to the Coal Mines.

Cheers pal
Soot Happens
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

GarryG wrote:I put the mine shaft tower in the non-track tiles so it joins with the rest where coal is loaded into coal hoppers so all can be used together. I presume it brings coal to the building and possibly onto conveyor belts in the building and from there to the wagons.
I think it looks OK as part of the station. Trying to integrate it into an industry and then trying to get the industry to integrate w/ the station (especially if you're not using both) would just look weird, IMO. It would improve the look of non-FIRS mining industries.
Nondidjos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nondidjos »

GarryG wrote:
Nondidjos wrote:Oh my! these all look so great!
Thanks pal, hehe they not suppose to be shadows under the Coal Loader but spilt coal.

But I over did it so changed them a bit.

This is where I up to with the Coal Loader so far.
Coal Loader.png

Be a few days now before can do any more.

Compare it with photo previous page/

Cheers
Really nice, looking forward to play with these new ones :D
I sprite sometimes, currently working on the BTS (Belgian Train Set) and a World War GRF (kinda).

Discord; 'nondidjos#8585
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

kamnet wrote:
GarryG wrote:I put the mine shaft tower in the non-track tiles so it joins with the rest where coal is loaded into coal hoppers so all can be used together. I presume it brings coal to the building and possibly onto conveyor belts in the building and from there to the wagons.
I think it looks OK as part of the station. Trying to integrate it into an industry and then trying to get the industry to integrate w/ the station (especially if you're not using both) would just look weird, IMO. It would improve the look of non-FIRS mining industries.
I totally agree with Kamnet.
Furthermore I dont see anything wrong with (the same looking) graphics being available in multiple ways, so as Industry, Object and/or Station.
But others may disagree, however as a player you still have the choice to not use them and I think having that choice is still better then limiting the creativity a GRF-developer by saying that certain graphics should only be available in certain "proper" sets...
So, in short, dont like it? Dont use it..

On-topic:

I think the building is placed incorrectly on the tile. It is now at the closest edge of the tile, while the tower is in the middle. It looks to me that in the original graphics the tower probably also reaches the ground at the closest edge of the tile.
As in this case the tower is in the middle, I think the the "mouth"/opening of the building should also be in the center of the tile...

What I do agree with with Michael is that to me also the tower looks more like a Mine shaft tower rather than some sort of loader, because of its height.
If you move it more to the right (so closer to the building) and then lower it, you will still keep the same angle for the conveyor-belt, but it will look less like a mineshaft tower and it will look more like the "real" thing.
Looking at one of the pictures you posted, you can see that the hight of the tower above the roof is roughly the same (or even a bitt less) hight as the structure under it, right now its a lot higher than the structure under it.
See this picture, the green arrow is shorter than the red one:
Example356.png
Example356.png (282.09 KiB) Viewed 2619 times
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Quast65 wrote: What I do agree with with Michael is that to me also the tower looks more like a Mine shaft tower rather than some sort of loader, because of its height.
It IS a mine shaft tower. It has nothing to do with loading trains (the photo depicts a collerie). That´s what I´m talking about.

regards
Michael
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

michael blunck wrote:
Quast65 wrote: What I do agree with with Michael is that to me also the tower looks more like a Mine shaft tower rather than some sort of loader, because of its height.
It IS a mine shaft tower. It has nothing to do with loading trains (the photo depicts a collerie). That´s what I´m talking about.

regards
Michael
I may misunderstand you, but I still dont see the issue.
What is wrong with coding structures that are not directly used for loading trains as stations?
Almost every station-set has buildings/structures that are not directly used for loading trains as extra eyecandy (and the benefit of enlarging the catchment area of the station).

What I see here is an attempt of putting a very nice historical industrial looking site (including its loading facilities and surrounding buildings that may have nothing to do with loading trains, but complete the site) into the game, in this case offered as station-tiles.
It may need some work to make it look more accurate, but it is still in development, so thats ok. Pointers/suggestions to making it look more accurate will probably be appreciated.

All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Quast65 wrote: I may misunderstand you, but I still dont see the issue.
What is wrong with coding structures that are not directly used for loading trains as stations?
I think you´re misinterpreting the photo as a "coal loader". What can be seen on that photo is not a "coal loader", but it is the mine shaft tower of the collerie being shown.

