[OTTD] Belgian Train Set ~ Development thread

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

[OTTD] Belgian Train Set ~ Development thread

Post by NekoMaster »

Welcome!

This is the development thread for the Belgian Train Set
Now available on BaNaNaS/Online Content!

Heres the current vehicle list :)

As I've never seen a train set for Belgium and I'm sure theres Belgian players out there that may want to play with such a train set, I've decided to try my hand at putting together a Belgian Train Set.

I plan on including engines, mu's and rolling stock from Belgium (from the first to the most recent rolling stock and engines) in Realistic and eventually 2cc Company colored liveries (Basically taking the 2 most significant colors of a real livery and replace them with company colors)

For now I'm working on collecting data for the train set so I can have as accurate specs for trains, coaches and wagons as possible. I've already got a handful of Locomotives but I'm having issues with getting all the data for steam engines and any specs on multiple units.

Dropbox : Belgian Train Set Data Sheet (OpenDocument Format)
(Should be view-able in most browsers when you click the link, otherwise you'll have to download it)

Any help collecting data for the dates, power, speed, weight, and traction for each class, coach and wagon would be really appreciated!

People are also free to try their hand at drawing sprites for anything that hasn't already been covered with a realistic livery, as the 2cc Trains sprites are just place holders for now.

ALSO, there are a few issues I hope to fix while making this set before I call it complete.

1) I may be Canadian but I'm not well versed with French and I dont know any Dutch. Thus everything will be in English
until I have a translater to make French and Dutch language files for the set.

2) I'm still very green with coding so I can't do any fancy features or things I really want to do, like having the ability to toggle the selectrion for liveries (I would like to be able to have a Parameter for : Real Liveries, 2cc Liveries, and a Refit option so players can have both)

3) I still dont know how to make the Electric MU cars/trailers appear with powered sprites only when players put in a powered wagon. I want it so that when you place a unpowered MU Wagon in, it doesnt show a pantograph or any electrical gear on top. Powered MU Wagons should only have the Pantographs and roof mounted gear.

If anyone is curious, heres the link to the dropbox folder where I keep the project and source code. It constantly syncs so come back every now and then to see if there are any changes to the code or files.

Dropbox : "Belgian Train Set" Project and Source

Any help with data collection and drawing sprites would be appreciated! You can post here in this thread or contact me via Private Messages.

I'm also available on the OpenTTD Discord server ( https://discord.gg/0nQXSRX64lIL1zk4 )
Last edited by NekoMaster on 23 Nov 2017 22:41, edited 5 times in total.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] Belgian Train Set ~ Development thread

Post by Quast65 »

Cool!!

Have you tried contacting dldwg? The topicstarter of this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75282&hilit=belgian#p1176846
Maybe he can help you with data or even graphics (I believe he had drawn some things).

Good luck with it! :bow:
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Quast65 wrote:Cool!!

Have you tried contacting dldwg? The topicstarter of this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75282&hilit=belgian#p1176846
Maybe he can help you with data or even graphics (I believe he had drawn some things).

Good luck with it! :bow:
Thanks, I gave them a message, hopefully they get it soon enough
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

There was an even older Belgian train set attempt ... back in 2004.

regards
Michael
Nondidjos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nondidjos »

michael blunck wrote:There was an even older Belgian train set attempt ... back in 2004.
l
Thanks Michael! We will try to perhaps contact the original contributors,

Cheers, Noni
I sprite sometimes, currently working on the BTS (Belgian Train Set) and a World War GRF (kinda).

Discord; 'nondidjos#8585
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Nondidjos wrote: Thanks Michael! We will try to perhaps contact the original contributors,
The train set´s tracking table is still online: http://users.telenet.be/jwijnants/ttd/

regards
Michael
Nondidjos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nondidjos »

michael blunck wrote:
Nondidjos wrote: Thanks Michael! We will try to perhaps contact the original contributors,
The train set´s tracking table is still online: http://users.telenet.be/jwijnants/ttd/
Thank you very much!
I sprite sometimes, currently working on the BTS (Belgian Train Set) and a World War GRF (kinda).

Discord; 'nondidjos#8585
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I'd like to mention here that I'm working on a new more expansive data sheet so that I can have everything covered that I can find. Not everything maybe be possible but at least I have more then enough data with locomotives at least to have a rather expansive train set.
Nondidjos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nondidjos »

We've been working hard (also slacking pretty hard) and I can safely say that we have made quite some progress;
Screenshot from 2017-09-09 22-43-34.png
(163.08 KiB) Not downloaded yet
In game screenshots are coming soon™

Stay tuned!

Discord; 'nondidjos#8585
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I added a vehicle list to the first post so people can see what we have so far.

I hope to keep it updated as we go.