A "coal loader" (i.e., a (large) system used for loading coal wagons) would look quite different than a mine shaft tower. And btw, coal loading here is done in the shed on the left.

Just my 2cc, o/c you may draw and code what you like, and also give it names as you please.

regards
Michael
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

michael blunck wrote:
Quast65 wrote: I may misunderstand you, but I still dont see the issue.
I think you´re misinterpreting the photo as a "coal loader". What can be seen on that photo is not a "coal loader", but it is the mine shaft tower of the collerie being shown.

A "coal loader" (i.e., a (large) system used for loading coal wagons) would look quite different than a mine shaft tower. And btw, coal loading here is done in the shed on the left.

Just my 2cc, o/c you may draw and code what you like, and also give it names as you please.

regards
Michael
If it is a mineshaft tower, then I can see what you're getting at. The building is concealing what is an elevator for coal, not a loading chute. The trains would have either been loaded by hand, or there is a coal loader but there is also a mineshaft tower to get it up there.

Here's my take: The tower, in this case, specifically exists because of the station (or the station was built there because the vertical mineshaft was already there). Make the building a proper mineshaft tower and find out if there was an automatic coal loader or they loaded it by hand. Either way, the shaft is still part of the station because they co-exist and require each other. The only issue is giving better graphics and the right name.

As with everyone else, 2 cents from what little I know about mining and using logic to figure out what you're talking about.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

SimYouLater wrote: If it is a mineshaft tower, then I can see what you're getting at.
It is. You can clearly see the hoist house on the right and the cables (and what do you think that chimney is for?)
SimYouLater wrote: The tower, in this case, specifically exists because of the station (or the station was built there because the vertical mineshaft was already there)
The tower is there because every shaft mine needs one

BTW, a "coal loader" (even in NSW) is something like this -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Coal ... castle.jpg.

regards
Michael
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Thanks fellas for all the feedback. It all appreciated.

Looking back through history: "In 1905 Richard Sutcliffe invented the first conveyor belts for use in coal mines which revolutionized the mining industry." See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conveyor_belt for more information.

The photo I been making my design from is dated 16 October 1903. Conveyor belts was not invented at this time.

Anyway:

My intentions with this is to proved the pieces separately and that way players can use it how they wish.

The Coal Loading Facilities for loading coal trains.
Coal Loading Facilities.png
Coal Loading Facilities.png (14.23 KiB) Viewed 2551 times
They will have at least 4 parts so they can be joined and made what ever length you wish and to what ever design you wish.

The Mine Shaft Tower section will be a separate piece.
Mine Shaft Tower.png
Mine Shaft Tower.png (11.54 KiB) Viewed 2551 times
You can choose if you wish to add this or not.

Thanks Quast65 for finding the problem with the tower .. I should learn how to count and counted the posts :) .. if I move it to edge of tile this will make a difference .. don't know why I never thought of that. :shock:

The hard part designing this is the railway sidings in the photo are close together, where in game the tracks are further apart, so make it a bit difficult making it to scale.

Cheers all
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Been making a few adjustments to the Coal Loader and Mine Shaft Tower.

Doing what Quast65 mentioned and moved the tower and lowed it a bit.
Mine Shaft Tower 2.png
Mine Shaft Tower 2.png (9.93 KiB) Viewed 2520 times
This will be a separate piece to the Coal Loader so players can choose if they wish to use it.

I hoping if this was built next to a Industry Coal Mine that it could look ok.

I found some more photos of this Coal Mine .. so I hope eventually make my own Coal Mine to go with my Industry set to match what I doing here.

In 1910 there was a mine explosion.
Killingworth Colliery Mine explosion 7 December 1910.png
Killingworth Colliery Mine explosion 7 December 1910.png (127.36 KiB) Viewed 2520 times
Lucky no one was in the mine at the time except a horse.

The 40 tons of unrecognisable iron, cages, twisted steel, skips, and thousands of feet of steel cable has been lifted bodily from the bottom of the pit and hurled with terrific violence into the top of this framework.

If like to read full story about this go to http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/15200876

The Coal Loaders I will be re-building them and make them a bit narrower.

Cheers all
Soot Happens
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Looks great!!! :bow:

Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Those roof textures are awesome. Great job :)

Return to “Graphics Development”