Perhaps seeing what we have available will entice players and maybe bring in some help :)
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Very nice progress!!
I look forward to what you can come up with (especially regarding the slow-trains that used to go just over the border into the Netherlands, like this one: https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS75 )
:bow:
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Nondidjos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nondidjos »

Quast65 wrote: I look forward to what you can come up with (especially regarding the slow-trains that used to go just over the border into the Netherlands, like this one: https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS75 )
:bow:
well, we have the ICR up and ready to roll;
CaptureTTD.PNG
CaptureTTD.PNG (58.11 KiB) Viewed 2231 times
still debating how to make it (as in EMU or just a wagon) in game but thats not too big of an issue,
but we will definitely will get that beauty in there, as well as the other EMU's that belgium may have had/still has.

Cheers, Noni.

Discord; 'nondidjos#8585
Nondidjos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nondidjos »

Hey everyone, here are some sneaky peeky screenshots on some of the trains we have successfully implemented, all of these are subject to major changes, and the wagons are only there for demonstartion purposes, none of them will be in the set most probably, let's get started :)

Class 11:
Noni corp., May 12th, 2148.png
(82.82 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Class 77:
Noni corp., Nov 23rd, 2147.png
(95.8 KiB) Not downloaded yet
JT 66 CWR:
Noni corp., May 1st, 2148.png
(96.52 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Class 13:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g7ctfvkl1h2hi ... 7.png?dl=0
Class 29 Bombardier:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j077fshl1jol1 ... 8.png?dl=0

And many more I haven't showed you/are still to come! (I know these arent the best screeshots you could dream of, but its only intended as a sneak peek)

Cheers, Noni.
Last edited by Nondidjos on 16 Sep 2017 19:13, edited 3 times in total.

Discord; 'nondidjos#8585
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Good luck with this. Some help from my part: There are several Belgian vehicles in the Dutch Trainset and the 2cc TrainsInNML set, so you could look at that for stats (and possibly sprites if you follow their licenses).

One question from me, why not host this on the OpenTTDCoop Devzone? Then you have version control, the webtranslator that people can use to translate this set, and automatic builds.
NekoMaster wrote:1) I may be Canadian but I'm not well versed with French and I dont know any Dutch. Thus everything will be in English
until I have a translater to make French and Dutch language files for the set.
See my previous comment on the Devzone.
2) I'm still very green with coding so I can't do any fancy features or things I really want to do, like having the ability to toggle the selectrion for liveries (I would like to be able to have a Parameter for : Real Liveries, 2cc Liveries, and a Refit option so players can have both)
You would need a parameter, and several switches. 1 for the cargo_subtype_text (as that will be shared between all vehicles), and some switch-chains to end up at the correct livery (depending on parameter value and if possible, selected cargo_subtype).
3) I still dont know how to make the Electric MU cars/trailers appear with powered sprites only when players put in a powered wagon. I want it so that when you place a unpowered MU Wagon in, it doesnt show a pantograph or any electrical gear on top. Powered MU Wagons should only have the Pantographs and roof mounted gear.
If you implement them the same way as they are in the 2cc TrainsInNML, each vehicle to which they may be attached would have 2 livery override blocks, one for the unpowered wagon and one for the powered wagon. In the block of the unpowered wagon, you point to the spritesets without a pantograph, in the block for the powered wagon, you point to the spritesets with pantographs.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Transportman wrote:Good luck with this. Some help from my part: There are several Belgian vehicles in the Dutch Trainset and the 2cc TrainsInNML set, so you could look at that for stats (and possibly sprites if you follow their licenses).

One question from me, why not host this on the OpenTTDCoop Devzone? Then you have version control, the webtranslator that people can use to translate this set, and automatic builds.
I dont know how to use the DevZone or other stuff like that. Right now I'm just working with what i have and it works well. the only issue is that having everything synced to my dropbox means that if I screw something up then it'll be saved permanently. though I'm good enough with coding now to be able to fix most of my screw ups.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

NekoMaster wrote:[the only issue is that having everything synced to my dropbox means that if I screw something up then it'll be saved permanently. though I'm good enough with coding now to be able to fix most of my screw ups.
Dunno if personal Dropbox has it, but Dropbox for Business has a version history for each file, which has worked fine the few times I've used the feature. ;)
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

andythenorth wrote:
NekoMaster wrote:[the only issue is that having everything synced to my dropbox means that if I screw something up then it'll be saved permanently. though I'm good enough with coding now to be able to fix most of my screw ups.
Dunno if personal Dropbox has it, but Dropbox for Business has a version history for each file, which has worked fine the few times I've used the feature. ;)
I dont have the money for something like that. Plus I'm pretty sure that regular dropbox doesnt have that feature.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

andythenorth wrote: Looks like you get 30 days in regular dropbox
Would be the first set finished in <= 30 days.

regards
Michael
Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

michael blunck wrote:
andythenorth wrote: Looks like you get 30 days in regular dropbox
Would be the first set finished in <= 30 days.

regards
Michael
At the risk of going way off topic that sounds like the ideal challenge for e forum "group build" like they have on a modelling sites. A sort of competition to do a fully working grf in 1 month. :D

Return to “Graphics Development”